• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

ya ever have those moments where you feel satisfied after years of knowing it was bound to happen and you stay the course?

That is how I feel about Walking Dead. Damn Great Feeling.

ya ever have those moments where you feel satisfied after years of knowing it was bound to happen and you stay the course?

Only because you were smart enough to know both when to get in AND out.

:applause:

Assuming the goal is to make money, Anyone left holding these a year from now is going to be kicking themselves.

no, i'll be quite happy next year looking at my full run.

I fixed it. :)

lol. perfect

True, but I assumed the people hanging out in the eBay thread were trying to get paid.

(thumbs u

So You guys are saying I should sell my 9.8 #50 WD Variant signed by kirkman now??

Edited by con

my girlfriend is giving me tons of credit. she thought i was a little crazy to buy 4-5 copies of damn near every issue from 10-up over the years, most for cover or less....but now i'm making more money on these books than i do at work. just picked up a local stores' wd back stock for $30....i'll sell them for $50-60 easily

I haven't sold a lot believe it or not, still sorting through long boxes and finding a random issue here or there. I think I finally have the issues I want to sell currently ready and will probably move them this weekend.

It has been fun and realistically for what I have in them, the bottom could fall out and go back to prices a year ago and I still will not be concerned (if that makes sense)...

Only because you were smart enough to know both when to get in AND out.

:applause:

:whistle:

I just put in a request with one of my LCS to preorder 20 copies of each Walking Dead issue from #97 to #102 just because. We will see if these issues will have any value above cover or not.

Multiply what you did by across the country and across the number of like minded people and I think you'll have your answer before those books ever hit the stands.

That was my immediate thought, but then I look back at historical hot runs/books like DD 181 and X-Men 137, where orders jumped on hot issues and beyond, and STILL the books rose to above cover and stayed there.

I'm curious to see where we go, and am trying to decide whether to actually put a dog in the fight.

This is one area where my cheapness has hurt me. I'm a dollar box diver and I rarely ever saw any WD books in the cheap-o boxes. I was looking, but they generally weren't there. Putting aside picking up back issues for cover price, had I let myself look in the $2 or half/cover boxes I probably could have picked up some bulk and doing nicely now. I've done nicely, no doubt, but I'm talking about "pay off my car loan" nicely. Oh well, sometimes you have to take chances.

I have # 61 up right now. When I bought it off the rack I said "you should buy more, this one looks important" (the Chew preview meant nothing to me), but then I backed off and just bought 1. Uhg. You have to stand by your convictions.

So, today I said WTF and hit the 4 shops closest to me. One was all over jacking up WD prices, the other 3 couldn't care less. Scored about 12 more copies in total. Left a huge stack of 95s though, I think that one is one month too late for the hysteria.

The irony is you didn't have to come in at #1 to make a killing here. #61 is a frigging $65-$85 book!!!

This is one area where my cheapness has hurt me. I'm a dollar box diver and I rarely ever saw any WD books in the cheap-o boxes. I was looking, but they generally weren't there. Putting aside picking up back issues for cover price, had I let myself look in the $2 or half/cover boxes I probably could have picked up some bulk and doing nicely now. I've done nicely, no doubt, but I'm talking about "pay off my car loan" nicely. Oh well, sometimes you have to take chances.

I have # 61 up right now. When I bought it off the rack I said "you should buy more, this one looks important" (the Chew preview meant nothing to me), but then I backed off and just bought 1. Uhg. You have to stand by your convictions.

So, today I said WTF and hit the 4 shops closest to me. One was all over jacking up WD prices, the other 3 couldn't care less. Scored about 12 more copies in total. Left a huge stack of 95s though, I think that one is one month too late for the hysteria.

The irony is you didn't have to come in at #1 to make a killing here. #61 is a frigging $65-$85 book!!!

27, 48, 53, 61....all $50-$125 books.....lots of $15 books too

The Weeklies are awesome. I just bought a near complete set from a store yesterday for about $100, and the store owner was super happy to sell them to me. He thought he'd die with those things. I've filled in the gaps and I'm sure I can clear $300 for the set, pretty easy.

Exhibit A as to why LCSs are struggling. How can you run a business and not know the market value of your product? :screwy:

Especially a derivative of the hottest product available...

This is just poor, poor management.

+1

You see this across the nation. Shops dont stay up on books that are selling well. Its why many never utilize the internest effectively.

i make small money ALL THE TIME because of this. once a book becomes hot, i can always find a local store that has it for cover price or close to. $3, sell for $6-12 plus shipping. sure, not major money, but it adds up.

I have alot of comic stores near me, so I'm usually making bigger money on stuff they don't keep up on.

This past Wednesday is a perfect example. I had off from work and literally took the day to hit almost half of the stores in my area (12). I managed to clean out most of the WD back issues, and picked up 2 statues. I already made $300 on one statue and $200 on another, and the WDs will be a massive profit as well. I love it when LCS owners don't keep up on prices of their merchandise.

After I cleaned out most stores, I went back to a few on Thursday, and it seemed that the owners finally realized that they needed to raise the prices on the remaining WDs. By then, most of the pricey ones (like 53) were already gone.

Some stores keep up with the prices of most of their stuff, but even the best let alot of stuff slip through the cracks.

What is the average age of a dude running a comic shop? Maybe they are not internet savvy?

Waiting for that new Overstreet is a beaotch.

I think most store owners are in the late 30s to early 50s, but most are very familiar with eBay. I always hear them talking about their listings to their employees. This obviously, confuses me, because if they are constantly listing stuff on eBay, how could they not notice that they are sitting on such gold mines?

When did some of these individual WD issues start "popping"? I'll assume 19 and 27 have been more expensive for a while? (It helps that both have cool covers too.)

Are there some that were overordered? I see a lot of 83s for some reason, I even passed on a few in my WD hunt because I have 4 or 5 listed already. Probably shouldn't have, but I'm afraid of getting burned (the way I worry you'd think I got killed in the early 90s on Valiants and Image books and a palette of X-Force 1s...I didn't...I did buy 2 copies of X-Men 2099 though, which I regret...).

It's called luck, enjoy it. :baiting:

As for comic shop owners, yes, one has to wonder why the part-time junior internet dealer knows more about what is hot than they do, but the thing is, things move so quickly nowadays. a few months ago the LODK "prey" books were moving well and now, while they sell, aren't selling for much. how long did that last? it can hurt one's brain trying to keep up.

some of this stuff is over and done so quickly, especially the moderns. it's one aspect of the 2000s version of this hobby I hate. at least 20 years ago stuff could last 3-12 months.

though WD is sort of a no brainer (but hey, it's not like there's a ton of demand for the True Blood back issues and that show is probably more popular than WD). I could see a shop not knowing about Chew, let's say. I can totally see one of my big main shops tossing Chew 1 in the dollar box (or at least Chew 2). they only order about 2 copies a month for the rack, so it's not like anyone is buying it from them. afterall, i have fished 2 copies of NYX 3 out of their dollar box over the years. they do get some speculators in there, so stuff usually doesn't stay on the rack long if there's a market.

Speaking of a title that has cooled off, I was happy to see that Skullkickers is still being published. I noticed 1 copy of the latest at 3 of the shops I hit today and was tempted to buy it at each of them. I liked the cover and actually kind of thought the first couple of issues weren't bad, but stopped buying when I figured the series was dead. Honestly, maybe I'm nuts, but I'd buy those out of dollar boxes if I saw them, if they could ever revive interest in the title some of the issues from the last 6 - 9 months will be a brute to find. I thought it was cancelled last year as my main shop stopped carrying it.