• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

Honestly, I don't see why 95-100 would be getting price spikes because many shops are ordering plenty of extra copies, folks have jumped on the bandwagon, etc. one of my local shops had at least 15 copies of 95 sitting on the rack as of last friday as well as some others in the 90s. I was tempted to buy them, but I know that's the moment it would all come crashing down when i'm trying to unload 15 copies of one issue. the frantic purchases i see on ebay are folks who missed out on these issues when they came out, now that they're into it they can just go to their shop and buy them at cover, why would these go up a lot? or are shops so scared of getting stuck with overstock they won't order extras? certainly doesn't seem to change ordering behaviors for marvel #1s that get overordered though.

There isnt a copy to be had locally in my area in 3 shops from issues 80-94 and they had a ton at two shops. They still come in looking and leave empty handed. Two shops I talked two sell at least two complete sets of TWD trades a week currently. That right there is amazing to me. Guy in front of me today bought 3 TWD trades to try to get caught up.

I said this before and I will say it again this phenomen transcends anything I have seen in comics ever in over 30+ years of reading comics.. Its going way past Valiant. Its more consistent then deaths of characters. Its the perfect storm. I dare anyone to argue otherwise. If you have high grades and want to sell the only reason you would want to wait now is for the Governor and Michonne to get more screen time. Other then that start now. Hell how much money do you need to make on a book afterall? Greed can sometimes be a nasty bed fellow.

I totally concur. It's sad when tools are buying all the back issues that are preventing new readers from experiencing the comic. This has locally caused an over-demand on the TPB which are now all gone. People have a short attention span and will likely not re-try. But who knows with this craziness.

I'm not sure I agree here - if you're new to the Walking Dead comic books, why would you pick up issue #95 and start reading from there? It's much more likely that you'd pick up the first trade paperback and give that a whirl ...

What happened for me was that I picked up the first two hardback trades. Loved them. Went back to the store and picked up every other trade. Read them. Went back and was like where are the next issues. Learned that they were sold out and then went and spent more than I'd care to admit to get completely caught up. I think this happens to a lot of people who get back into comics because of the Walking Dead.

And it's good to see so many "readers' buying these Walking Dead books instead of speculators. Every one we sell...comic or graphic novel..get's a conversation started as that personis checking out. There are so many new people coming into my shop because of the show. It's been a good year with the DC 52's selling like mad,and now The Walking Dead...it's fun selling comics again!

I just got back from my LCS. I was suprised by how many WD books he had. I found two copies of #53. He has issues#8-18 on the wall for $25 each and pretty much every book from 20-81 in the box. Nothing from "No where out" on.

Is this the walking dead thread?

Funny that this spike is happening when the comic is at an all time low. I quit reading it in trade because it was boring and only watched part of the first season of the show for the same reason.

If I had any of them I would have already sold them. Anyone left holding these a year from now is going to be kicking themselves.

All of these comics are reprinted 1000x over...trades, hardcovers, weeklies...anyone who just wants to read can do so without paying out the nose. This is being fueled by speculation not casual or new fans.

Sooo, what you're saying is that you haven't read the comics or watched the show in over a year. But you know that everything WD related is currently boring. hm

The show was only mediocre. I saw a recent episode by chance and it was even worse than the first season. The production values seemed much worse than I remembered.

The first 40 something issues of the comic were a decent read. It got really old after that and I kept going into the 80s hoping it would get better but it did not. It just got more tired. Maybe after a few more trades come out I'll check it out at the library and give it another chance, but probably not.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that isn't jizzing in their jeans over the book.

I do wish I had some to sell to some of the crazy mo fos buying them on eBay though.

:banana:

Funny that this spike is happening when the comic is at an all time low. I quit reading it in trade because it was boring and only watched part of the first season of the show for the same reason.

If I had any of them I would have already sold them. Anyone left holding these a year from now is going to be kicking themselves.

All of these comics are reprinted 1000x over...trades, hardcovers, weeklies...anyone who just wants to read can do so without paying out the nose. This is being fueled by speculation not casual or new fans.

Sooo, what you're saying is that you haven't read the comics or watched the show in over a year. But you know that everything WD related is currently boring. hm

The show was only mediocre. I saw a recent episode by chance and it was even worse than the first season. The production values seemed much worse than I remembered.

The first 40 something issues of the comic were a decent read. It got really old after that and I kept going into the 80s hoping it would get better but it did not. It just got more tired. Maybe after a few more trades come out I'll check it out at the library and give it another chance, but probably not.

I do wish I had some to sell to some of the crazy mo fos buying them on eBay though.

Of course there are others. Literally every piece of literature known to man has some people who don't care for it. There are always people who have a minority opinion.

"anyone who just wants to read can do so without paying out the nose."

Nobody pays through the nose for a comic because they want to read it.

Honestly, I don't see why 95-100 would be getting price spikes because many shops are ordering plenty of extra copies, folks have jumped on the bandwagon, etc. one of my local shops had at least 15 copies of 95 sitting on the rack as of last friday as well as some others in the 90s. I was tempted to buy them, but I know that's the moment it would all come crashing down when i'm trying to unload 15 copies of one issue. the frantic purchases i see on ebay are folks who missed out on these issues when they came out, now that they're into it they can just go to their shop and buy them at cover, why would these go up a lot? or are shops so scared of getting stuck with overstock they won't order extras? certainly doesn't seem to change ordering behaviors for marvel #1s that get overordered though.

There isnt a copy to be had locally in my area in 3 shops from issues 80-94 and they had a ton at two shops. They still come in looking and leave empty handed. Two shops I talked two sell at least two complete sets of TWD trades a week currently. That right there is amazing to me. Guy in front of me today bought 3 TWD trades to try to get caught up.

I said this before and I will say it again this phenomen transcends anything I have seen in comics ever in over 30+ years of reading comics.. Its going way past Valiant. Its more consistent then deaths of characters. Its the perfect storm. I dare anyone to argue otherwise. If you have high grades and want to sell the only reason you would want to wait now is for the Governor and Michonne to get more screen time. Other then that start now. Hell how much money do you need to make on a book afterall? Greed can sometimes be a nasty bed fellow.

I totally concur. It's sad when tools are buying all the back issues that are preventing new readers from experiencing the comic. This has locally caused an over-demand on the TPB which are now all gone. People have a short attention span and will likely not re-try. But who knows with this craziness.

I'm not sure I agree here - if you're new to the Walking Dead comic books, why would you pick up issue #95 and start reading from there? It's much more likely that you'd pick up the first trade paperback and give that a whirl ...

I was referring to the burst on the back issue market versus recent issues like 95. Our LCS had a long box of back issues. I purposely didn't buy any so others could pick some up (a couple could have got me some good dough). It was from the 30s to current. So I go to Costa Rica, come back, and find out one person literally bought every single Walking Dead they had.

Back to your comment, we have another LCS and I've seen people come in and buy one of each available issue in an effort to collect the series. The TPB was added as a supplement for the missing gaps with the intent of filling comic holes as they were located (which is obviously going to be VERY hard). But with my 1st situation, that literally took this possibility out of the loop for everyone.

I don't want to give the impression that buying some issues for a quick buck is wrong. But I do believe there is a point where people are going way overboard, and in some cases, stunting the hobby. Like buying 5 copies of 95 because of the recent success but preventing a long-term or new reader from getting it.

Pat

Long term readers should have a pull list IMO. I waited 8 days from the release and then cleaned out all local shops of remaining copies of 95. Some first appearances and some major story progression. I've been buying multiple copies for years though. Only title I do.

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with buying a long box full of back issues. New readers don't need to come into the LCS and buy up back issue floppys. That's what trades are for. New readers also shouldn't need issues 90-95 yet. Start them on the first trade...

I don't want to give the impression that buying some issues for a quick buck is wrong. But I do believe there is a point where people are going way overboard, and in some cases, stunting the hobby. Like buying 5 copies of 95 because of the recent success but preventing a long-term or new reader from getting it.

Herder: I'm a sheep herder.

Dr. Chinstrap: It's pronounced "hoarder," and yes you are.

Herder: I'm actually herding sheep.

Dr. Chinstrap: Yes, you are hurting sheep by hoarding them. It's good you realize that.

Herder.jpg

I would never jizz over any of my books thats nasty!!! :o

1 I always wash my hands when I touch any of my books and 2 jizzing in ones pants is well to put in clean words just uncomfortable

What's the point deduction for jizz stains on books??? :shy:

1 I always wash my hands when I touch any of my books and 2 jizzing in ones pants is well to put in clean words just uncomfortable

depends on whether or not a CGC representative witnessed the jizzing.

Looks like Branget's SAGA 9.8s are doing well on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAGA-1-CGC-9-8-NM-M-Brian-K-Vaughan-Fiona-Staples-SOLD-OUT-/160778770344?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item256f2957a8#ht_1207wt_1139

Only one left for anybody looking for a copy.

Got a few offers as well. It's a title I will be supporting going forward.

depends on whether or not a CGC representative witnessed the jizzing.

:signfunny:

yup. i unloaded 3 sets of walking dead weeklies for more than double what i spent, and 6 wd #19's, plus various other wd books that i had multiples of. i can't see wd #19 going too much higher than $250-$275 for a raw book, and if it does, i paid cover price for all of mine, so i'm happy still. i still haven't sold my double of #27. i'm gonna take a chance and wait until he shows up on the show.

yup. i unloaded 3 sets of walking dead weeklies for more than double what i spent, and 6 wd #19's, plus various other wd books that i had multiples of. i can't see wd #19 going too much higher than $250-$275 for a raw book, and if it does, i paid cover price for all of mine, so i'm happy still. i still haven't sold my double of #27. i'm gonna take a chance and wait until he shows up on the show.

The Weeklies are awesome. I just bought a near complete set from a store yesterday for about $100, and the store owner was super happy to sell them to me. He thought he'd die with those things. I've filled in the gaps and I'm sure I can clear $300 for the set, pretty easy.

On the bad side, most of my comic stores in this area have caught on about the WD back issues, and literally raised the books from cover price to $10-15 each. The good thing is that I got everything I needed before the price raise.

The Weeklies are awesome. I just bought a near complete set from a store yesterday for about $100, and the store owner was super happy to sell them to me. He thought he'd die with those things. I've filled in the gaps and I'm sure I can clear $300 for the set, pretty easy.

Exhibit A as to why LCSs are struggling. How can you run a business and not know the market value of your product? :screwy:

Especially a derivative of the hottest product available...

This is just poor, poor management.