• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is going on at heritage?

186 posts in this topic

Wasn't there a case a few years ago about a couple of early Supermans selling for ridiculous amounts, and it turned out that they weren't real sales (I don't recall the actual details)?

Unless being shilled, it takes two to tango - something just isn't right here.

But those Superman prices were realized in the live bidding at the end. This other craziness is happening before, leading into the live auction. I also concur, something does not add up here.

I asked CC about the Thrillings and was told they were bought by a collector they were familiar with. They could have been yanking my chain but that is what they told me.

Sounds (and smells) very Fishy to me - the owner of the auction site puts books from his personal collection up and they get "insane" prices via an unknown entity. Really?

It makes one really wonder to what lengths some people will go to in order to sit on top of the heap.

How about the brittle 4.0 Action 1 that they just claimed sold for nearly a third of a million dollars, yet it's up for auction with them again. Verily.

CC should be reporting their commissions from such alleged sales for tax purposes, eh? hm

hm

I was actually going to make a similar post today to ask what on earth was going on.....I thought maybe it could be as simple as two bidders mistook Batman 8 for batman 1 :insane: but with this happening to so many books?!

Bored Billionaires who have a bet on who wins more this HA series?

Generally I try to stay out of these types of discussions. If one of our fellow boardies is going "all in" for a book they just gotta have, I hate to rain on anyone's parade. Lord knows, I've had auction fever a time or two myself.

But I just have to ask if there is something I'm missing here. Take a look at the Cap #5 CGC 6.5 OW/W that SparkleCity sold last night on eBay for $3756:

Captain America #5 on eBay

Now for a direct comparison, check out the "same" book in the Heritage auction, a Cap #5 CGC 6.5 CR/OW (and maybe rusty staples):

Captain America #5 on Heritage

OK, so what am I missing here? What makes the HA copy with worse PQ and lower eye appeal worth almost 4X the eBay copy with better PQ and eye appeal? What makes this HA copy worth what a 9.0 sold for just 6 months ago?

You know, there is stupid money and then there is crazy stupid money. It looks like lots of the prices in this auction are well into the second category. This is not good.

Or you can take the 8.0 on ebay right now for less than 8k. Buy it now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-8-0-CAPTAIN-AMERICA-5-VF-Cond-Cream-to-Off-White-Pages-Golden-Age-1941-/140728946349?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20c4194ead

You can also take the Cap 7 at HA. At 23K its a steal :insane:

Something is going on. :screwy:

I never was a big fan of Buy it Now, but now?? Maybe E-Bay needs a category like BIN or bid higher. :insane:

Generally I try to stay out of these types of discussions. If one of our fellow boardies is going "all in" for a book they just gotta have, I hate to rain on anyone's parade. Lord knows, I've had auction fever a time or two myself.

But I just have to ask if there is something I'm missing here. Take a look at the Cap #5 CGC 6.5 OW/W that SparkleCity sold last night on eBay for $3756:

Captain America #5 on eBay

Now for a direct comparison, check out the "same" book in the Heritage auction, a Cap #5 CGC 6.5 CR/OW (and maybe rusty staples):

Captain America #5 on Heritage

OK, so what am I missing here? What makes the HA copy with worse PQ and lower eye appeal worth almost 4X the eBay copy with better PQ and eye appeal? What makes this HA copy worth what a 9.0 sold for just 6 months ago?

You know, there is stupid money and then there is crazy stupid money. It looks like lots of the prices in this auction are well into the second category. This is not good.

Which goes to show that all you really need to hook is one big whale then a hundred minnows to make some cash! :devil:

Maybe someone should contact Borock? These bids are a farce... Superman #6 7.0 at $19k? The same book sold for $4500 2 months ago...

Now this is absolutely nuts! :insane:

I'd understand it if one big spending, non informed bidder hit the bin on a certain book listed on a dealer website and paid 4 times current FMV. However, you'd have to expect something fishy is going on when it's 2 or more bidders, and especially this early in the auction. For instance, is Heritage allowing the person whom retracted their $108k bid on the All Flash #1 copy to also bid on other books in this auction? I hope it's all legit, but definitely a head scratcher. hm

Maybe someone should contact Borock? These bids are a farce... Superman #6 7.0 at $19k? The same book sold for $4500 2 months ago...

I'm sure lots of people are contacting him....about consigning!