• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,793 posts in this topic

To bad it's not the 1st full appearance of Damian.

This is a fact.

Will it hold its value in the very long run? I say 656 will be the golden boy in many years to come.

Is 655 hot now? No doubt about it. Especially with all the pump.

Rarity trumps content in regards to modern first appearances.

To bad it's not the 1st full appearance of Damian.

This is a fact.

Will it hold its value in the very long run? I say 656 will be the golden boy in many years to come.

Is 655 hot now? No doubt about it. Especially with all the pump.

See this is where you are late to the party. Initially 656 was getting more attention and sales, then once the market found out there was a VARIANT for 655, making it a desireable "more collectible than the regular cover" excuse, 656 fell in price and 655 a nd variant have continued to rise since.

656 has seen it's peak I'm afraid.

656 was never the book.

655 is more than just the Damian reveal at the end (emphasis on the "reveal" part, where we find out Batman has a son, which, to me, is more important than the fullness of his appearance), it is also the book which marks the beginning of Morrison's run on Batman. Like him or not, Morrison's influence in the character's history is tremendous and will continue to reverberate for years. As if that weren't enough, the opening scene starts with the Joker getting shot in the face and thrown off a building (which also had a far-reaching effect in that character's history). There's a lot more going on in that issue than just the last page.

The fact that there's a variant cover helps add a rarity factor, but the standard cover is, to me, even more iconic than the variant and commands a decent price on its own. The only thing holding it back is the bloated print run.

655 is more than just the Damian reveal at the end (emphasis on the "reveal" part, where we find out Batman has a son, which, to me, is more important than the fullness of his appearance), it is also the book which marks the beginning of Morrison's run on Batman. Like him or not, Morrison's influence in the character's history is tremendous and will continue to reverberate for years. As if that weren't enough, the opening scene starts with the Joker getting shot in the face and thrown off a building (which also had a far-reaching effect in that character's history). There's a lot more going on in that issue than just the last page.

The fact that there's a variant cover helps add a rarity factor, but the standard cover is, to me, even more iconic than the variant and commands a decent price on its own. The only thing holding it back is the bloated print run.

Yes. Very good points! Unfortunately it's the print runs that weaken most of these books (thank God for cgc and 9.8's) but good to have availability and accessibility to the casual reader and collector. They still are the backbone of the hobby.

Well the philosophy seems to be pump rare variants.

I'm not knocking "pumping" it's essential to bring attention to certain books to buy and sell. It's what makes the market go around.

It's just the variant thing scares the life out of me as a "collector".

I buy to keep. Not to flip.

I wonder if these variants are going to hold any weight in the future?

Is it better to buy the tried and true "1st full"?

These are questions I ask myself.

Edited by Juice Head

I'm not knocking "pumping" it's essential to bring attention to certain books to buy and sell. It's what makes the market go around.

4 years ago I would have agreed fully.

Let the new group of card collectors die out. They are slabbing so many books ebay is littered with them.

Id like to think it would return to first full app, but it isn't going to any time soon.

4 years ago I would have agreed fully.

Let the new group of card collectors die out. They are slabbing so many books ebay is littered with them.

Id like to think it would return to first full app, but it isn't going to any time soon.

lol..."card collectors" that's kinda a new term for me but I get what's going on ;)

Always excited to see where the market and hobby goes. As long as we don't hit the "90's" low!

Batman 655 variant is not "rare" by any stretch. Not going to get into the whole print run / ratio / copies printed thing again because that horse has been beaten to death, but this is one of those books that was discounted and blown out cheap in bulk. One shop I frequent had close to 100 of them a few years ago and they definitely didn't order 1,000 copies of the regular cover

Batman 655 variant is not "rare" by any stretch. Not going to get into the whole print run / ratio / copies printed thing again because that horse has been beaten to death, but this is one of those books that was discounted and blown out cheap in bulk. One shop I frequent had close to 100 of them a few years ago and they definitely didn't order 1,000 copies of the regular cover

It is rare compared to the regular covers of 655 and 656. And that is all that matters in regards to first appearances in the modern age in the current market. The lesser printed book is THE book regardless of content.

Yikes. Of course, ten years on most of those have been absorbed and are generally being parsed out by individuals here and there, but that's kind of crazy.

The CGC Census also shows some surprising numbers:

Regular - 162 (9.8) | 246 (Universal) | 318 (Total)

Variant - 127 (9.8) | 241 (Universal) | 328 (Total)

It is rare compared to the regular covers of 655 and 656. And that is all that matters in regards to first appearances in the modern age in the current market. The lesser printed book is THE book regardless of content.

In terms of comic books, when I think of rare, I think of hard to find golden age books. There seems to be a large amount of collectors who use the term rare much differently than some of us others.

Didn't Overstreet used to have actual figures they'd use to decide if a book was rare or scarce etc?

In terms of comic books, when I think of rare, I think of hard to find golden age books. There seems to be a large amount of collectors who use the term rare much differently than some of us others.

Didn't Overstreet used to have actual figures they'd use to decide if a book was rare or scarce etc?

But you're in the modern forum where it's used for brevity and because it sounds nice when attached to a book one is selling. Its use is a mixture of convenience and used-car salesmanship.

But you're in the modern forum where it's used for brevity and because it sounds nice when attached to a book one is selling. Its use is a mixture of convenience and used-car salesmanship.

Well, that and the statement was "It is rare compared to the regular covers of 655 and 656", not compared to Golden Age books. I don't think you can really take issue with that statement. It's all relative based on what you're comparing it with. Someone who collects Faberge Eggs or Stradivariuses could teach us all a thing or two about rarity.

There was a thread in CG discussing rarity, you can find that thread here. There's some good feedback in it.

The blog post is here and includes some of the forum feedback

Interesting indeed! Seems to be about as many copies available. I'm very shocked actually.

I'm glad I missed out and did not buy one. Maybe the price will at least correct itself.

The only way the price drops is if Damian Wayne dives in popularity. As we see time and again with 1st apps, the demand for the character is all that counts.