• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

The market moving forward is gong to be all about keys and classic covers. Who can afford to start collecting as a "completionist" in today's market? From personal experience, I know it's easier to pay nosebleed prices and set GPA records to get that last book or two you need to complete a run than to start from scratch.

When most of your collection was picked up years ago at a fraction of today's market (like Doug's), it's easier justifying buying a couple books...but to start anew trying to amass Spidey 1 - 100, Avengers 1 - 100, FF 1 - 100, etc.,. would be an expensive proposition to say the least! :cry:

I think the opposite. There's so much emphasis now on SA keys that the decreased demand for non-keys has coupled with an increase in high grade supply to crater prices for all but the key books.

With low prices and high availability, this is the single best time to be a "completionist" SA collector since the advent of CGC.

I had a conversation with Joey at Heroes this year that seems to echo your view Bob.

It seems prices have fallen for non-key and non-classic cover books. I am in no way closely tuned to market pricing since ive been out for about 2 years, but it does appear to be a softer market for "filler" issues

The market moving forward is gong to be all about keys and classic covers. Who can afford to start collecting as a "completionist" in today's market? From personal experience, I know it's easier to pay nosebleed prices and set GPA records to get that last book or two you need to complete a run than to start from scratch.

When most of your collection was picked up years ago at a fraction of today's market (like Doug's), it's easier justifying buying a couple books...but to start anew trying to amass Spidey 1 - 100, Avengers 1 - 100, FF 1 - 100, etc.,. would be an expensive proposition to say the least! :cry:

Tell me about it! Try doing it in all Pedigrees like I am!!!

At least I thankfully love Avengers which are relatively cheap. I can't even imagine trying ASMs or FFs! :o

I went to look at your gallery of Avengers pedigree's that you have a link to in your sig but it is obscured!?!? Why have a link then? I was looking forward to checking it out. Congrats on the #57 by the way, it is a sharp looking copy!

Tell me about it! Try doing it in all Pedigrees like I am!!!

At least I thankfully love Avengers which are relatively cheap. I can't even imagine trying ASMs or FFs! :o

I went to look at your gallery of Avengers pedigree's that you have a link to in your sig but it is obscured!?!? Why have a link then? I was looking forward to checking it out. Congrats on the #57 by the way, it is a sharp looking copy!

I only obscured it for this auction. It'll be back public in 6 minutes (thumbs u

How long does it take for the auction results to make it's way to GPA?

I was wondering that also. He usually has them on instantly but I guess he's waiting for the entire auction to end and they'll be on Monday or atuesday (shrug)

(thumbs u

I've been saying this exact thing for years now. I would also add that the internet has accelerated the typical "collecting cycle" so that interests change on a whim. Add that to the expensive nature of the hobby and you get collecting ADD.

The ability to move books quickly to buy other books adds to the appeal of keys and classic covers, because collectors know there are always buyers to be found for those books in a pinch.

Still hard to fathom for me why the big drop in prices .

Still hard for me to fathom that any copy of Avengers 33 sold for $3K ever.

(thumbs u

I've been saying this exact thing for years now.

It's been like this for decades as I was given the exact same advice back in the 80's and 90's.

You should always go for the keys and classic covers and in the highest grade possible. If you spent all of your money on non-keys or run-of-the-mill books in half decent shape, you won't have any money left when the true investment quality books come along. (thumbs u

Of course, there's always exceptions to the general, but not too many. Needless to say, it also doesn't apply if you have unlimited funds to spend. hm

As further confirmation of this, I just popped over to the Heritage screen and it looks like virtually every single Batman book is going for a discount to OS guide, and in some cases a huge discount to guide. Yet, all we usually hear about is how hot the pre-Robin 'Tec books are.

I have a question for marvel silver age collectors. How will the prices be effected with a big bidder like Doug out of the picture?

I believe you are witnessing it right in front of your eyes right now as it unfolds. :gossip:

A rising supply of newly manufactured uber HG copies along with less people willing to play this silly game of highest graded copy and/or Registry points is resulting in signficant drops in prices realized. :tonofbricks:

I have a question for marvel silver age collectors. How will the prices be effected with a big bidder like Doug out of the picture?

I believe you are witnessing it right in front of your eyes right now as it unfolds. :gossip:

A rising supply of newly manufactured uber HG copies along with less people willing to play this silly game of highest graded copy and/or Registry points is resulting in signficant drops in prices realized. :tonofbricks:

No one would pay super high prices just for registry points!

Really, when did this happened? ???

Nobody cares about having the CGC highest graded copy or to have the #1 Registry set for a particular title. Wonder why CGC is still running big headlines about the World's #1 CGC Marvel Collection then? lol

Nobody cares about having the CGC highest graded copy or to have the #1 Registry set for a particular title. Wonder why CGC is still running big headlines about the World's #1 CGC Marvel Collection then? lol

I can (sorta) understand wanting the highest graded copy, but registry points? That's like paying extra money to bump up your high score in a video game. :shrug:

I can (sorta) understand wanting the highest graded copy, but registry points? That's like paying extra money to bump up your high score in a video game. :shrug:

People do that on a daily basis. :gossip:

People do that on a daily basis. :gossip:

Wha? That'd be like paying top dollar just to pump up your registry points !! lol

Still hard to fathom for me why the big drop in prices . The Avengers is the biggest box-office super hero movie of all-time,and yet the Avengers comic books dropped considerably after the blockbuster movie came out.This just goes to show that investing in comics because they are getting a movie is a bad investment. If Avenger comic books dropped in value after being number one all-time at the super hero box-office,then good luck to people investing in Guardian of the Galaxy and Rocket Racoon comic books,

;)

Is this not the historical pattern when it comes to movies and comic books right back to the first Batman movie in '89?

Prices always goes up from the time of the announcement up to just before the release of the movie. Once the movie hits the threatres, it's generally all downhill from there. :gossip:

Still hard to fathom for me why the big drop in prices .

Still hard for me to fathom that any copy of Avengers 33 sold for $3K ever.

(worship)

+1,000,000

Not to mention $4500 for a #42?!? :ohnoez:

Those were crazy sales for a number of reasons and were never going to be repeated especially after more and 9.8's surfaced and were added to the census. I've followed every Avengers auction very closely for the last year and the prices in this auction for them were pretty damn good. Maybe not compared to those incredibly high single sales 3-5 years ago but for what copies have been going for in the last year or so and what Twin Cities and Suscha News copies have sold for, these prices were pretty good.

Just an example, the Twin Cities Avengers 98 CGC9.8 sold in August 2011 for $263. Doug's Rocky Mountain 9.8 #98 sold today for $448.13 with BP. That's almost 67% higher so sounds pretty strong to me.

The 9.8 Suscha News 97 sold in November for $566, Doug's rocky mountain 9.8 sold today for $1135.25. There's a TON of others just like it so I don't understand everyone saying how bad the prices were other than looking at one insanely high sale 3-5 years ago when those issues were single highest graded. IMO, prices were INCREDIBLY strong today on the issues from 69-100 (thumbs u

I have a question for you marvel age silver age collectors. How will the prices be effected with a big bidder like Doug out of the picture?

You just saw (thumbs u

All it takes is for one BSD to drop out and a book that he bid up to over 2k 8 months ago just went for $700. Those crazy high numbers though were anomalies so really the only affect will be that you wont see those INSANE numbers like the 28k 57 sale until another BSD or two take his place.

I don't think another BSD sucker coming into the marketplace in a few years from now is really going to make much of a difference. By then, the population of uber HG copies will be just that much higher than what it is right now.

Not sure, but are copies of Hulk #181 still going for $20K or for $40K like how they were several years ago? hm