• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,825 posts in this topic

Along this line of thought what are the traits that people feel create the perfect storm of desirability as far as speculating on new comics. Here is what I came up with:

1. New Story/Character(s) Introduced (No reboots or established characters getting own series)

2. Highly Regarded Writer/Creative Team

3. Ongoing Title (Not limited)

4. Zero or very few variants.

5. Low Print Run.

Any others come to mind? (shrug)

:roflmao:

TV Show / Movie buzz

Good one. I think I would slide that in at number 3.

The little sister and grandma test.

If your little sister and grandma have both heard of the character... it (actually) matters.

Along this line of thought what are the traits that people feel create the perfect storm of desirability as far as speculating on new comics. Here is what I came up with:

1. New Story/Character(s) Introduced (No reboots or established characters getting own series)

5. Low Print Run.

If you're suggesting a "perfect storm," that suggest to me you want all of these things together. But you're unlikely to get #5 if #2 is already the case. Your best bet is recognizing that the team has talent which the collecting community hasn't fully recognized yet.

Given the criteria, Outcast by Kirkman and Azaceta is one recent book that comes closest to filling the criteria.

Agreed. I think you're just looking to hit on as many of these traits as possible.

Outcast is a good one and Enormous also comes to mind.

My updated list:

3. Upcoming TV Show/Movie Buzz

4. Ongoing Title (Not limited)

5. Zero or very few variants

6. Low Print Run

7. Great Cover

5. Low Print Run.

If you're suggesting a "perfect storm," that suggest to me you want all of these things together. But you're unlikely to get #5 if #2 is already the case. Your best bet is recognizing that the team has talent which the collecting community hasn't fully recognized yet.

Given the criteria, Outcast by Kirkman and Azaceta is one recent book that comes closest to filling the criteria.

Agreed. I think you're just looking to hit on as many of these traits as possible.

My updated list:

6. Low Print Run

7. Great Cover

1. Agreed, though I would venture a guess that something old and familiar will be a big winner in the New All New Very New Marvel U

2. It doesn't matter who writes or draws the story. It only matters that it is way above average or better to me.

3. This seems to matter more with Bronze and Copper Marvel and DC books. Especially on 2nd and 3rd tier characters.

4. The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, 30 Days of Night, Last of Us, Kingdom Come, and many more kind of make this up for debate imo.

5. I think Saga's popularity was increased because of the RRP variant #1. I do agree that more than 3 or 4 hurt more than help. Enormous probably wouldn't be as well known without the variants.

6. I think there simply needs to be more demand than supply. There were more than 170,000 1st print Batman #1 books and more than 35,000 copies of Saga.

7. Along with the cover, the story and interior art.

I would add

8. Internet word of mouth/big dealer hype. This causes everybody to take a look at a book. After they read it, then the collectors decide it's value.

9. Perception. It really doesn't matter if a book is really hard to find or not. If you check ebay, the hottest books out are available 24/7. Even Bronze books are very common in great condition but the thought that they might not be is what pushes the market.

5. Low Print Run.

Speculators jumping on a low print run book, buying all copies they can see online, then hyping on their own websites creating desirability. Wash, rinse, repeat.

5. Low Print Run.

My updated list:

6. Low Print Run

7. Great Cover

1. Agreed, though I would venture a guess that something old and familiar will be a big winner in the New All New Very New Marvel U

2. It doesn't matter who writes or draws the story. It only matters that it is way above average or better to me.

3. This seems to matter more with Bronze and Copper Marvel and DC books. Especially on 2nd and 3rd tier characters.

4. The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, 30 Days of Night, Last of Us, Kingdom Come, and many more kind of make this up for debate imo.

5. I think Saga's popularity was increased because of the RRP variant #1. I do agree that more than 3 or 4 hurt more than help. Enormous probably wouldn't be as well known without the variants.

6. I think there simply needs to be more demand than supply. There were more than 170,000 1st print Batman #1 books and more than 35,000 copies of Saga.

7. Along with the cover, the story and interior art.

I would add

8. Internet word of mouth/big dealer hype. This causes everybody to take a look at a book. After they read it, then the collectors decide it's value.

9. Perception. It really doesn't matter if a book is really hard to find or not. If you check ebay, the hottest books out are available 24/7. Even Bronze books are very common in great condition but the thought that they might not be is what pushes the market.

I'd also add collecting can defy all the above listed. Its like why are some WD #1 reprints going for hundreds of dollars while othesr are not ( yes some is due to low print run, cover art, etc) but sometimes the intangible plays into why something is desired. It is wanted just because. lol

Edited by natevegas

The list may work 70-80% of the time, but if it were so formulaic it would be much easier and more people doing it. Like Nate said, sometimes it's the intangibles that make a hit. Chew was a hit despite having very many qualities on the list, saga was a hit despite the print run, East or West didn't spark despite having a lot of boxes checked. That's why 'buy what you love' is important, cause unlike stocks, if comics tank you've still got something to cherish.

5. Low Print Run.

Speculators jumping on a low print run book, buying all copies they can see online, then hyping on their own websites creating desirability. Wash, rinse, repeat.

^^

The lemmings mentality and some just eat it up.

Edited by Fastballspecial

5. Low Print Run.

^^

examples?

5. Low Print Run.

^^

examples?

Does anybody really care about combo variants?

5. Low Print Run.

^^

examples?

Does anybody really care about combo variants?

Yes. Just because you do not, doesn't make it any less collectible to me. I love the damn things and I smile every time I get one in the mail. :)

5. Low Print Run.

There are two words to keep in mind when speculating on modern comics:

Harley Quinn

Two more words for extra credit:

Walking Dead

Harley Quinn

Walking Dead

You forgot another big one - Deadpool

These three titles are great to take to shows as they put you in the black at shows. (thumbs u

Harley Quinn

Walking Dead

You forgot another big one - Deadpool

These three titles are great to take to shows as they put you in the black at shows. (thumbs u

It didn't fit the theme.

Deadpool is only one word.