• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

But I alerted immigration and homeland security, just in case Tim tries to sneak back into the country.

The procedures are always much more relaxed for those of us who fly in on private jets. :gossip:

.....they don't need to know about the stripper pole and the cache of two-person parachutes....GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I could be wrong but based on how the live bidding was going, I got the feeling that 1person won like 20-25 of the books between like 20-70. For some reason, I just have the feeling it was a dealer. I could be completely wrong and its a collector, that's why I'm very interested in seeing if they show up for sale anytime soon.

It has begun

Not even in hand yet, geeze...people need to at least wait until the body's cold!

I could be wrong but based on how the live bidding was going, I got the feeling that 1person won like 20-25 of the books between like 20-70. For some reason, I just have the feeling it was a dealer. I could be completely wrong and its a collector, that's why I'm very interested in seeing if they show up for sale anytime soon.

It has begun

Not even in hand yet, geeze...people need to at least wait until the body's cold!

No doubt, and if a non-descript, run-of-the-mill post-1965 book like this can be flipped for a profit and sell for Two Thousand Dollars(!), then Doug sold too soon! lol

I'm VERY intested to see how many of these books went to collectors like me as keepers and how many will be on dealers websites for outrageous prices in a month hm

There were a TON of Avengers that "only" went for $1000-1500 that were bought by Doug in bidding wars in 2007-2009 for like $3500-4500. I would bet that a LOT of those will very soon be on dealers sites for $2500-3000. I could be wrong but if I'm not, those dealers are going to be waiting a LONG time before ANYONE even considers buying them at the prices they'll have them listed for. I can't wait to see how many actually were bought by dealers but again, I have a sneaking suspicion that a good number of at least the Avengers ended up in dealers hands.

Sufunk, congratulations on your pick-up. It reminded me of a conversation we had in the Silver forum back on July 7:

2 of the ones i want are ones that i thought 100% i would win when they were up for auction in the last year with completely over the top bids. Both of them i was SHOCKED that someone actually outbid me on them and couldn't for the life of me figure who it could be. I should have known it was freaking Doug blowing me out of the water!!! doh!

Well, now you're going to get a great opportunity to pick up some of these books at a lower price than you were willing to pay the first time around. My guess is that Doug's going to take a bath on some of his more recent acquisitions, unless there is suddenly some mysterious bidding to prop up his prices.

It would actually be very interesting to see what the sale prices were for a lot of the more recently acquired books, particularly the Rocky Mountains and Twin Cities books, so we can compare to what the sales price will be here.

Thanks man!

Yeah, i remember that exchange we had and it DEFINITELY came to pass! One of the books i was talking about was the 9.8 Oakland Avengers 62. It is the only 9.8 and last November went for $2059. I was going to be out the night it went to auction and put in what i thought was an INSANE over the top bid of $2009, I figure it would go for $800-100 but didnt want to take any chances with the extended bidding on comicconnect. I came home and saw i lost it at $2059 and was completely mindblown!

It sold Thursday for $709 with BP :pullhair: Unfortunately though i didnt win it. I was stuck in a horrific traffic jam on the highway that cleared in the middle of the bidding on the 57. Once i won that, i was already over budget and trying to drive on the highway and look at the catalog and my gpa printout with my notes was just too much so i told the lady on the phone i was good and hung up and didnt bid after #57. Someone got a GREAT deal on that 62 imo since its the single highest graded for the moment. Of course, when another surfaces, who knows what'll happen but i doubt the next one that surfaces will also be a Ped so theres a pretty good chance it stays the highest Ped copy.

When i got home and saw how cheap it went compared to last November, i was definitely a little pissed at my self for getting off the phone early :censored:

It has begun

No doubt, and if a non-descript, run-of-the-mill post-1965 book like this can be flipped for a profit and sell for Two Thousand Dollars(!), then Doug sold too soon! lol

Its just a stupid move imo.

It just sold in an AMAZINGLY public auction for a little over $1100. No one was willing to bid it any higher. And that wasnt some steal price imo. It was comparable to what issues like it went for. What in the hell makes someone think that theres gonna be people out there that now want it for almost double what it just sold for???

Its not a key or semi key issue and clearly theres no one now trying to build a #1 registry so who exactly is gonna shell out 2k or anything close for an Avengers 33???

HORRIBLE "investment" by someone! rantrant

I dont really care since i didnt bid and already have a 9.6 Pedigree #33 but its just a little annoying that i wanted some of these books to keep for the rest of my life but got bid up and/or outbid by people who wanted them for nothing but a quick flip. Even that wouldnt bug me except for the fact that theres ZERO chance of any quick flip on books like that! meh

I have a question for you marvel age silver age collectors. How will the prices be effected with a big bidder like Doug out of the picture?

You just saw (thumbs u

All it takes is for one BSD to drop out and a book that he bid up to over 2k 8 months ago just went for $700. Those crazy high numbers though were anomalies so really the only affect will be that you wont see those INSANE numbers like the 28k 57 sale until another BSD or two take his place.

I'm VERY intested to see how many of these books went to collectors like me as keepers and how many will be on dealers websites for outrageous prices in a month hm

There were a TON of Avengers that "only" went for $1000-1500 that were bought by Doug in bidding wars in 2007-2009 for like $3500-4500. I would bet that a LOT of those will very soon be on dealers sites for $2500-3000. I could be wrong but if I'm not, those dealers are going to be waiting a LONG time before ANYONE even considers buying them at the prices they'll have them listed for. I can't wait to see how many actually were bought by dealers but again, I have a sneaking suspicion that a good number of at least the Avengers ended up in dealers hands.

Sufunk, congratulations on your pick-up. It reminded me of a conversation we had in the Silver forum back on July 7:

2 of the ones i want are ones that i thought 100% i would win when they were up for auction in the last year with completely over the top bids. Both of them i was SHOCKED that someone actually outbid me on them and couldn't for the life of me figure who it could be. I should have known it was freaking Doug blowing me out of the water!!! doh!

Well, now you're going to get a great opportunity to pick up some of these books at a lower price than you were willing to pay the first time around. My guess is that Doug's going to take a bath on some of his more recent acquisitions, unless there is suddenly some mysterious bidding to prop up his prices.

It would actually be very interesting to see what the sale prices were for a lot of the more recently acquired books, particularly the Rocky Mountains and Twin Cities books, so we can compare to what the sales price will be here.

Thanks man!

Yeah, i remember that exchange we had and it DEFINITELY came to pass! One of the books i was talking about was the 9.8 Oakland Avengers 62. It is the only 9.8 and last November went for $2059. I was going to be out the night it went to auction and put in what i thought was an INSANE over the top bid of $2009, I figure it would go for $800-100 but didnt want to take any chances with the extended bidding on comicconnect. I came home and saw i lost it at $2059 and was completely mindblown!

It sold Thursday for $709 with BP :pullhair: Unfortunately though i didnt win it. I was stuck in a horrific traffic jam on the highway that cleared in the middle of the bidding on the 57. Once i won that, i was already over budget and trying to drive on the highway and look at the catalog and my gpa printout with my notes was just too much so i told the lady on the phone i was good and hung up and didnt bid after #57. Someone got a GREAT deal on that 62 imo since its the single highest graded for the moment. Of course, when another surfaces, who knows what'll happen but i doubt the next one that surfaces will also be a Ped so theres a pretty good chance it stays the highest Ped copy.

When i got home and saw how cheap it went compared to last November, i was definitely a little pissed at my self for getting off the phone early :censored:

Still hard to fathom for me why the big drop in prices . The Avengers is the biggest box-office super hero movie of all-time,and yet the Avengers comic books dropped considerably after the blockbuster movie came out.This just goes to show that investing in comics because they are getting a movie is a bad investment. If Avenger comic books dropped in value after being number one all-time at the super hero box-office,then good luck to people investing in Guardian of the Galaxy and Rocket Racoon comic books,

;)

I have a question for you marvel age silver age collectors. How will the prices be effected with a big bidder like Doug out of the picture?

You just saw (thumbs u

All it takes is for one BSD to drop out and a book that he bid up to over 2k 8 months ago just went for $700. Those crazy high numbers though were anomalies so really the only affect will be that you wont see those INSANE numbers like the 28k 57 sale until another BSD or two take his place.

Wow, that means collectors will be able to get stuff a little easier now.

Thanks man!

Still hard to fathom for me why the big drop in prices . The Avengers is the biggest box-office super hero movie of all-time,and yet the Avengers comic books dropped considerably after the blockbuster movie came out.This just goes to show that investing in comics because they are getting a movie is a bad investment. If Avenger comic books dropped after being number one all-time,then good luck to people investing in Guardian of the Galaxy and Rocket Racoon comic books,

;)

There is only so much money to go around.

And I have faith in the Raccoon. His first appearance was a $5 book a couple months ago. Nowhere to go but up!

BTW, I assume Doug will remember to remove his books from the registry when he's finished counting his millions.

Same here. I noticed his Avengers registry is still active.

Thanks man!

Still hard to fathom for me why the big drop in prices . The Avengers is the biggest box-office super hero movie of all-time,and yet the Avengers comic books dropped considerably after the blockbuster movie came out.This just goes to show that investing in comics because they are getting a movie is a bad investment. If Avenger comic books dropped in value after being number one all-time at the super hero box-office,then good luck to people investing in Guardian of the Galaxy and Rocket Racoon comic books,

;)

They didnt really drop in "value". Those huge sales were never the true value. Those were skewed numbers caused by someone with near unlimited funds willing to pay ANYTHING to get it. I always thought it was like an $700-800 book which apparently it is since it now went for $709. To think it was a 2k book just is t realistic. Same with all those ones he bought for $3500-4500 in 2009. Those were NOT 4k books. They were $1200-1500 books that he WAY over payed for in bidding wars because he HAD to have the single highest graded copy. Most of them aren't even single highest anymore so they came back to their "true" $1200-1500 value IMO.

It has begun

That book has ZERO chance of selling for 2k anytime remotely soon. It wont even sell for $1500. I'd bet you anything its still sitting there in 2 years with a highest offer of like $1000-1200 if that (thumbs u

;)

Flippers flipping to flippers - that is all. Don't be the last flipper holding the bag of sh*t.

It has begun

That book has ZERO chance of selling for 2k anytime remotely soon. It wont even sell for $1500. I'd bet you anything its still sitting there in 2 years with a highest offer of like $1000-1200 if that (thumbs u

I may disagree with you on this one. One of the "nice" features of CLINK is their "make offer" feature. This also allow "fake bids" to be placed on items to create a perception of a demand at a certain level.

Ok, i bet you $2k it sells today for $2k if you accept my $2k bet.

It has begun

I may disagree with you on this one. One of the "nice" features of CLINK is their "make offer" feature. This also allow "fake bids" to be placed on items to create a perception of a demand at a certain level.

Thats the only chance it has and i dont think it even has that. People just dont understand whats going on when they see prices on gpa. I have a weird feeling some people looked on gpa and saw some of these sold for like $4000 back in 2009 so thought "DAMN!!! i can get a 4k book for $1200-1500!!!" and bought them hoping for a flip. Like i said a few posts ago though, those were NOT 4k books. Doug WAY overpayed for them because he HAD to have the highest graded copies. Doug aint around anymore to buy these and most arent single highest graded anymore so to think these were really 4k books was foolish at best. They are $1000-1500 books and unless they get a miracle, thats all anyone will get for them anytime soon (thumbs u

Now, maybe they can talk an uninformed buyer into thinking its a deal by showing them the 4k sale and get lucky but i wouldnt hold my breath if i was any of those sellers! :preach:

The market moving forward is gong to be all about keys and classic covers. Who can afford to start collecting as a "completionist" in today's market? From personal experience, I know it's easier to pay nosebleed prices and set GPA records to get that last book or two you need to complete a run than to start from scratch.

When most of your collection was picked up years ago at a fraction of today's market (like Doug's), it's easier justifying buying a couple books...but to start anew trying to amass Spidey 1 - 100, Avengers 1 - 100, FF 1 - 100, etc.,. would be an expensive proposition to say the least! :cry:

The market moving forward is gong to be all about keys and classic covers. Who can afford to start collecting as a "completionist" in today's market? From personal experience, I know it's easier to pay nosebleed prices and set GPA records to get that last book or two you need to complete a run than to start from scratch.

When most of your collection was picked up years ago at a fraction of today's market (like Doug's), it's easier justifying buying a couple books...but to start anew trying to amass Spidey 1 - 100, Avengers 1 - 100, FF 1 - 100, etc.,. would be an expensive proposition to say the least! :cry:

Tell me about it! Try doing it in all Pedigrees like I am!!!

At least I thankfully love Avengers which are relatively cheap. I can't even imagine trying ASMs or FFs! :o