• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feb Heritage Auction

612 posts in this topic

I don't agree with some of the rules cgc makes up as it goes along, but at least they are generally consistent:

All Star 3 MH with largish dust shadow 9.6

They didn't make them up as they went along, the lenient stance on dust shadows and foxing has been around long before CGC. It's just a total coincidence that prominent pedigrees featured books with those defects, and that the right people benefited from not having said books dinged by harsh grading either pre or post CGC.

Why is a stain caused by foxing negligible and a stain caused by water worthy of being hammered? Why is a sun shadow the kiss of death and a dust shadow not worthy of notice? It makes zero sense and it always bugs me.

I don't agree with some of the rules cgc makes up as it goes along, but at least they are generally consistent:

They didn't make them up as they went along, the lenient stance on dust shadows and foxing has been around long before CGC.

ehhhhh dealers were lenient on everything before cgc ;) I hear what you're saying and I agree. I hate the different treatment for different defects

They didn't make them up as they went along, the lenient stance on dust shadows and foxing has been around long before CGC. It's just a total coincidence that prominent pedigrees featured books with those defects, and that the right people benefited from not having said books dinged by harsh grading either pre or post CGC.

Why is a stain caused by foxing negligible and a stain caused by water worthy of being hammered? Why is a sun shadow the kiss of death and a dust shadow not worthy of notice? It makes zero sense and it always bugs me.

From the beginning, dealers have always tended to consider defects less important if they have discovered and/or amassed large collections that consistently have that defect. Depending on the influence of dealers, the dismissal of defects common in their books has influenced grading. Collectors who've been around a long time generally know enough to look for those anomalies when buying, but not always. Several times I put tracking bids on items that had a particular grade, thinking my bid was a fraction of its value, based on the label. Then, as the bids remained unsurpassed, I looked closer at the book and realized it was in a condition which I'd consider less valuable than my lowball tracking bid, even as the label said it was worth more. Of course, the reverse has also been true, and I've been able to buy things with apparently bad value labels that were in fact much better.

Got the catalogs today, very impressive lot. One fact that stood out was a letter they included, get this: HA. Sold over $26,000.000( 26 million dollars) worth of comics in 2011.....gotta be some kind of a record here for auction house.

From the beginning, dealers have always tended to consider defects less important if they have discovered and/or amassed large collections that consistently have that defect. Depending on the influence of dealers, the dismissal of defects common in their books has influenced grading. Collectors who've been around a long time generally know enough to look for those anomalies when buying, but not always. Several times I put tracking bids on items that had a particular grade, thinking my bid was a fraction of its value, based on the label. Then, as the bids remained unsurpassed, I looked closer at the book and realized it was in a condition which I'd consider less valuable than my lowball tracking bid, even as the label said it was worth more. Of course, the reverse has also been true, and I've been able to buy things with apparently bad value labels that were in fact much better.

I fell victim to this recently:

Bought the Crippen ("D" Copy) of Black Terror # 21 (CGC 6.5) a few months ago.

Turns out, it's the fugliest 6.5 ever, due to a nasty dust shadow on the right-hand edge. I wouldn't have graded it above a 5.0.

Got the catalogs today, very impressive lot. One fact that stood out was a letter they included, get this: HA. Sold over $26,000.000( 26 million dollars) worth of comics in 2011.....gotta be some kind of a record here for auction house.

I would think Ebay does way more than Heritage per year. Maybe someone else knows for certain?

on the second catalog ( billys collection) I liked how they create a the chart of the top one 100 books and put bill'ys collection in it. these guys are tops. 26 Mil....wow WE have come a long way....can anybody put it up on this thead...its great

on the second catalog ( billys collection) I liked how they create a the chart of the top one 100 books and put bill'ys collection in it. these guys are tops. 26 Mil....wow WE have come a long way....can anybody put it up on this thead...its great

i know some people with this last name. all share the first name "shi."

i know some people with this last name. all share the first name "shi."

lol

Mitch--I'm not sure what the highest price ever paid for a comic on Heritage was, but my guess is it's the Detective # 27, CGC 8.0, that sold in Feb. 2010 for $1.0755 million.

Interestingly, Metro/ComicConnect had at least 7 comic book sales that were higher than any from Heritage last year.

Note that the highest price paid for a comic on Heritage last year was $167,300 for the Archie # 1, CGC 8.5 (although there were two 2010 sales of Detective 27 that broke $400k and $600k, respectively).

Source: http://en.wikicollecting.org/top-10-comic-book-sales-of-2011

Thanks for the help, I see a change coming especially after may ha. Auction, it is gonna be there year along with everybody else. Upon going over the auction I came over three sleepers for this auction.

1-Little giant detective funnies# 1 rare does not begin to describe this book and very low so far on bidding prices. A sure winner from Billy collection.

2.Little giant movie funnies#1 again gerber 8 and rare and not much action on that one, a sleeper. Another Billy book.

Best for last

3- Zeppelin stories 3 the "action 1 " of pulps. Outrageous, very very rare, and in good condition for its age. A true classic.

2-

Hi Mitch,

I know the pulp market extremely well, and the "The Zepplin Stories" is not a sleeper at all. Maybe it is in the comic community, but in the pulp community there are 6 or 7 people that are hot after it. The is another decent copy in the Frank Robinson collection as well. These two issues are well targeted.

However, it is not the Action 1 of Pulps.

It is a very rare pulp and highly sought after, but primarily because of its rareness, neat cover, and it is from one of the "mini-runs that people go after because there are not alot of books they need to acquire to complete them (ie: Thrill Books, Strange Tales, Blue Steel, Wu Fang, Yen Sin , Lone Ranger.

The big three in pulps is the All Story (1st Tarzan), The Shadow #1, Weird Tales #1. The next Level down would be Doc Savage #1, etc., but not Zepplin Stories.

It is more on the lines of an ultra rare esoteric pulp (there are 30-50 or more pulps that would generate more money), but it certainly is very rare, and like you said, a classic one.

If you do not have it, you should go after it, because there are not alot of copies out there, especially in the grade that the ones in the Heritage Auction and the Robinson collection are in.

Dwight

thanks for the heads up dwight, the book value of $2500 bucks which I thought was a high price for any pulp. It seems super cool and it under 1k now in bidding,thanks buddy, do you know what the highest price ever paid for a pulp is and when?????

thanks for the heads up dwight, the book value of $2500 bucks which I thought was a high price for any pulp. It seems super cool and it under 1k now in bidding,thanks buddy, do you know what the highest price ever paid for a pulp is and when?????

Hi Mitch,

I think the highest price paid was for teh All Story 1912 (first Tarzan), when it went for about 40K or more. It probably would not go for that much now (30K ish).

The next highest price paid was about 6K for any pulp.

A person has to be careful with pulps, because there are alot less buyers and demand out there, and if you overpay, you might be stuck with it, but with the Zepplin Stories, you are OK.

Dwight

I'm not sure if this has been discussed...

but having looked through the paper catalog now, I have to say I'm actually very disappointed in how the billy wright books present. It seems like almost every book has some combination of foxing and/or dust shadows, and even what look to be rusty staples in some cases.

I wasn't planning on bidding anyways so my opinion won't matter but for me at least, a pretty good chunk of the wow factor on these books is gone.

:tonofbricks:

Hi Mitch,

I think the highest price paid was for teh All Story 1912 (first Tarzan), when it went for about 40K or more. It probably would not go for that much now (30K ish).

A person has to be careful with pulps, because there are alot less buyers and demand out there, and if you overpay, you might be stuck with it, but with the Zepplin Stories, you are OK.

Dwight

Sound advice, Dwight. BTW, speaking of pulps, it's about time that I share my latest acquisition with folks here.

Dwight, your pulp and art collection is truly awesome and classy! (worship)

What I've collected is but a Shadow of yours, though I can't complain! :grin:

photo-1-3.jpg

The Shadow knows... smiley-dance005.gif

photo-2-1-1-1.jpg

:whee::whee::whee::whee::whee:

Congrad on a masterpiece . I think there is a shadow painting coming up on the march 1 ha sale and would make a triple threat. Lots of action in your new piece which is gonna be hard to top you got Margo and the ring and the shadow amazing.

Hi Mitch,

Dwight

Sound advice, Dwight. BTW, speaking of pulps, it's about time that I share my latest acquisition with folks here.

photo-1-3.jpg

photo-2-1-1-1.jpg

+1 :cloud9:

BTW, speaking of pulps, it's about time that I share my latest acquisition with folks here.

photo-1-3.jpg

photo-2-1-1-1.jpg

Congratulations! :applause: