• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

in other words, 1st appearances/deaths are nice, but they are irrelevant to back issue pricing without the supply/demand ratio in play. it is clearly apparent that there are now a heck of a lot more than 20,000 or whatever (whatever the typical WD print-run has been) folks now interested in these comics, which is why these lower printed copies are selling great, even generic "non-key" issues. i'm very curious to see what the circulation #s for 95 and 96 are, I dunno, maybe it's just impossible for an Image book in this day and age to have a big print-run?

Edited by the blob

My sons best friend sold a "my little brother got a hold of this copy of Walking Dead #1" that looked like a 2.0 for $100 to a fellow student at their comic book club meeting this week. He said he wanted to get them all and he probably would not be able to buy a better copy. There are new collectors out there and the Walking Dead is the spark.

There are new collectors out there and the Walking Dead is the spark.

I couldn't agree more. Every time I walk in my LCS there is someone new in there who tells me they are returning to comics because of the WD and asks me what else is good and what else is Image publishing. I think a lot of the heat on the other Image titles is as a result of the WD.

in other words, 1st appearances/deaths are nice, but they are irrelevant to back issue pricing without the supply/demand ratio in play. it is clearly apparent that there are now a heck of a lot more than 20,000 or whatever (whatever the typical WD print-run has been) folks now interested in these comics, which is why these lower printed copies are selling great, even generic "non-key" issues. i'm very curious to see what the circulation #s for 95 and 96 are, I dunno, maybe it's just impossible for an Image book in this day and age to have a big print-run?

Your not thinking about this from Image's point of view. They are in a tough spot. They will increase the print run on the next several issues you can bet on that, but they wont go from 20K to 70K overnight it just wont happen even if sales indicate that they are selling out every issue. Will it get there? Probably, but by that point the show will have played out and interest will have dwindled and there you have the X-men or ASM or some of those other titles from Marvel DC.

A slow steady increase is the way to go. It causes demand on back issue market which they dont care about, but its a nice by product. It stimulates 2nd prints which as well which is probably how they will go instead of a massing increase in production.

Honestly, I don't see why 95-100 would be getting price spikes because many shops are ordering plenty of extra copies, folks have jumped on the bandwagon, etc. one of my local shops had at least 15 copies of 95 sitting on the rack as of last friday as well as some others in the 90s. I was tempted to buy them, but I know that's the moment it would all come crashing down when i'm trying to unload 15 copies of one issue. the frantic purchases i see on ebay are folks who missed out on these issues when they came out, now that they're into it they can just go to their shop and buy them at cover, why would these go up a lot? or are shops so scared of getting stuck with overstock they won't order extras? certainly doesn't seem to change ordering behaviors for marvel #1s that get overordered though.

There isnt a copy to be had locally in my area in 3 shops from issues 80-94 and they had a ton at two shops. They still come in looking and leave empty handed. Two shops I talked two sell at least two complete sets of TWD trades a week currently. That right there is amazing to me. Guy in front of me today bought 3 TWD trades to try to get caught up.

I said this before and I will say it again this phenomen transcends anything I have seen in comics ever in over 30+ years of reading comics.. Its going way past Valiant. Its more consistent then deaths of characters. Its the perfect storm. I dare anyone to argue otherwise. If you have high grades and want to sell the only reason you would want to wait now is for the Governor and Michonne to get more screen time. Other then that start now. Hell how much money do you need to make on a book afterall? Greed can sometimes be a nasty bed fellow.

As a collector i am quite pleased to have a full run of the Walking Dead...just waiting on the WD #94 variants and i am caught up. As a savvy comic book geek i will unload the multiples i've picked up here and there over the last 8 years and hopefully fuel the purchase of a grail. I am sure there are others who will never let their copies leave their collections.

I said this before and I will say it again this phenomenon transcends anything I have seen in comics ever in over 30+ years of reading comics..

Yep. It's got 80's GIJoe beat. It's got Valiant beat. It's got 1989 Batman movie fever beat.

I said this before and I will say it again this phenomenon transcends anything I have seen in comics ever in over 30+ years of reading comics..

Yep. It's got 80's GIJoe beat. It's got Valiant beat. It's got 1989 Batman movie fever beat.

goddamit, I was gonna quote that piece and add +1 but I wasn't logged in!

There are a bunch of random issues in LCS around my city. There was a con last weekend and almost every single vendor had issues 1->current. They must have priced them really high because I didn't see anything sell.

Honestly, I don't see why 95-100 would be getting price spikes because many shops are ordering plenty of extra copies, folks have jumped on the bandwagon, etc. one of my local shops had at least 15 copies of 95 sitting on the rack as of last friday as well as some others in the 90s. I was tempted to buy them, but I know that's the moment it would all come crashing down when i'm trying to unload 15 copies of one issue. the frantic purchases i see on ebay are folks who missed out on these issues when they came out, now that they're into it they can just go to their shop and buy them at cover, why would these go up a lot? or are shops so scared of getting stuck with overstock they won't order extras? certainly doesn't seem to change ordering behaviors for marvel #1s that get overordered though.

There isnt a copy to be had locally in my area in 3 shops from issues 80-94 and they had a ton at two shops. They still come in looking and leave empty handed. Two shops I talked two sell at least two complete sets of TWD trades a week currently. That right there is amazing to me. Guy in front of me today bought 3 TWD trades to try to get caught up.

I said this before and I will say it again this phenomen transcends anything I have seen in comics ever in over 30+ years of reading comics.. Its going way past Valiant. Its more consistent then deaths of characters. Its the perfect storm. I dare anyone to argue otherwise. If you have high grades and want to sell the only reason you would want to wait now is for the Governor and Michonne to get more screen time. Other then that start now. Hell how much money do you need to make on a book afterall? Greed can sometimes be a nasty bed fellow.

I totally concur. It's sad when tools are buying all the back issues that are preventing new readers from experiencing the comic. This has locally caused an over-demand on the TPB which are now all gone. People have a short attention span and will likely not re-try. But who knows with this craziness.

Pat

goddamit, I was gonna quote that piece and add +1 but I wasn't logged in!

We agree on that AND Peter Crouch. :grin:

I am more thinking about issue #95..which came out around the series finale and right around when things started getting craziest. One would think they ramped up the orders on #95 (my main shop certainly had more than usual). I think the shops are going to order a ton more copies and things will balance out. As of right now, #95 is only selling for a couple of bucks over cover, which after fees, etc., makes it almost not worth the bother of selling. True, people might start hoarding 96 - 100 when they come out, buying 10 copies, but the price inflation is going to be artificial and bust when they try to sell them the next day on the interweb.

Before things started getting extra crazy is anyone's guess though.

I think this seems a bit more hysterical than Valiant because there were 50 other uber "hot" things going on at the same time as Valiant and everyone was speculating on everything. $75-$100 for comics with 50K print-runs was a lot of money 20 years ago. Right now it's WD, Chew #1 and some other books going 2-3X cover and everything else going in the discount box. Not so much in 1992 where everything was viewed as an "investment."

So, with that said, if the shop I hit tomorrow still has multiples of 95 in nice shape, do you think I should pick them up? I'm going to guess that the earlier stuff will be gone by now. I feel like a total insufficiently_thoughtful_person as about a month ago they also had tons of WDW #2 on up and I passed as I figured only #1 would be worth anything....

The same place also has a TON of leftover Saga 1s and had Fatale #1s for a while too when I didn't know what the hell they were as well as tons of Thief of Thieves 1s a week or two after it came out. It is really not a speculators type shop.

So, with that said, if the shop I hit tomorrow still has multiples of 95 in nice shape, do you think I should pick them up? I'm going to guess that the earlier stuff will be gone by now. I feel like a total insufficiently_thoughtful_person as about a month ago they also had tons of WDW #2 on up and I passed as I figured only #1 would be worth anything....

The same place also has a TON of leftover Saga 1s and had Fatale #1s for a while too when I didn't know what the hell they were as well as tons of Thief of Thieves 1s a week or two after it came out. It is really not a speculators type shop.

Is this the walking dead thread?

Funny that this spike is happening when the comic is at an all time low. I quit reading it in trade because it was boring and only watched part of the first season of the show for the same reason.

If I had any of them I would have already sold them. Anyone left holding these a year from now is going to be kicking themselves.

All of these comics are reprinted 1000x over...trades, hardcovers, weeklies...anyone who just wants to read can do so without paying out the nose. This is being fueled by speculation not casual or new fans.

The pattern of Walking Dead back issues before the run up was that recent back issues would command a premium until the trades caught up. Issues 91 and 92 were going for over cover before the season ended and they are still selling quite well. The most recent TPB goes up through issue 90. The next TPB #16 will collect issues 91-96 and is due out on June 19th according to Amazon. I would imagine that issues 91-96 would sell for a premium untill the trade is released. After that, with the hype building for the new story arc, unless they contain significant events, I imagine that they will get lost in the hype.

Is this the walking dead thread?

Funny that this spike is happening when the comic is at an all time low. I quit reading it in trade because it was boring and only watched part of the first season of the show for the same reason.

If I had any of them I would have already sold them. Anyone left holding these a year from now is going to be kicking themselves.

All of these comics are reprinted 1000x over...trades, hardcovers, weeklies...anyone who just wants to read can do so without paying out the nose. This is being fueled by speculation not casual or new fans.

Sooo, what you're saying is that you haven't read the comics or watched the show in over a year. But you know that everything WD related is currently boring. hm