• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,770 posts in this topic

Venom Lethal Protector cracks me up.

(shrug)

Nostalgia?

Not to mention it looks really cool in a slab. Love the cover!

(shrug)

Nostalgia?

That book I see at cons anywhere from 15-75 dollars. Always makes me smile when I see it. lol

I used to have a CGC 9.9 copy.

Kicking myself for selling it!

Along this line of thought what are the traits that people feel create the perfect storm of desirability as far as speculating on new comics. Here is what I came up with:

1. New Story/Character(s) Introduced (No reboots or established characters getting own series)

2. Highly Regarded Writer/Creative Team

3. Ongoing Title (Not limited)

4. Zero or very few variants.

5. Low Print Run.

Any others come to mind? (shrug)

If you're suggesting a "perfect storm," that suggest to me you want all of these things together. But you're unlikely to get #5 if #2 is already the case. Your best bet is recognizing that the team has talent which the collecting community hasn't fully recognized yet.

Given the criteria, Outcast by Kirkman and Azaceta is one recent book that comes closest to filling the criteria.

Speculators jumping on a low print run book, buying all copies they can see online, then hyping on their own websites creating desirability. Wash, rinse, repeat.

^^

The lemmings mentality and some just eat it up.

examples?

This one took 30 seconds.

TB 45

When you say " hyping it up on their own websites" it sounds like you are taking about bloggers like comicsheatingup.net and others. Yes It only took you 30 seconds but to a link that actually might be relevant considering the pending Marvel reboot. That is not a good example. I don't see anything wrong with these listings. The book is a first appearance after all. Are these few seller hyping the book up or just listing based on info they gleaned from the websites you may or may not be referring to? I am not saying that what you suggest isn't happening but for the people who come here and are looking for information about modern books it would be nice to get an explanation as to what you are talking about.

I was going to list some more examples, but I hate long winded paragraphs so all be brief. That TBolt 45 is a perfect example because they list it on their site and say it going to be hot.

They then with NO data at all, to back up their pricing ask 400% over the going rate for the book when they list their copy/copies. Hoping a sucker will buy it them. Again no price data yet, and barely a glimmer of a trend.

So the web site has a "vested interest" in hoping this book takes off. Why? because they already bought several copies and hope to sell them at a bloated price realizing their profit. Having a "vested interest" in a book is not wrong per say, but acting in a way that demonstrates collusion is quite a different thing.

That's about the best explanation I can give you. I doubt you will agree, but it is what it is. I am quite sure I am not the only one that thinks and believes this.

That ain't brief!

Here's my attempt at a long winded paragraph,

I'm not sure how listing an item on Ebay represents collusion. Again I am just a bit confused. When you say "website" are you talking about the three listings for TB 45 on Ebay because they are not promoting this comic, they are trying to sell it based on info they probably got from some spec page like Bleeding Cool. I agree that a page like Bleeding Cool, comicsheatingup.net and others might write an article about a comic that has quickly become relevant to expand readership but there is no proof that anyone is doing so to sell the speculative book at a bloated price. Buyers should do their own research and be wary of penny-comics but are ultimately responsible for their own wise or poor investments. If a book is meant to retain its value then it will, with or without bloggers or groups who write about the flavor of the day. I was just hoping you would provide some examples of the sources behind your " wash,rinse, repeat" theory not examples of those who are using the information they find on BC and then list the item on Ebay. Now if you could find an article where someone writes about TB 45 and then that same person immediately lists 10 copies on Ebay at 29.99 then we might have something to discuss!

(shrug)

Nostalgia?

That book I see at cons anywhere from 15-75 dollars. Always makes me smile when I see it. lol

I used to have a CGC 9.9 copy.

Kicking myself for selling it!

Do not feel bad, i sold a gold last year for 30 and it was mint. :(

Along this line of thought what are the traits that people feel create the perfect storm of desirability as far as speculating on new comics. Here is what I came up with:

1. New Story/Character(s) Introduced (No reboots or established characters getting own series)

5. Low Print Run.

If you're suggesting a "perfect storm," that suggest to me you want all of these things together. But you're unlikely to get #5 if #2 is already the case. Your best bet is recognizing that the team has talent which the collecting community hasn't fully recognized yet.

Given the criteria, Outcast by Kirkman and Azaceta is one recent book that comes closest to filling the criteria.

Speculators jumping on a low print run book, buying all copies they can see online, then hyping on their own websites creating desirability. Wash, rinse, repeat.

^^

examples?

TB 45

When you say " hyping it up on their own websites" it sounds like you are taking about bloggers like comicsheatingup.net and others. Yes It only took you 30 seconds but to a link that actually might be relevant considering the pending Marvel reboot. That is not a good example. I don't see anything wrong with these listings. The book is a first appearance after all. Are these few seller hyping the book up or just listing based on info they gleaned from the websites you may or may not be referring to? I am not saying that what you suggest isn't happening but for the people who come here and are looking for information about modern books it would be nice to get an explanation as to what you are talking about.

I was going to list some more examples, but I hate long winded paragraphs so all be brief. That TBolt 45 is a perfect example because they list it on their site and say it going to be hot.

They then with NO data at all, to back up their pricing ask 400% over the going rate for the book when they list their copy/copies. Hoping a sucker will buy it them. Again no price data yet, and barely a glimmer of a trend.

So the web site has a "vested interest" in hoping this book takes off. Why? because they already bought several copies and hope to sell them at a bloated price realizing their profit. Having a "vested interest" in a book is not wrong per say, but acting in a way that demonstrates collusion is quite a different thing.

That's about the best explanation I can give you. I doubt you will agree, but it is what it is. I am quite sure I am not the only one that thinks and believes this.

That ain't brief!

I'm not sure how listing an item on Ebay represents collusion. Again I am just a bit confused. When you say "website" are you talking about the three listings for TB 45 on Ebay because they are not promoting this comic, they are trying to sell it based on info they probably got from some spec page like Bleeding Cool. I agree that a page like Bleeding Cool, comicsheatingup.net and others might write an article about a comic that has quickly become relevant to expand readership but there is no proof that anyone is doing so to sell the speculative book at a bloated price. Buyers should do their own research and be wary of penny-comics but are ultimately responsible for their own wise or poor investments. If a book is meant to retain its value then it will, with or without bloggers or groups who write about the flavor of the day. I was just hoping you would provide some examples of the sources behind your " wash,rinse, repeat" theory not examples of those who are using the information they find on BC and then list the item on Ebay. Now if you could find an article where someone writes about TB 45 and then that same person immediately lists 10 copies on Ebay at 29.99 then we might have something to discuss!

It will be time consuming to prove that one but I think it is possible.

5. Low Print Run.

^^

examples?

TB 45

So the web site has a "vested interest" in hoping this book takes off. Why? because they already bought several copies and hope to sell

That ain't brief!

It's unfortunate that so many buyers do not do research, have patience, and often fall into the hype web that's so often spun by sellers/sites.

And yes, of course some of the spec sites/G+ groups put a more refined focus on books they plan to sell. Not all but I'm quite sure a few sites do things such as taking tips (not the best idea to publish without doing homework) or swipe content from other sites without fact checking.

I just feel it's doing far more damage than good in the long run for the hobby. Last one I noticed was We Can Never Go Home sdcc variant. Cool cover sure, worth hundreds? Heck no! Larry also had one or two covers with a print run of 50 which were released when the book came out. BC throws it up after on their site (I would imagine from another tip...hmm) and a off the wall sale of hundreds makes it appear to be worth that. If you listen to the hype by the sites or G+ members it may be a really good idea to know their eBay usernames because MOST of them are sellers.

Joe Blow on G+ begins to hype, BC receives a tip, BC runs a tip, Joe Blow acts like the second coming, other spec sites run the hype or vice versa, Joe Blow and gang list more hyped books.

(Disclaimer: All speculation of course by me and nothing more than my opinion )

(re: Outcast #1)

Yeah, this sounds about right. I'm not sure where this other data is coming from.

GPA shows

Jul-20-2015 $75

Jul-19-2015 $75

Jul-18-2015 $55 Cert# 0237359023

Jul-17-2015 $75

Jul-17-2015 $67 Cert# 1220857006

Jul-17-2015 $100 Cert# 0500050015

Jul-16-2015 $75 Cert# 0240884015

Jul-16-2015 $80 Cert# 0240505002

Jul-15-2015 $80 Cert# 0240505002

Jul-15-2015 $75 Cert# 1163000013

Jul-15-2015 $72

Jul-15-2015 $75

Jul-14-2015 $71 Cert# 1305315012

People are paying that much, finish auctions prove that. I for one wouldnt pay over 50 for a copy. People are just supplying demand.

Oh I'm not denying that at all. It only takes one sale to set what people feel is the standard topped with site hype.

People are paying that much, finish auctions prove that. I for one wouldnt pay over 50 for a copy. People are just supplying demand.
I think the concern is that the people supplying the demand are also the people creating the demand, or in partnership with them. This practice is a conflict of interest, whether done intentionally or not. There is no law against it, but when I see someone do this, I question their ethics and generally don't do business with them. I don't think it's good for the hobby in the long term. It's a difficult accusation to prove and I am not pointing any fingers, but there are telltale signs.

Joe Blow on G+ begins to hype, BC receives a tip, BC runs a tip, Joe Blow acts like the second coming, other spec sites run the hype or vice versa, Joe Blow and gang list more hyped books.

Y'know, Joe Blow's not such a bad guy . . . once you get to know him. ;)lol

I think the concern is that the people supplying the demand are also the people creating the demand, or in partnership with them.

What's the difference between "supplying" demand and "creating" demand? :insane: Demand is demand. I don't think it means what you think it means. lol

Yeah, this sounds about right. I'm not sure where this other data is coming from.

GPA shows

Jul-20-2015 $75

Jul-19-2015 $75

Jul-17-2015 $75

Jul-15-2015 $72

Jul-15-2015 $75

Which data are you unsure about? This data that you quoted or the data that I compiled from the sold eBay listings? I'm confused.

I think the concern is that the people supplying the demand are also the people creating the demand, or in partnership with them. This practice is a conflict of interest, whether done intentionally or not. There is no law against it, but when I see someone do this, I question their ethics and generally don't do business with them. I don't think it's good for the hobby in the long term. It's a difficult accusation to prove and I am not pointing any fingers, but there are telltale signs.

So very well said. I'm sure it's a large demise for buyers that brings them to the decision to walk away from the hobby. It's without a doubt a sellers market. I just hope too many people don't get burned on hype books to the point they walk away forever and miss out on some stellar series.

The ones you are talking about. GPA shows this book selling like below. The recent CGC sales are nowhere near what your average is. Are you talking about yellow labels or something? It's pretty much a $75-$85 book recently. It could certainly increase, but to say the book is averaging what you said it is is inaccurate.

GPA shows

Jul-20-2015 $75

Jul-19-2015 $75

Jul-17-2015 $75

Jul-15-2015 $72

Jul-15-2015 $75

Which data are you unsure about? This data that you quoted or the data that I compiled from the sold eBay listings? I'm confused.