• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

I'm with you Sufunk, I participated in session 4 today and watched some pretty ridiculous price jumps on the bulk of Marvel titles. Some serious label chasing going on for standard filler issues. The shocker for me wasn't so much the Avengers, at least there is an excuse for over exuberance, the shocker was Daredevil. I never realized there was such a rabid desire to pay infinity "x" guide for Daredevil filler copies.

I'm with you Sufunk, I participated in session 4 today and watched some pretty ridiculous price jumps on the bulk of Marvel titles. Some serious label chasing going on for standard filler issues. The shocker for me wasn't so much the Avengers, at least there is an excuse for over exuberance, the shocker was Daredevil. I never realized there was such a rabid desire to pay infinity "x" guide for Daredevil filler copies.

Agreed.

Granted, I don't follow DD so I wasn't sure what they "should" go for but I was blown away at what issues in the 30's and 40's were going for! Some of them were over 2k and it seemed to me like they were going for multiples of what i thought they'd go for. Again, I don't follow DD but I couldn't believe the prices some of those later non key issues were getting! :o

The market moving forward is gong to be all about keys and classic covers. Who can afford to start collecting as a "completionist" in today's market? From personal experience, I know it's easier to pay nosebleed prices and set GPA records to get that last book or two you need to complete a run than to start from scratch.

(thumbs u

I've been saying this exact thing for years now.

It's been like this for decades as I was given the exact same advice back in the 80's and 90's.

Actually, it wasn't like this in the 80's and 90's. (shrug)

In the 80's and 90's, the average middle-class American could afford to compile long, NM/NM+ runs of their favorite silver age titles. Mid-60's Marvels in uber-grade were certainly affordable, as opposed to today where they sell for hundreds to thousands of dollars. Actually, run of the mill books in uber-grade might have proven to be a much better investment than buying the keys back then given the prices these books brought a few years ago back when the market topped out.

The WM AF 15 is a great example - isn't this the book that sold for an "earth shattering" $40k in the early 90's, and for $120k as a slabbed 9.4 in 2005? Wonder what $40k worth of NM/NM+ WM runs (non-key, mid-run books) purchased in the early 90's would have brought during the 2009/2010 peak? :o

I have a question for marvel silver age collectors. How will the prices be effected with a big bidder like Doug out of the picture?

I believe you are witnessing it right in front of your eyes right now as it unfolds. :gossip:

A rising supply of newly manufactured uber HG copies along with less people willing to play this silly game of highest graded copy and/or Registry points is resulting in signficant drops in prices realized. :tonofbricks:

No one would pay super high prices just for registry points!

Really, when did this happened? ???

Nobody cares about having the CGC highest graded copy or to have the #1 Registry set for a particular title. Wonder why CGC is still running big headlines about the World's #1 CGC Marvel Collection then? lol

I can (sorta) understand wanting the highest graded copy, but registry points? That's like paying extra money to bump up your high score in a video game. :shrug:

I think you are a little out of touch. There are people that are 100% focused on the points.

I'm confused; looked over Doug's auction a few minutes ago and if I read the site correctly, the Avengers #57 indicates that it went for approx $9500 w/BP and that the new owner is accepting bids starting at approx $12,500.

Based on your many comments in the thread it's clear you'd never sell, so what am I missing??

Thanks...harry.

I'm confused; looked over Doug's auction a few minutes ago and if I read the site correctly, the Avengers #57 indicates that it went for approx $9500 w/BP and that the new owner is accepting bids starting at approx $12,500.

Based on your many comments in the thread it's clear you'd never sell, so what am I missing??

Thanks...harry.

I think it is an auto-thing for Heritage.

I think you are a little out of touch. There are people that are 100% focused on the points.

There are. Lots of people are looking to have the best set of whatever they are collecting.

Thanks...harry.

Huh??? It says I'm accepting bids on my Avengers 57?!?

That BETTER be an automatic thing because I can assure you it's not for sale, I'm not accepting bids and no way in hell would I sell it for 12,500 or any other price unless someone was going to go so far over the top I'd have to be insane to refuse (thumbs u

If it is on there like that, that's BS!!! I don't like that and they have no right IMO to have it on their site like it's possibly for sale cus it ain't! :censored:

I have seen a lot of stuff going for under guide. The Batman stuff is drastically down, guess the new movie hasn't brought any additional excitement for the title.

$10MIL in one auction PLUS all the other auctions running around us is just more than our relatively small hobby can handle.

It looks like we've hit a ceiling as far as how much money we can suck out of people's pockets before we all run out of cash.

I'd be surprised if anyone consigns another similar collection all in one shot like this, at least until there is an indication that there is more money to spend in the future than there is right now.

Thanks...harry.

That BETTER be an automatic thing because I can assure you it's not for sale, I'm not accepting bids and no way in hell would I sell it for 12,500 or any other price unless someone was going to go so far over the top I'd have to be insane to refuse (thumbs u

If it is on there like that, that's BS!!! I don't like that and they have no right IMO to have it on their site like it's possibly for sale cus it ain't! :censored:

It's been opined that it's an auto thing but not every book indicates that the new owner is interested in new bids.

On another note it appears that there are approx 12 books for resale immediately with an average buy price of about a grand and an average new BIN of about 6 grand.

has the world gone nuts???? (Or is my boy G-Man involved??)

:jokealert:

I have seen a lot of stuff going for under guide. The Batman stuff is drastically down, guess the new movie hasn't brought any additional excitement for the title.

$10MIL in one auction PLUS all the other auctions running around us is just more than our relatively small hobby can handle.

It looks like we've hit a ceiling as far as how much money we can suck out of people's pockets before we all run out of cash.

I'd be surprised if anyone consigns another similar collection all in one shot like this, at least until there is an indication that there is more money to spend in the future than there is right now.

Hey Roy,

I am actually not out of cash, just the price level of a lot of stuff was higher than I was willing to pay. I figure I will wait until it gets recycled again and see if I can pick it up cheaper.

You know the one thing no one seems to be mentioning in relation to the prices Doug's books brought? The fact that it was Doug selling them. Lots of people were stating before the auction that they would not bid on his books because they did not want to support him. Why is it now after the auction is over, people aren't talking about the fact that there were potential bidders taken out of the equation based simply on the consignor? Why is that not being factored into the realized prices? Obviously it would have had a negative impact. Less bidders = lower prices in almost every case.

Thanks...harry.

As great as 57 is, isn't 58 a better story? I mean, the last page is pure classic - one of the best illustrations of any silver age marvel - poster-worthy even.

So yeah, don't sell any of them. Your collection is great, sufunk!

Yeah, Doug must be really upset at having sold so many books at once and grossing $3.9 million. ;)

Thanks...harry.

It's been opined that it's an auto thing but not every book indicates that the new owner is interested in new bids.

On another note it appears that there are approx 12 books for resale immediately with an average buy price of about a grand and an average new BIN of about 6 grand.

has the world gone nuts???? (Or is my boy G-Man involved??)

:jokealert:

I can assure you it's not for sale and the only way I'd consider it would be if someone was going to give me well over 20k. There's another 9.8 Pedigree on eBay for $19,999 so if I could replace it with that and make a profit, obviously I'd do that. Also obviously though, that ain't happening since anyone could have placed one more bid and bought it themselves much less pay double what I did!

The market moving forward is gong to be all about keys and classic covers. Who can afford to start collecting as a "completionist" in today's market? From personal experience, I know it's easier to pay nosebleed prices and set GPA records to get that last book or two you need to complete a run than to start from scratch.

(thumbs u

I've been saying this exact thing for years now.

It's been like this for decades as I was given the exact same advice back in the 80's and 90's.

You should always go for the keys and classic covers and in the highest grade possible. If you spent all of your money on non-keys or run-of-the-mill books in half decent shape, you won't have any money left when the true investment quality books come along. (thumbs u

Actually, percentage-wise, the BEST investment to put your money into in the 80s and 90s was ultra-high grade non-keys and run-of-the-mill SA and BA books. That`s where CGC and the internet caused the greatest jump in prices.

Now, the prices of those ultra-HG non-keys and run-of-the-mill SA and BA books are plummeting, and everyone is piling into the keys as the last refuge because they`re still going up in price. I`ve said this before--the emergence of a "Nifty Fifty" phenomenon usually signals that last leg of a bubble.

The WM AF 15 is a great example - isn't this the book that sold for an "earth shattering" $40k in the early 90's, and for $120k as a slabbed 9.4 in 2005? Wonder what $40k worth of NM/NM+ WM runs (non-key, mid-run books) purchased in the early 90's would have brought during the 2009/2010 peak? :o

I was thinking the same thing, although to be fair the 9.4 WM AF 15 would probably go for around $300K today, so call it a 800% increase.

If you put the same $40K into NM/M non-key, mid-run books during the same period, I think they`d be worth well over $300K today.

I think the only problem is that I`m not sure it would`ve been physically possible to spent $40K on non-key, mid-run books at the time. I can`t imagine runs of non-key, mid-run TOS, TTA, Strange Tales, Avengers, FF and DD costing $40K in 1992. You`d probably have to branch into BA too to spend all your money.

In fact, I would guess that in percentage terms, BA has been the biggest bonanza. I bet percentage-wise, the biggest moneymaker for Doug by far has actually been the boxes of Winnipeg BAs that he got for peanuts from Greenhalgh.