• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

Comics bagging and boarding started consistently in Italy in the late 1980s-early 1990s, thanks to the start of original editions collecting.

The pratice of bagging comics has always existed, but it was inconsistent, largely depending on the issues format (1930s and 1940s material is more than often journal or tabloid sizes and people tended/tend to bag entire year runs), pvc or bad materials bags were ofter used rather than polypropilene and mylar is still largely unused, since there is no local production.

I myself don’t like mylar (especially thick mylar) because it takes a lot of space.

For the same reason, for years I have constantly bagged books, but boarded only the silver age and some bronze age issues. Most moderns are bagged without board, except issues I liked particularly or felt were more delicate.

Hey guys.... I would like to thank boardie Vaillant for helping me out with this one! This is the Italian Tomb of Dracula #1! It is a really cool book, but what makes this one soooo freakin much cooler is the addition of the original stickers that came with this issue. These are hard to find still on the sticker back and from what I have been told even rarer still attached to the book by the staple. Maybe Vaillant and other Italians can give us a lesson on the included stickers that came with many of the Italian issues? hm Earlier in this thread it was talked about how CGC lacked a way to identify properly what foreign books had stickers and what did not? And even if they did there are for sure graded Italian books floating around out there without this sticker notation? Interesting for sure.........

Tomb_dracula_italian.jpg

Tomb_dracula_italianWstickers.jpg

Hi Chespirito, this Conan #1 is from Australia 1973 ! picked it up from e-bay few months ago :) Conan is one of my favorite Marvel hero's so I'm trying to put all his number 1's together :wishluck: still need to track down the Mexican copy I seen it on e-bay but the seller was asking way to much for it :( here's a nother one I for got to show its the Italian Conan #1 (thumbs u

IMG_1271.jpg

That's the stuff.. :cloud9:

I love my low grade copy..what's the deal with the Conan? Where is it from?

Australian reprint from the early 80's Linky .

As long as I'm responding, I'd like to ask everyone who is posting these great (and rarely seen) books, could you please give some idea when the reprints were done?

It helps me get a better idea as to whether other publishers waited until the books were a hit in the US and then they decided to take the plunge, or whether some of them took a "shot in the dark" punt early on when they saddled up to print the things.

Hi Chespirito, this Conan #1 is from Australia 1973 ! picked it up from e-bay few months ago :) Conan is one of my favorite Marvel hero's so I'm trying to put all his number 1's together :wishluck: still need to track down the Mexican copy I seen it on e-bay but the seller was asking way to much for it :( here's a nother one I for got to show its the Italian Conan #1 (thumbs u

IMG_1271.jpg

Amazing R.J.S. :hi:

I was responding when you posted - please check the link I posted. I can assure you locally printed comics were not $1.10 in Oz in 1973.

Did the eBay seller state that this was the case? If so, (tsk)

Since I'm here, I thought I could post some of my foreign comics for every body to enjoy :grin:

IMG_1327.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

:cloud9: Hopefully more to come !

Great haul dude! The 227's of course our my personal favorite of the bunch... the Sgt Fury could be a CGC candidate? hm And the Avengers La Prensa is very very very cool.... I think this might be the largest collection of foriegn WD1's I have seen so far.....

IMG_1271.jpg

Amazing R.J.S. :hi:

I was responding when you posted - please check the link I posted. I can assure you locally printed comics were not $1.10 in Oz in 1973.

Did the eBay seller state that this was the case? If so, (tsk)

Maybe a much later print date? hm This Aussie Conan I remember....

has to be earlier...

235251.jpg

Here is the link.....

http://www.ausreprints.com/content/main/?pages=23525

I cant see a price anywhere on the issue though... weird... (shrug) *edit* I am a dumb-! Its at the top! doh! 50c

Edited by Define999

Ok here's the pictures of the year for my Conan #1 Australian

DSC01005.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

DSC01009.jpg

Please let me know, if this helps out I can't find any other year on this book !

I think this might just the date Conan was copyrighted RJ? (shrug) This isnt new... I have noticed this on some foreigns where a pub date just isn't included on the indecia? The original copyright is though.... makes you have to go all detective and sheet! My Indian Spidey was like this too..... The only thing that clued me into it being newer was a email address on an ad? (shrug)

I wonder if the seller pulled some shady stuff.... hope not! Duff's link does state the book is newer form the 80's....

Edited by Define999

I love the first cover, I have a graded Mexican one, but my favorite is number 5....it's so catchy

IConan5Mexico.jpg

Nice... I swear you must have a vault of foriegns somewhere Ches! you have like everything? :gossip:

Thanks for the help Matt, this Conan comic magazine I only paid around $10.00 bucks for so I'm not to upset about it :facepalm: Still new to all this foreign comics and now I see my dates have to be up to track as well lol Thanks for the heads up buddy (thumbs u Here's a new one that just came in its the X-men #1 Greek variant ! its not in the greatest shape but hay for $5.00 bucks sure looks cool to me (:

IMG_1332.jpg