• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,822 posts in this topic

There are two words to keep in mind when speculating on modern comics:

Harley Quinn

Two more words for extra credit:

Walking Dead

You forgot another big one - Deadpool

These three titles are great to take to shows as they put you in the black at shows. (thumbs u

It didn't fit the theme.

Deadpool is only one word.

Ok: Dead Pool. :sumo:

Along this line of thought what are the traits that people feel create the perfect storm of desirability as far as speculating on new comics. Here is what I came up with:

1. New Story/Character(s) Introduced (No reboots or established characters getting own series)

2. Highly Regarded Writer/Creative Team

3. Ongoing Title (Not limited)

4. Zero or very few variants.

5. Low Print Run.

Any others come to mind? (shrug)

If you're suggesting a "perfect storm," that suggest to me you want all of these things together. But you're unlikely to get #5 if #2 is already the case. Your best bet is recognizing that the team has talent which the collecting community hasn't fully recognized yet.

Given the criteria, Outcast by Kirkman and Azaceta is one recent book that comes closest to filling the criteria.

Speculators jumping on a low print run book, buying all copies they can see online, then hyping on their own websites creating desirability. Wash, rinse, repeat.

^^

The lemmings mentality and some just eat it up.

examples?

This one took 30 seconds

TB 45

Edited by Fastballspecial

Along this line of thought what are the traits that people feel create the perfect storm of desirability as far as speculating on new comics. Here is what I came up with:

1. New Story/Character(s) Introduced (No reboots or established characters getting own series)

5. Low Print Run.

If you're suggesting a "perfect storm," that suggest to me you want all of these things together. But you're unlikely to get #5 if #2 is already the case. Your best bet is recognizing that the team has talent which the collecting community hasn't fully recognized yet.

Given the criteria, Outcast by Kirkman and Azaceta is one recent book that comes closest to filling the criteria.

Speculators jumping on a low print run book, buying all copies they can see online, then hyping on their own websites creating desirability. Wash, rinse, repeat.

^^

examples?

This one took 30 seconds

TB 45

Do I even have enough time to pull it out of a longbox??? :insane:

5. Low Print Run.

^^

examples?

This one took 30 seconds.

TB 45

When you say " hyping it up on their own websites" it sounds like you are taking about bloggers like comicsheatingup.net and others. Yes It only took you 30 seconds but to a link that actually might be relevant considering the pending Marvel reboot. That is not a good example. I don't see anything wrong with these listings. The book is a first appearance after all. Are these few seller hyping the book up or just listing based on info they gleaned from the websites you may or may not be referring to? I am not saying that what you suggest isn't happening but for the people who come here and are looking for information about modern books it would be nice to get an explanation as to what you are talking about.

5. Low Print Run.

^^

examples?

TB 45

When you say " hyping it up on their own websites" it sounds like you are taking about bloggers like comicsheatingup.net and others. Yes It only took you 30 seconds but to a link that actually might be relevant considering the pending Marvel reboot. That is not a good example. I don't see anything wrong with these listings. The book is a first appearance after all. Are these few seller hyping the book up or just listing based on info they gleaned from the websites you may or may not be referring to? I am not saying that what you suggest isn't happening but for the people who come here and are looking for information about modern books it would be nice to get an explanation as to what you are talking about.

Generally, I speculate on moderns that I like.

I promote material that I like.

It's my job.

5. Low Print Run.

^^

examples?

TB 45

Generally, I speculate on moderns that I like.

I promote material that I like.

It's my job.

Makes sense.

I still don’t underdstand why one should want Thunderbolts #45 specifically.

Isn’t Citizen V the second Zemo in disguise?

The thought is that this Citizen V moving forward is the John Watkins III version.

http://comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=4563

even CBdatabase does not list a first appearance, but has TB 45 first in the chronological appearance list. I read through 45 and could not find anything Watkins or Citizen V beyond maybe a un-named cameo I may have missed. This one needs actual readership investigation beyond the wiki-marvel whatever listings.

I seem to recall the Baron Zemo leading the Thunderbolts was the son of the original Baron Zemo, the same which led the new Masters of Evil in the classic, wonderful "Under Siege" storyline by Roger Stern.

Would this one be a relative? Anyway, this level of speculation is just ridiculous.

Buy Thunderbolts because you liked the title, that will be more credible. :screwy:

5. Low Print Run.

^^

examples?

TB 45

I was going to list some more examples, but I hate long winded paragraphs so all be brief. That TBolt 45 is a perfect example because they list it on their site and say it going to be hot.

They then with NO data at all, to back up their pricing ask 400% over the going rate for the book when they list their copy/copies. Hoping a sucker will buy it them. Again no price data yet, and barely a glimmer of a trend.

So the web site has a "vested interest" in hoping this book takes off. Why? because they already bought several copies and hope to sell them at a bloated price realizing their profit. Having a "vested interest" in a book is not wrong per say, but acting in a way that demonstrates collusion is quite a different thing.

That's about the best explanation I can give you. I doubt you will agree, but it is what it is. I am quite sure I am not the only one that thinks and believes this.

I seem to recall the Baron Zemo leading the Thunderbolts was the son of the original Baron Zemo, the same which led the new Masters of Evil in the classic, wonderful "Under Siege" storyline by Roger Stern.

Would this one be a relative? Anyway, this level of speculation is just ridiculous.

Buy Thunderbolts because you liked the title, that will be more credible. :screwy:

I really enjoyed the book till Marvel waved the white flag on around issue 60 or so. I thought it was the freshest idea Marvel had come up with in a long time.

Edited by Fastballspecial

I really enjoyed the book till Marvel waved the white flag on around issue 60 or so. I thought it was the freshest idea Marvel had come up with in a long tie.

When are people going to wake up that Marvel / Disney is not vesting in the long term. This reboot of #1's is going to continue until the facade is not working.

I really enjoyed the book till Marvel waved the white flag on around issue 60 or so. I thought it was the freshest idea Marvel had come up with in a long tie.

When are people going to wake up that Marvel / Disney is not vesting in the long term. This reboot of #1's is going to continue until the facade is not working.

every year, a new #1. Like a new TV season or DVD season.

every year, a new #1. Like a new TV season or DVD season.

It is beyond that some series are rebooted after issue 5 or 6. The gimmick won't last.

Okay, so there was some talk a couple weeks ago about Outcast #1 heating up. I bought the tpb and read it, loved it and thought, yeah, I will. So I picked up the cheapest slab on ebay at the time. I paid $116.06 CDN for my copy, it had free shipping. I just did a spreadsheet of all the sales of this in a 9.8 from July 10th until today and here's the results:

The highs were 2 on July 19th that sold for $245.67, the lows were mine from July 11th and one on July 10th for $107.60 CDN. The avg price with shipping over this span was $153.85 CDN. The data doesn't definitely say that this is trending upwards, there are too many ups and downs, but it does make me think I got a pretty good deal on mine :)

GPA shows

Jul-20-2015 $75

Jul-19-2015 $75

Jul-18-2015 $55 Cert# 0237359023

Jul-18-2015 $55 Cert# 0237359023

Jul-17-2015 $75

Jul-17-2015 $67 Cert# 1220857006

Jul-17-2015 $100 Cert# 0500050015

Jul-16-2015 $75 Cert# 0240884015

Jul-16-2015 $80 Cert# 0240505002

Jul-15-2015 $80 Cert# 0240505002

Jul-15-2015 $75 Cert# 1163000013