• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,786 posts in this topic

How do those of you who purchase incentive variants feel about all of these books being let go cheap and in bulk? It seems to me that it should seriously devaluing those books, and would make me question whether I would pay a premium for any future incentives

That is just it, the 1:10 ratio is not true and never was. 1:10 ratio is to buy them, not print them. The publisher is not going to pulp unsold copies just to keep the ratio, they are going to sell them off as best they can. In this case it looks like they are selling them to stores like 5 Below. A good idea if you ask me.

One LCS near me can often get extra copies a week or two after initial release: "I am in good with the DC rep" is what he told me when I asked how this was possible. The Kubert variant for Batman 40 is one example, three more showed up at his store about 2-3 weeks after initial release.

That is just it, the 1:10 ratio is not true and never was. 1:10 ratio is to buy them, not print them. The publisher is not going to pulp unsold copies just to keep the ratio, they are going to sell them off as best they can. In this case it looks like they are selling them to stores like 5 Below. A good idea if you ask me.

One LCS near me can often get extra copies a week or two after initial release: "I am in good with the DC rep" is what he told me when I asked how this was possible. The Kubert variant for Batman 40 is one example, three more showed up at his store about 2-3 weeks after initial release.

This is why I don't pay much more for a variant than the regular cover. I think most people have caught on to this recently. The regular Ms. Marvel #1 outsells the McKelvie variant and it's supposed to be a 10:1 or 25:1, I can't remember which but the regular cover brings a premium and doesn't even show the title character's face.

I like variant covers but I don't like paying extra for them. The only time I feel comfortable with the estimates are when the creators, like Tim from Enormous, or the shop owner, like Larry with the Phantom program, state a number of copies produced.

This is why I don't pay much more for a variant than the regular cover. I think most people have caught on to this recently. The regular Ms. Marvel #1 outsells the McKelvie variant and it's supposed to be a 10:1 or 25:1, I can't remember which but the regular cover brings a premium and doesn't even show the title character's face.

I like variant covers but I don't like paying extra for them. The only time I feel comfortable with the estimates are when the creators, like Tim from Enormous, or the shop owner, like Larry with the Phantom program, state a number of copies produced.

Right, because they actually know the number they're printing, and at least a minor part of the selling point is the AMOUNT that is printed.

As I've stated here before, with the comic company, there is no law or guideline or moral obligation to print x amount of a 1:10.

It is an incentive for the Direct Market to up their orders.

They can't print as many of them as they want to use for whatever they choose, as long as the cover those who meet the incentive.

Right, because they actually know the number they're printing, and at least a minor part of the selling point is the AMOUNT that is printed.

As I've stated here before, with the comic company, there is no law or guideline or moral obligation to print x amount of a 1:10.

It is an incentive for the Direct Market to up their orders.

They can't print as many of them as they want to use for whatever they choose, as long as the cover those who meet the incentive.

Is your last sentence what you mean it to be? I get the idea that they CAN print as many as they want...am I wrong here?

Edited by Bird

I like that NO ONE points out how some retailers call in FALSE damages and get HTF variants over and over again each week.

That happens...

But I like that NO ONE points out how some retailers order HTF variants & they arrive damaged & Diamond Regrets that they are out of stock...

NYX #3 is a hot book,but it's soon to be a burning inferno.

All over this one. I hope everyone else is too. She will skewer SpiderGwen. lol

(thumbs u Stay golden pony boy.

For those tracking the Spider-Man #4 1 in 10's from the Five Below packs, the one I bought today was in the middle, the books on the outside were Seekers of the Weird #2 1 in 25 Variant Pascal Campion cover and Ghost Rider #1 animal variant. Most of the packs they had were exactly the same, Original Sin #0 and Amazing Spider-Man 1.1: Learning to Crawl.

Edited by Brother J

I like that NO ONE points out how some retailers call in FALSE damages and get HTF variants over and over again each week.

That happens...

But I like that NO ONE points out how some retailers order HTF variants & they arrive damaged & Diamond Regrets that they are out of stock...

I've never heard that happen before. I'm not saying it doesn't happen - I just have never heard anyone say this happens.

That happens...

I've never heard that happen before. I'm not saying it doesn't happen - I just have never heard anyone say this happens.

Happened on my Renew Your Vows 1:50, so yeah, I had to take a damaged copy for my personal collection which sucks but I guess I'll have to beg Diamond to at least send my books VF right?