• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

I think the reason the market is leaning toward the original run vs a smaller store run is due to the fact there are a ton of shop variants for every book... Not only does it confuse people, it saturates the market and people don't want to guess which shop variant is going to be the hot one out of the bunch... So they don't go after any...

guess which shop variant is going to be the hot one

I always buy the one I like best....

I'm not buying your "Not only does it confuse people, it saturates the market" logic...

Example: Black Mask keeps churning out WCNGH show variants

Nobody's confused. The market's not saturated.

You guys are lapping it up.

If the same books were printed for a shop....

You'd be confused & market saturated.

Anyway...

The market will correct itself.

Cream rises to the top.

In each case the best looking / most limited books are the ones that will win.

Your example says it all. BLACK MASK is churning out variants. Most of us would much rather support the creative team than someone looking for nothing more than a pay day.

The market is the market. The only possible reason you state the market will correct itself is probably due to a loss of interest on your variants in hopes to bring some sales back. You know your variants, the ones that will be similarly compared to the 90's drek we so ill speak of.

And no Larry, I have not been burned on retailer variants. Not in the least. I just feel the over priced cash grab on retailer variants out of the gate is seriously hurting the stability of the industry. It's one thing if the market sets itself, but for the retailer to do it knowing it will hurt the collectors in the long haul or have them walk away is another.

I think the reason the market is leaning toward the original run vs a smaller store run is due to the fact there are a ton of shop variants for every book... Not only does it confuse people, it saturates the market and people don't want to guess which shop variant is going to be the hot one out of the bunch... So they don't go after any...

I'm not buying your "Not only does it confuse people, it saturates the market" logic...

Anyway...

Cream rises to the top.

Show variants are more limited than shop variants. 1 hand in the race vs. 15 hands.

I appreciate your insight.

On a similar note. What do people think of the rob liefeld store exclusive for Deadpool #1? I think I read there will only be 1500 copies.

I found the store that Rob worked with for this. http://www.bigredcomics.com

3,000 color / 1,500 sketch

Thank you. I imagine the regular cover will probably hit 200,000 copies.

Anyway...

Cream rises to the top.

Your example says it all. BLACK MASK is churning out variants. Most of us would much rather support the creative team than someone looking for nothing more than a pay day.

The market is the market. The only possible reason you state the market will correct itself is probably due to a loss of interest on your variants in hopes to bring some sales back. You know your variants, the ones that will be similarly compared to the 90's drek we so ill speak of.

And no Larry, I have not been burned on retailer variants. Not in the least. I just feel the over priced cash grab on retailer variants out of the gate is seriously hurting the stability of the industry. It's one thing if the market sets itself, but for the retailer to do it knowing it will hurt the collectors in the long haul or have them walk away is another.

Most of us would much rather support the creative team than someone looking for nothing more than a pay day

lol.

Where do you think the books come from?

We buy them from the creative team. In volume.

So by your logic, unless you purchase a comic directly from the creator you're not supporting them?!

Hilarious.

Anyway...

Cream rises to the top.

Show variants are more limited than shop variants. 1 hand in the race vs. 15 hands.

Show variants are more limited than shop variants

Sometimes they are.

Sometimes they are not.

Entirely case by case basis.

Anyway...

Cream rises to the top.

Most of us would much rather support the creative team than someone looking for nothing more than a pay day

lol.

So by your logic, unless you purchase a comic directly from the creator you're not supporting them?!

Hilarious.

You missed the point. Not surprising. You are a middle man with his hand out as he sets the market value. You are not an employee of a publisher or a creator of the books whom I'd rather support.

The shops IMO that keep it classy that offer a retailer variant for fun, to create buzz for the title, make a small profit is one thing. Not the likes of you who create small print runs (unverified how many you actually print) just to gouge collectors.

Just my opinion but I feel doing this is horrible for the industry and screams greed. You can peddle your know it all nonsense and books all you want. All I see it as is pathetic. The real winners sell themselves.

Anyway...

Cream rises to the top.

lol.

Hilarious.

You missed the point. Not surprising. You are a middle man with his hand out as he sets the market value. You are not an employee of a publisher or a creator of the books whom I'd rather support.

The shops IMO that keep it classy that offer a retailer variant for fun, to create buzz for the title, make a small profit is one thing. Not the likes of you who create small print runs (unverified how many you actually print) just to gouge collectors.

Just my opinion but I feel doing this is horrible for the industry and screams greed. You can peddle your know it all nonsense and books all you want. All I see it as is pathetic. The real winners sell themselves.

Every shop is a "middle man." And shops are in business to sell books. Generally they're not there to advertise books, unless the end goal is to sell more of those books. A good shop of course will promote books to their customers that they think their customers will like, because they want their customer to be happy, which keeps them coming back to buy more books. Making a buck doesn't *necessarily* make one a bad guy.

Anyway...

Cream rises to the top.

lol.

Hilarious.

Every shop is a "middle man." And shops are in business to sell books. Generally they're not there to advertise books, unless the end goal is to sell more of those books. A good shop of course will promote books to their customers that they think their customers will like, because they want their customer to be happy, which keeps them coming back to buy more books. Making a buck doesn't *necessarily* make one a bad guy.

A shop that distributes books from Diamond is not part of the discussion. Everyone is well aware they are open for the business of making sales. This is about certain retailer variants.

What defines a bad guy?

Trolling?

Gouging collectors by setting the market value?

This?

http://graphicpolicy.com/2012/10/18/larry-doherty-and-larrys-comics-at-it-again-this-time-hate-speech-towards-transgenders/

Maybe this?

http://southern4life.blogspot.com/2011/08/ignorant-fool-alert-larry-doherty-of.html

Yeah, everyone will run to buy up Phantoms when the "market corrects itself". :facepalm:

Anyway...

Cream rises to the top.

lol.

Hilarious.

A shop that distributes books from Diamond is not part of the discussion. Everyone is well aware they are open for the business of making sales. This is about certain retailer variants.

What defines a bad guy?

Trolling?

This?

http://graphicpolicy.com/2012/10/18/larry-doherty-and-larrys-comics-at-it-again-this-time-hate-speech-towards-transgenders/

Maybe this?

http://southern4life.blogspot.com/2011/08/ignorant-fool-alert-larry-doherty-of.html

Yeah, everyone will run to buy up Phantoms when the "market corrects itself". :facepalm:

I like how the comment section of the Graphic Policy blog says I'm a registered sex offender.

Again.

Hilarious.

Anyway...

Cream rises to the top.

lol.

Hilarious.

What defines a bad guy?

Trolling?

This?

Maybe this?

I was commenting very generally about the shop variant thing. For some small publishers, having a shop support a book by getting a store variant may be the thing that helps keep the company afloat.

Anyway...

Cream rises to the top.

lol.

Hilarious.

What defines a bad guy?

Trolling?

This?

Maybe this?

A shop that distributes books from Diamond is not part of the discussion

99.99% of my comics come from my primary supplier: Diamond Comics, Inc.

Sooo, are we good here?

:)

You missed the point. Not surprising.

The mere fact that you start with an insulting, inflammatory comment speaks volumes. You've got an axe to grind.

Common trolling tactics.

You are a middle man

Yes. I represent publishers & creators products to the end user.

I'm the middle link in the supply chain.

It's my job. Hardly a secret.

with his hand out as he sets the market value.

Cover price in my shop. That price is set by the publisher / creator. They decide the retail value of their product. The 'market" determines if that is high or low.

You are not an employee of a publisher or a creator of the books whom I'd rather support.

This is where you really let your crazy flag fly.

Honestly, you can support a publisher or creator buck naked from your couch by making a purchase on Amazon. You don't have to give them the money in person to be a supporter. Honest.

The shops IMO that keep it classy that offer a retailer variant for fun

I've produced variants for fun & given many away Free for events but; that's hardly a viable long term business model. This is my shops 28th year in business & I think I've got 28 more in me...

to create buzz for the title,

Ask the creators & publisher I work with if I create buzz.

Go ahead. Ask.

( you're NOT going to like what you hear )

make a small profit is one thing. Not the likes of you who create small print runs (unverified how many you actually print) just to gouge collectors.

Just my opinion but I feel doing this is horrible for the industry and screams greed. You can peddle your know it all nonsense and books all you want. All I see it as is pathetic. The real winners sell themselves

There goes that crazy flag again.

I think you might need to go take your medication.

*block engaged*

We shall never speak again.

Chumplestilsken.

Edited by LarrysComics

Anyway...

Cream rises to the top.

lol.

Hilarious.

What defines a bad guy?

Trolling?

This?

Maybe this?

A shop that distributes books from Diamond is not part of the discussion

99.99% of my comics come from my primary supplier: Diamond Comics, Inc.

Sooo, are we good here?

:)

You missed the point. Not surprising.

The mere fact that you start with an insulting, inflammatory comment speaks volumes. You've got an axe to grind.

Common trolling tactics.

You are a middle man

Yes. I represent publishers & creators products to the end user.

I'm the middle link in the supply chain.

It's my job. Hardly a secret.

with his hand out as he sets the market value.

Cover price in my shop. That price is set by the publisher / creator. They decide the retail value of their product. The 'market" determines if that is high or low.

You are not an employee of a publisher or a creator of the books whom I'd rather support.

This is where you really let your crazy flag fly.

Honestly, you can support a publisher or creator buck naked from your couch by making a purchase on Amazon. You don't have to give them the money in person to be a supporter. Honest.

The shops IMO that keep it classy that offer a retailer variant for fun

I've produced variants for fun & given many away Free for events but; that's hardly a viable long term business model. This is my shops 28th year in business & I think I've got 28 more in me...

to create buzz for the title,

Ask the creators & publisher I work with if I create buzz.

Go ahead. Ask.

( you're NOT going to like what you hear )

make a small profit is one thing. Not the likes of you who create small print runs (unverified how many you actually print) just to gouge collectors.

Just my opinion but I feel doing this is horrible for the industry and screams greed. You can peddle your know it all nonsense and books all you want. All I see it as is pathetic. The real winners sell themselves

There goes that crazy flag again.

I think you might need to go take your medication.

*block engaged*

We shall never speak again.

Chumplestilsken.

So, still nothing about my opinion that your unverified micro print runs or you setting the market price on them on eBay etc to line your pocket is bad for the industry rather than creating a variant for the fun of it along with a small profit.

No Larry, I'm not crazy and don't take any medications. Real classy of you to say though.

Very much so like many things that come out of your mouth.

Anyway...

Cream rises to the top.

lol.

Hilarious.

Wasn't some of the above stated points led or helped lead to the 90's bottoming out of the market? Variants upon variants printed up before and after the first printings as "collector's items" Only difference between then and now is overprinting became the norm, collectors stopped buying as well as the speculators. The same gimmicks were used then to sell the variants albeit less hologram & metallic ink covers still I am concerned about the future here. Am I the only one who has noticed last 9 months plus nothing stays or gets remotely hot at all even with a media announcement?

Edited by natevegas

Anyway...

Cream rises to the top.

lol.

Hilarious.

Wasn't some of the above stated points led or helped lead to the 90's bottoming out of the market? Variants upon variants printed up before and after the first printings as "collector's items" Only difference between then and now is overprinting became the norm, collectors stopped buying as well as the speculators. The same gimmicks were used then to sell the variants then as now albeit less hologram & metallic ink covers still I am concerned about the future here. Am I the only one who has noticed last 9 months plus nothing stays or gets remotely hot at all even with a media announcement?

In the 90's the content was generally weak.

The customer base was very narrow. Males 18-40

Publishers were creating variant covers for themselves to distribute. *mostly.

Today, IMHO content is as strong as it's ever been.

The customer base is diverse as it's ever been.

Publishers are selling variant covers to shops.

Smart retailers chose books with content they think might have legs.

This ain't the nineties.

Wasn't some of the above stated points led or helped lead to the 90's bottoming out of the market? Variants upon variants printed up before and after the first printings as "collector's items" Only difference between then and now is overprinting became the norm, collectors stopped buying as well as the speculators. The same gimmicks were used then to sell the variants albeit less hologram & metallic ink covers still I am concerned about the future here. Am I the only one who has noticed last 9 months plus nothing stays or gets remotely hot at all even with a media announcement?

Image & Black Mask publish books that get & stay hot.

Alot of books that debuted in the past 9 months have received media deals, but their "hotness" doesn't last because, I think, the comic is still new, has a huge print run, and untested in the long run.

OT-- Anyone have a copy of Contest of Champions #1 (Yu variant) with a PURPLE background?

I thought all copies had a blue background but one of my copies is distinctively purple. Not trying to create a "variant of a variant" scenario; was just curious if anyone has seen this anomaly.

Thx!

Meck

OT-- Anyone have a copy of Contest of Champions #1 (Yu variant) with a PURPLE background?

I thought all copies had a blue background but one of my copies is distinctively purple. Not trying to create a "variant of a variant" scenario; was just curious if anyone has seen this anomaly.

Thx!

Meck

That is a tough one, all the photos from the bay could go either way. I think we would need side by side photos to see if there truly is a difference.

Thx!

Meck

That's probably just a matter of the magenta running a little strong and/or the cyan running a little weak during a portion of the print run. Variations (not variants) during production happen all the time.

In the 90's the content was generally weak.

The customer base was very narrow. Males 18-40

Sandman, Preacher, Hellblazer and a slew of other Vertigo titles that attracted adult readers of every age and gender were weak? Yeah sure meh