• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic people on Frank Miller's rant

606 posts in this topic

Wake up, pond scum. America is at war against a ruthless enemy.

In the name of decency, go home to your parents, you losers. Go back to your mommas’ basements and play with your Lords Of Warcraft.

Or better yet, enlist for the real thing. Maybe our military could whip some of you into shape.

They might not let you babies keep your iPhones, though. Try to soldier on.

Schmucks.

For someone who can pen some really good, entertaining stuff, he's really, really bad at articulating maturely. I can appreciate OWS, but I also see the flaws in the movement. So does FM, except he's wielding his opinions like a palsy victim trying to perform brain surgery. WINK.

This is the same problem with much of Hollywood. I could care less what Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Angelina Jolie or anyone else thinks about politics/current events. Normal average everyday people have nothing in common with them, and I have no idea why they feel that anyone cares what they think. As if being famous and wealthy makes you knowledgeable. The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

I have one question. If someone is famous does that mean they are not allowed to speak their mind? Isn't freedom of speech the right to voice your opinion regardless of who you are?

Yes people's fascination with them is bizarre but people have the right to speak their mind regardless of fame.

It's up to the individual to choose for themselves what to acknowledge

Never said otherwise. My point (quote actually) is why does anyone care what they think.

Obviously there's some personal trauma being expressed.

Agreed. But it's incredibly immature to air out those traumas in public. If the guy needs help, get help. If he's seen horrific things, seek counseling - he has options. Sure, some people don't get a hint as fast as others, or get the help they need - but ranting about it online is not just crazy, it's plain stupid.

And you know what? I would totally applaud FM if this episode is what got him to seek help. I'd absolutely understand. He has a chance to take this negative feedback to address his problems and find a solution. I hope he looks at it that way.

There's no honor in or prize awarded for carrying a burden that cannot be changed and that no one else knows about.

OWS will likely fade as the economy lurches forward. It is a harbinger, though, of what could happen if we continue as a nation on a pathway that disenfranchises greater numbers of people. We've had policies in place for thirty years that have transferred "wealth" from the have-nots to the haves. Policies like a flat tax will continue or even accelerate this trend.

This movement is made up of bums and malcontents. It's also made up of people who are genuinely desperate and looking for any way available to make themselves heard. There is no fair generalization for a group like this.

If we continue on a path of concentrating wealth in the hands of a tiny minority, we will not be able to sustain what most of us enjoy as our current status quo. What happens next time, when the numbers of these groups increase tenfold, a hundredfold? Then we really test our constitution, our rights, our democracy. Or we become China.

ibtl

This is the same problem with much of Hollywood. I could care less what Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Angelina Jolie or anyone else thinks about politics/current events. Normal average everyday people have nothing in common with them, and I have no idea why they feel that anyone cares what they think. As if being famous and wealthy makes you knowledgeable. The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

I have one question. If someone is famous does that mean they are not allowed to speak their mind? Isn't freedom of speech the right to voice your opinion regardless of who you are?

Yes people's fascination with them is bizarre but people have the right to speak their mind regardless of fame.

Never said otherwise. My point (quote actually) is why does anyone care what they think.

Because they do.

Fascination with Hollywood/celebrity has never changed. The fascination has always been there. There just now seems to be non stop coverage of them because society, in general, wants to know everything about them.

At some point most people grow tired of this fascination (age) but there are more people (teenagers) to take their place everyday. Disliking celebrity and the famous for no reason is all well and good but stating that it is "one of the biggest problems with this country: is a bit of hyperbole. :foryou:

Because they do.

Fascination with Hollywood/celebrity has never changed. The fascination has always been there. There just now seems to be non stop coverage of them because society, in general, wants to know everything about them.

At some point most people grow tired of this fascination (age) but there are more people (teenagers) to take their place everyday. Disliking celebrity and the famous for no reason is all well and good but stating that it is "one of the biggest problems with this country: is a bit of hyperbole. :foryou:

Part of the problem is the neverending news cycle, the abundance of chanels or outlets that spew out garbage in order to make revenue on advertising and the like. We are a hypersensualized society.... sucking up media in evergrowing and abundant quantities..... Dont just blame hollywood.... blame everybody and are evergrowing blackhole souls that need to be filled with everything imaginable. Remember the old lady in the labyrinth that collected stuff? Thats us.... generalized speaking of course....

235923_1245250999389_322_427.jpg

Because they do.

Part of the problem is the neverending news cycle, the abundance of chanels or outlets that spew out garbage in order to make revenue on advertising and the like. We are a hypersensualized society.... sucking up media in evergrowing and abundant quantities..... Dont just blame hollywood.... blame everybody and are evergrowing blackhole souls that need to be filled with everything imaginable. Remember the old lady in the labyrinth that collected stuff? Thats us.... generalized speaking of course....

235923_1245250999389_322_427.jpg

Absolutely. I was 21 when the first Real World came out. I loved that show and it was great. Of course the show changed over the last 20 years and I would rather have my toenails pulled out than watch it now but MY tastes/sensibilities etc. have changed over the years as well.

What is the difference between The Real World in 92 and all the celebrity/famous for nothing shows that are on today? Not that much really. There happen to be twenty of them on at one time but they are still the same thing in general. I just think they are incredibly boring as opposed to my 21 year old self that probably would have thought they were cool.

Because they do.

I don't think it's hyperbole at all. You have both illustrated the problems, and one can see where society is going with it. Constant inundation with other people's lives give solace when they lack a sense of achievement in their own. And it's happening faster than like situations in the past.

Because they do.

I am sorry, but I disagree with this post.

The reason why anyone should care is because they do?

And I don't dislike celebrity. I just don't worship it. And I don't have respect for it, in and of itself. And to say it is for no reason, well that is a completely different story.

The fact is, I have nothing in common with a bunch of celebities who are millionaires, make sex tapes, spend years alternating between partying and rehab, get divorced every 90 days, cheating on their spouses in between. I have no respect for any of this. Nor do I wish for any of it.

Because they do.

I don't think it's hyperbole at all. You have both illustrated the problems, and one can see where society is going with it. Constant inundation with other people's lives give solace when they lack a sense of achievement in their own. And it's happening faster than like situations in the past.

The problems lie with the individual and not with society imo. Not to say there aren't exceptions(mental problems, etc.) but in general. If being inundated with other people's lives has an impact on my life, than that is a "me" problem.

Because they do.

The problems lie with the individual and not with society imo. Not to say there aren't exceptions(mental problems, etc.) but in general. If being inundated with other people's lives has an impact on my life, than that is a "me" problem.

Well sure, most of all societies problems have to be dealt with on a personal level. Morality, lack of work ethic, living beyond ones means, etc are all societal problems which have to be dealt with on a personal level. But you have to address it on a public level to being private change.

Because they do.

There is a lot that is causing the collapse of the West. But there is nothing new under the sun. Do a study on ancient Rome and how it collapsed. There are great amount of parallels with our culture today. We are just living out what we believe. If there are no absolute truths and we evolved from slime, does anything really matter? I don't hold this view and I don't think most people who do consistently live it out (you can't get around the absolute standards of the universe). That is why I respect Nietzsche as a philosopher because he lived out what he believed; all is meaningless and there are no consequences for our actions. He went crazy because of it, but he was consistent in his thinking. And so, the problem is deep and complex but the core issues are not hard to identify. Every human heart wants to be on the throne and when we believe we can do and there is no one to hold us accountable, we do it. It's an age old song.

Because they do.

I am sorry, but I disagree with this post.

The reason why anyone should care is because they do?

And I don't dislike celebrity. I just don't worship it. And I don't have respect for it, in and of itself. And to say it is for no reason, well that is a completely different story.

The fact is, I have nothing in common with a bunch of celebities who are millionaires, make sex tapes, spend years alternating between partying and rehab, get divorced every 90 days, cheating on their spouses in between. I have no respect for any of this. Nor do I wish for any of it.

I should clarify one thing. I didn't mean that you disliked celebrities for no reason. A really bad sentence. I should have wrote "disliking celebrities and people who are famous for nothing." That might make more sense. My error.

People care about what celebrities think because they are fascinated with them because they have nothing in common with them. It is a fantasy world that many people want to live in. It's not necessarily wrong or right but it just is something that people are fascinated by and want to have.

Anybody who read Miller's lettercol in the Sin City books over fifteen years ago would know that he's an egotistical crank who sees the slightest criticism as an assault on his first amendment rights. The guy is free to write what he wants, and others are free to disparage and mock him for it.

Personally, I don't worry too much about the politics or other beliefs of an artist I like unless it appears to have an adverse effect on their work ( which may be the case with Unholy Terror from what I've heard - haven't read it myself). I'm not even concerned about the media attention given to the political opinions of celebrities - especially not in an era when the professional pundit class often appears as uninformed as the average reality show contestant.

Being an artistic genius doesn't preclude one from being a jerk - ignorant or otherwise, no more than being wise and caring makes you a great artist.

I lost interest in Frank Miller's work not because of his politics or attitude, but because I got bored with his output. While Sin City was initially graphically compelling and I have fondness for crime comics - the sub-Spillane writing got extremely repetitive and tedious. I was foolish enough to pick up DK2 when it came out, but between the sloppy art and sloppier writing, it was the final nail in the coffin.