• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

here's a screen shoot

ScreenShot2012-07-29at23138AM.png

What does it say if you click the green make an offer box?

When I do it for other books, it says "the owner is actively accepting bids"? That's what I REALLY want to know if it says for mine now!

I don't care about make an offer . It they want to try that it's fine by me. If it says I'm actively accepting offers when I'm not though, I have a BIG Aproblem with that that can't be explained away with some default setting. That would just be a flat out lie! hm

Actually the screen shot says that, "The owner of this item has indicated that they are entertaining offers on this item," at the bottom of the text block beneath the green button.

Thats only because he isnt signed in and didnt click the "make an offer" button. Once both of those are done, it did say that i was actively accepting offers on this book meh

Apparently its the way the default setting works. Personally, i just dont like the wording of that for a default setting. I'd assume most people were like me and didnt even know this was happening so to have the default setting say "the owner is ACTIVELY accepting offers" when its nothing more than a default setting a lot of people dont even know about rubs me the wrong way. Not really a big deal but it is kind of annoying to come home and read a few pms about how im basically a liar because of the wording of their default setting (shrug)

I didnt see you as a liar, I saw it as a mistake on heritages part.

Good point about a page or two back.

In terms of percentage returns, you'd probably have been far better off loading up on raw 9.2-9.4 non-key DC Bronze horror titles back in 1990-1992 than even top tier Silver Age keys at the time.

Back in the early 90s, virturally any non-House of Secrets 92 mystery issue could be had for $2-$6; ditto House of Mystery.Those books exploded over the next decade and by a percentage increase standpoint, dwarfed the gains seen by House of Secrets 92, which was already too expensive by comparison.

I think some of us have realized that most off these comics were brought to new artificial price heights do to them getting major motion pictures made. There was a certain excitement that Batman,Spider-man,X-men and Avengers were getting big block buster movies done about them,and that excitement has now worn off. You can see it in the lower prices as examples. 2c

Surely there will be cyclical rises and falls, but your statement feels incorrect to me. We've been seeing blockbuster Batman movies for over 20 years.

Yes we have seen Batman blockbuster movies for 20 +years, but the pre-Nolan Batman films didn`t have CGC,social media and EBay to fuel them like the Nolan films did.

I do agree with your cyclical rises and falls,and right now we are seeing the bubble pop with some of these comics you allude to.

I think some of us have realized that most off these comics were brought to new artificial price heights do to them getting major motion pictures made. There was a certain excitement that Batman,Spider-man,X-men and Avengers were getting big block buster movies done about them,and that excitement has now worn off. You can see it in the lower prices as examples. 2c

Surely there will be cyclical rises and falls, but your statement feels incorrect to me. We've been seeing blockbuster Batman movies for over 20 years.

Yes we have seen Batman blockbuster movies for 20 +years, but the pre-Nolan Batman films didn`t have CGC,social media and EBay to fuel them like the Nolan films did.

I do agree with your cyclical rises and falls,and right now we are seeing the bubble pop with some of these comics you allude to.

I only actively follow Avengers out of those movie titles but i thought the prices were pretty damn good for the later non key issues. Some of the early issues were a little softer than what i expected theyd do but a LOT of the later ones shocked me! especially compared to some recent sales of other Pedigrees. They didnt come close to matching the prices of earlier sales when those books were single highest graded but compared to recent sales of Suscha news and Twin Cities books, a lot of the later issues CRUSHED what those other Peds recently got (shrug)

here's a screen shoot

ScreenShot2012-07-29at23138AM.png

What does it say if you click the green make an offer box?

When I do it for other books, it says "the owner is actively accepting bids"? That's what I REALLY want to know if it says for mine now!

I don't care about make an offer . It they want to try that it's fine by me. If it says I'm actively accepting offers when I'm not though, I have a BIG Aproblem with that that can't be explained away with some default setting. That would just be a flat out lie! hm

Actually the screen shot says that, "The owner of this item has indicated that they are entertaining offers on this item," at the bottom of the text block beneath the green button.

Thats only because he isnt signed in and didnt click the "make an offer" button. Once both of those are done, it did say that i was actively accepting offers on this book meh

Apparently its the way the default setting works. Personally, i just dont like the wording of that for a default setting. I'd assume most people were like me and didnt even know this was happening so to have the default setting say "the owner is ACTIVELY accepting offers" when its nothing more than a default setting a lot of people dont even know about rubs me the wrong way. Not really a big deal but it is kind of annoying to come home and read a few pms about how im basically a liar because of the wording of their default setting (shrug)

I didnt see you as a liar, I saw it as a mistake on heritages part.

Ditto for me - assumed that it was probably some sort of default setting and was merely bringing it to your attention.

If it had been me, and I'd solidly stated how much i was thrilled about the win and would never part with the book, I'd be a bit pizzed that some might construe the website as making me look disingenuous... :foryou:

Yeah, that's what has me a little annoyed. I spent all day Thursday saying this was my all time grail and I'd never sell it and next thing I know people are asking why it's being offered at a $12,500 bid. I've said a couple times I'm not real thrilled with people that buy books at auction and immediately mark it way up. I've always said that's dumb since it just sold publicly and no one wanted to pay more for it and next thing I know it looks like I'm doing that exact thing (shrug)

Jason you should leave the make an offer option on, won't hurt. You can even set a BIN at whatever dollar amount so if someone is inclined to pay $28K for it again you might be pretty happy. I received an offer for a More Fun #54 that I won years ago (and subsequently sold) that was almost double what I had paid for it. Wish I still had that ook when the offer was made. :pullhair:

I could be wrong but based on how the live bidding was going, I got the feeling that 1person won like 20-25 of the books between like 20-70. For some reason, I just have the feeling it was a dealer. I could be completely wrong and its a collector, that's why I'm very interested in seeing if they show up for sale anytime soon.

It has begun

You mean some people buy books only for a quick flip? How unexpected. :/

PCs are going to lose some of their mystique going forward, as we watch people pass them around like hot potatoes.

what did this one sell for? I would have thought $2K, but I'm guessing not :insane:

EDIT - nevermind, I kept reading and found it!!

Jason, anyone who jumped to the conclusion to send you a PM about the "make offer feature" obviously doesn't know....just silly.

I could be wrong but based on how the live bidding was going, I got the feeling that 1person won like 20-25 of the books between like 20-70. For some reason, I just have the feeling it was a dealer. I could be completely wrong and its a collector, that's why I'm very interested in seeing if they show up for sale anytime soon.

It has begun

You mean some people buy books only for a quick flip? How unexpected. :/

PCs are going to lose some of their mystique going forward, as we watch people pass them around like hot potatoes.

what did this one sell for? I would have thought $2K, but I'm guessing not :insane:

Pretty sweat copy mind you. hm

I have been following this thread wondering what the total value of Doug collection would bring. I did not read the entire thread but I think I saw that the total was 3.9 mil.

I was at the Heritage BH office on Wednesday meeting with Steve while a different auction was going on. Wish it would have been these so i could experience the feel of it with items I understood.

Anyone have any idea how much he might have paid for these books. I was reading that many books were for far less than he paid, but others were way more ( due to the fact he bought them long ago)

Also while I am sure that Doug had these books "VAULTED" the term that the author menat to use was VAUNTED

Also while I am sure that Doug had these books "VAULTED" the term that the author menat to use was VAUNTED

No, I believe the OP mentioned earlier in the thread that this was an intentional joke, ya friggin' grammarian.

Expectations must be mighty high to characterize Doug's return as soft when there are hammer prices like these:

Avengers #2...$39,000

Avengers #12 in 9.6...$8000

Avengers #93...$7000

Daredevil #2...$26000

Daredevil #10...$5300

Daredevil #23...$2100

Fantastic Four #8 in 9.4...$15000

Fantastic Four #16 in 9.6...$10000

Fantastic Four #19 in 9.6...$5300

Fantastic Four #30...$10000

Fantastic Four #31 in 9.6...$9000

Fantastic Four #42...$8300

Fantastic Four #49 in 9.6...$9000

Fantastic Four #61...$4500

Fantastic Four #74 in 9.6...$1500

Strange Tales #120...$5600

Strange Tales #134...$3800

Strange Tales #159...$3100

There were plenty of both strong and weak prices. I think the final tally was strong enough to be considered a major success.

I have been following this thread wondering what the total value of Doug collection would bring. I did not read the entire thread but I think I saw that the total was 3.9 mil.

You should check out the thread in the Gold Comics section. You not only got a running update of the total, but also the number of views the auction has gotten!

Expectations must be mighty high to characterize Doug's return as soft when there are hammer prices like these:

Avengers #2...$39,000

Avengers #12 in 9.6...$8000

Avengers #93...$7000

Daredevil #2...$26000

Daredevil #10...$5300

Daredevil #23...$2100

Fantastic Four #8 in 9.4...$15000

Fantastic Four #16 in 9.6...$10000

Fantastic Four #19 in 9.6...$5300

Fantastic Four #30...$10000

Fantastic Four #31 in 9.6...$9000

Fantastic Four #42...$8300

Fantastic Four #49 in 9.6...$9000

Fantastic Four #61...$4500

Fantastic Four #74 in 9.6...$1500

Strange Tales #120...$5600

Strange Tales #134...$3800

Strange Tales #159...$3100

There were plenty of both strong and weak prices. I think the final tally was strong enough to be considered a major success.

Maybe I'm out of touch with SA Marvel prices, but the final price of the PC ST 110 seemed pretty healthy to me too.

I thought the Circle 8 9.2 TTA 35 (not a Doug book) did very well, particularly considering it's got C-OW pages.

I was just happy to win his his DD #99 - that's all I bid on.

I'm not a 9.8 SA chaser by any means (I don't think I even own one) but since my three of favorite Marvel characters grace the cover together - 9.8 has always been needed in my eyes. :cloud9:

Jason.....great to see you win that book, it has found a great new home. :headbang:

Thanks! :blush:

Seriously, I know sometimes I come off as a world class and sometimes I really am a world class ! The last couple days since my win though I've gotten a bunch of pm's from people here that wether they know it or not I respect the hell out of congratulating me and saying how happy they are for me that I was lucky enough to win that book. Despite what a pita I am a lot of the time, for people like THAT to say the things they have to me both publicly and privately REALLY means a lot to me. It means more than I could ever explain to you guys so I just want to say THANKS to all those people for the nice words! You guys are freaking awesome!!! (worship)(worship)(worship)

No, I believe the OP mentioned earlier in the thread that this was an intentional joke, ya friggin' grammarian.

The Vault

Thanks! :blush:

Seriously, I know sometimes I come off as a world class and sometimes I really am a world class ! The last couple days since my win though I've gotten a bunch of pm's from people here that wether they know it or not I respect the hell out of congratulating me and saying how happy they are for me that I was lucky enough to win that book. Despite what a pita I am a lot of the time, for people like THAT to say the things they have to me both publicly and privately REALLY means a lot to me. It means more than I could ever explain to you guys so I just want to say THANKS to all those people for the nice words! You guys are freaking awesome!!! (worship)(worship)(worship)

Jason I think many dig how you roll - your passion and enthusiasm for books and collecting is awesome. (thumbs u

I haven't said it yet and now feel bad for saying it after the thank-you, but congrats on the great book, Jason! I predict a Vision movie and hushed whispers in the halls of comic-cons everywhere about the dude who snagged the sweet 9.8...