• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 10 1/2 hour Florida Supercon odyssey!

242 posts in this topic

I think that Ms Marvel is perfectly beautiful, and give her all the credit in the world for having the self confidence to wear that costume.

You can think she's unattractive, and that she shouldn't wear that costume in public, But to post it on a public forum just to say how "a 180lb women should not squeeze into a Ms Marvel costume"... really bad form. :facepalm:

You should visit other forums. That's kid play compared to opinions expressed via other forums.

It doesn't matter. To post a pic of someone you don't know for the purpose of degrading them(for no reason).... Pretty deplorable, regardless of where it was posted.

I didn't want to say anything more last night than my once sentence because I didn't want to be labelled a bleeding heart but I have to fully agree with tortoise.

Even if "other internet sites" do it, it's just bad form. For all people know she might be a board member's daughter. Heck, she might be my daughter. She's just a kid trying to have a little fun.

If someone were to substitute the word Jew, gay or coloured person into the context of the sentence there would be a 200 page outrage from the same people who are degrading her but because someone is overweight it's OK to bash them.

It this sort of discussion that is extremely damaging to a woman's self esteem, causes teenage girls to develop eating disorders and causes lifelong struggles among women due to their self esteem. Most guys are doing damage to these women and don't even realize it.

Look, I'm not blind or stupid. I love beautiful women as much as the next guy or girl. I'm not trying to be all self righteous, as I've probably said and done my share of what people consider negative things on this forum I think, but I do believe that this needs to be said and reinforced as it is a real problem for women that this sort of talk happens.

I've got 2 teenage girls and I can tell you that this sort of stuff is very real and very damaging to them.

Somehow, I didn't find that level of malice in his post.

And, for the record, my wife thinks she is too fat to be in that costume. :grin:

I don't think the malice is intended. I just find it amusing that he's one of the first to brand someone a bigot or pull out the pitchfork...but misogyny..hey that's totally cool. It would be one thing if this little club of ours was all men, but I think it's important to remember that there are ladies present and I'm sure they don't appreciate it.

It's an even playing field -- women aren't the only ridiculous looking cosplayers to feel the scorn of the boards.

There's misogyny... and there's smart-assery. This is smart-assery to me. (shrug)

And, for the record, my wife thinks she is too fat to be in that costume. :grin:

I don't think the malice is intended. I just find it amusing that he's one of the first to brand someone a bigot or pull out the pitchfork...but misogyny..hey that's totally cool. It would be one thing if this little club of ours was all men, but I think it's important to remember that there are ladies present and I'm sure they don't appreciate it.

It's an even playing field -- women aren't the only ridiculous looking cosplayers to feel the scorn of the boards.

There's misogyny... and there's smart-assery. This is smart-assery to me. (shrug)

Maybe if this were the users only transgression I would agree with you.

Wouldn't matter to me. I'm an irreverent smart-, often shooting my mouth off repeatedly about the same topics. It can be done. :grin:

Wouldn't matter to me. I'm an irreverent smart-, often shooting my mouth off repeatedly about the same topics. It can be done. :grin:

Most everyone here is an irreverent smart-...it's so refreshing and different.

You are right, though, it was a great opportunity for anyone who felt the sting of being called a bigot, to turn around and take a swipe at Jason.

Bingo! ^^

Like I said, I'm glad I could make all the bigots feel better about themselves!

And Roy, seriously?!? People did substitute gays for this and you didn't say a damn word against them for fear of hurting their bigoted feelings :screwy:

And btw, it wasn't done on other sites, making fun of fat con goers happens here all the time! I posted the link of a thread with nothing but fat cosplays and everyone laughing their asses off at them. Not a single person said a single word. Then again, those guys didn't butthurt Logan by pointing out hat hating gays is bigotry (thumbs u

Please, take s step off your ridiculous pedastels. You've been laughing at these pics for years and not a single one of you have said a word so it's a little late to start now. Be as fat as a house for all I care. There were hundreds of people twice as fat as her and I could have cared less. There was a woman they had to open the double door so she could fit thru the doors. That's fine. Once she puts on a g string to go out in public, that's a different story!

If You ever see me strolling thru the mall in a speedo or thong, feel free to post a pic laughing your off (thumbs u

:gossip: You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

You are right, though, it was a great opportunity for anyone who felt the sting of being called a bigot, to turn around and take a swipe at Jason.

I wasn't called a bigot during any of those threads (shrug)

Guys lets just put this all behind us and get on with this thread. Jason was just trying to have a little fun because he thought it would be ok for everybody to have a little chuckle at the photo from seeing the other thread, and thats all. Its true that people are judged for how they look in public , and that can cause them to have low self esteem and problems in there life,but the girl in the photo seems to have tons of it for having the courage to wear something as different as that in public, and a small comment from Jason wouldn't change that. Also i'm sure that if her father,husband,wife, or herself was a member of this board and talked to Jason he would apologies in an instant, cause again it was just meant to be a small chuckle nothing more. Plus we all know that Jason would defend his opinion and just continue to argue his point just like the flip coin of this argument would do theirs and that wouldn't get anything resolved, so how about we just call it a draw and get back to what this thread is about comics, right guys. (thumbs u

I wasn't called a bigot during any of those threads (shrug)

Neither was I, and I wasn't taking a swipe at Jason either.

Although Jason may have missed it, I have in the past commented on comments that I felt were in poor taste towards women.

Having been surrounded by more women than men my entire life (6 sisters, 3 daughter, en ex and Louise) I just have a soft spot for these sorts of comments.

My point was not to derail the thread, call Jason out (or a bigot) or create a controversy. It was simply to raise a little awareness towards the way people talk about other people.

i'm on my way...my con report will be coming later.

I think you'll like it Mark. I know you are more into raw books and a little lower grades than i usually go for so from what i saw they definitely had some nice books you'd like (thumbs u

Jason, since we live close to each other I've tried to be nice and look the other way with some of your posts...but recently I have to say you are annoying. Between your thread on look my Ms. Marvel's backside to stuff in this thread...it's struck a nerve...and I can't be the only one.

First, you are mistaken that I am "into raw books"....90% of my collection is slabbed. I barely see how that is being "into raw books". And, thanks for pointing out that I prefer lower grades than you. You really think you are the BSD and must prove it to all of us with your "LOOK AT ME" threads. Oh, look at my pedigree thread... like I have interest in seeing what pedigree you bought each week. meh

And Jason, we all joke around here about things but your posts are pretty out of line with respect to others and how they look.

It's one thing to post a picture of a girl that most would perceive as being over weight and just let the picture speak for itself....it's entirely different to actually post their picture and say derogatory things about them.

How about you look in the mirror? I've met you. You are not perfect...far from it.

And, I have to say that regardless of the details from that ASM 1 thread from Symbiotic....your comment about his father was disgusting and out of line.

You may think your comics are perfect....but you as a person are far from it.

Mehmet claims that folks who are overweight can lose weight.

He says it's healthier.

Can you believe that ? lol

For some people it's not just a matter of eating less chips, ice cream and cookies. Their metabolism is slower, or their stomachs are physically larger or for whatever other genetic reason they gain weight in spite of trying to keep it off.

Some women out there literally starve themselves to look reasonably thin. Can you imagine spending your entire life hungry and never eating what you want? It's quite horrific when you think about it, all because men have this expectation for women to be thin.

Jason is not down with junk in the trunk. He refuses to go the yard if milkshakes are present.

Some people don't know what they're missing.

lol

i'm on my way...my con report will be coming later.

I think you'll like it Mark. I know you are more into raw books and a little lower grades than i usually go for so from what i saw they definitely had some nice books you'd like (thumbs u

Jason, since we live close to each other I've tried to be nice and look the other way with some of your posts...but recently I have to say you are freakin annoying. Between your thread on look my Ms. Marvel's backside to stuff in this thread...it's struck a nerve...and I can't be the only one.

First, you are mistaken that I am "into raw books"....90% of my collection is slabbed. I barely see how that is being "into raw books". And, thanks for pointing out that I prefer lower grades than you. You really think you are the BSD and must prove it to all of us with your "LOOK AT ME" threads. Oh, look at my pedigree thread... like I have interest in seeing what pedigree you bought each week. meh

And Jason, we all joke around here about things but your posts are pretty out of line with respect to others and how they look.

It's one thing to post a picture of a girl that most would perceive as being over weight and just let the picture speak for itself....it's entirely different to actually post their picture and say derogatory things about them.

How about you look in the mirror? I've met you. You are not perfect...far from it.

And, I have to say that regardless of the details from that ASM 1 thread from Symbiotic....your comment about his father was disgusting and out of line.

You may think your comics are perfect....but you as a person are far from it.

Wow thats some heavy stuff...

Dude, what are you talking about?!?

I wasn't trying to insult you at all! I only meant you buy more raw books than me which isn't saying much since I don't really by raw books at all so any is "more into" raws than I am. I pretty much will not buy ANY raw book at this point, you do. That's all I meant.

As far as lower grades, if you wanna take that as an insult, be my guest it wasn't meant that way. You aren't a HG snob like me. It wasn't meant as an insult whatsoever but if you're going to take it that way, sorry it wasn't meant that way.

Whatever, I don't know what the hell you're talking about??? What "disgusting" comment did I make about symbiotics father??? All I said was I found it odd that one day he said he wanted it to come back 8.0+ and the next day he wanted it to read to his dying father. I said multiple times if his father really died, he has my deepest sympathies but after all the "issues" I that thread I have a hard time believing anything he says.

Btw, I hardly think I'm a BSD around here (thumbs u

I spend less in a year than the true BSD'S spend on single books. I've said a million and one times that I'm bummed since Doug's Pedigree Avengers are way out of my league and I'll be lucky if I can even land 1 or 2 of them. Yeah, that's a real BSD! If my Pedigree thread bothers you so much, don't read it. Other people like it, if you don't don't click it. If my posts offend you so much, there's an ignore button. You're WAAAAAAAY off base but whatever, my life will go on just fine without you buddy!

You're annoyed that I posted a thread that a statue has a nice butt?!? :roflmao: