• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dark Knight Rises Reviews

1,012 posts in this topic

Just came back from seeing it. Quite a powerful movie, needs to be thought

about. Not one of those popcorn fluffies.

Did not like the absolute final scene. Movie deserves a better one.

spoilers

major spoilers

serious, major spoilers

don't say i didn't warn you about spoilers

don't read this if you haven't seen it yet

okay, 'nuff warnings:

like most ppl i'm glad this 3rd flick almost flawlessly rights a few of the wrongs that were present in the previous 2 flicks: less hammy dialogue b/w non-essential characters or random cops, fight scenes you can actually see and FEEL clearly blow for blow (every HIT by Bane was bone crunching), callbacks to Bruce's underlying neverending pain and managing to remind us the simple tragedy of it all, the ability to illicit tears on more than one occasion & inject some heart back within the wanton carnage, the inclusion of all the main players that have appeared throughout all 3 flicks (Scarecrow being the main constant).

what to say bout Hathaway, she's gonna shut up a lot of doubters with her performance. the film never overindulged in a Catwoman fetish which was nice, she got just the right amount of screentime, and in an EPIC move, saves Batman's life from his most vicious foe to date. yes it woulda been nice to see Bats defeat Bane for good, but as someone pointed out, he was never going to end his life (even if he did give him "permission to die"). i was THOROUGHLY satisfied with the two main Bats vs Bane fist fights we got. they were BRUTAL. it was actually quite disturbing seeing such a sturdy resourceful figure being reduced to someone else's b**ch like that. even Bane's mercs were horrified at how viciously he beat him down.

not sure how much this "no gun" thing was properly adhered to, considering that Bats/Bruce fires missiles and explosive projectiles all the damn time. there have had to be SOME casualties from all those explosions he directly caused. and if he's shooting from guns mounted on his flying Bat (if u thought the Tumbler would never be outdone, holy ), doesn't that still count? but i guess the main point is that even when he shoots, he will never shoot to kill.

Talia was an essential inclusion in order to bring everything full circle and focus in on one major plot point from Batman Begins: the "sacking" of Gotham City. the cameo by Liam Neeson as Ra's was great, impactful and further solidified the ties b/w all 3 films. it served to unify everything and show just how bad it CAN get when no one is responsible for their actions and when a society galvanises itself based on a massive lie. however those just end up being personal demons, Bane & his mercs and The League Of Shadows always had a higher moral ground to stand on if u really think about it. Gotham was a cesspool, even during the so-called 'peace time'. "Gotham should be allowed to die" was the mantra in the 1st film, and it was justified by showing that the city was corruptable on every concievable level.

BANE. a lot of people are gonna be sticking to their TDK guns and will not allow themselves to even think the THOUGHT that Tom Hardy nailed this role, and presented a villain that (in some ppls eyes, possibly mine lol) topped Heath's Joker. i mean, Joker's omnipresence was one thing, but Bane was pure BLUNT FORCE TRAUMA. the dude blew Gotham half to hell and was ready to absolutely annihilate it shortly after. even with Joker's anarchist leanings, even HE wouldn't like to see the entire city nuked. Gotham is his playground, Batman's his 'other', his 'opposite'. complete and utter destruction was never on the cards for him (pun intended). but Bane is..just...one of the toughest sunuvaperson_without_enough_empathyes ever (with awesome taste in coats). the Bane i got in TDKR was so much MORE. i mean even in the comics he was a cool calculating kinda dude, but the film gave me a reason to actually care about him and how tough HIS life was, even if it was momentary (his tears & the look in his eyes when Talia is revealed and knifes Bruce, & we briefly see his backstory (and the one and only time Tom Hardy's face is actually seen). actually thats worth some props right there, fact that Hardy was able to convey everything Bane was about and not need more than his fists and his eyeballs to do so. SO, fanboys will cry and be upset at folks even SUGGESTING this but...Bane could might be the greatest villain portrayed in the Nolan Batverse. that's on his character alone. i suppose the REAL debate is gonna come down to Heath vs Hardy. THATS too tough to call.

Michael Caine. everyone's saying Oscor noms but i might not go that far with it. he was an integral piece and brought some much needed emotional weight to things, but he was dangerously close to repeating that somewhat iffy "bandit in Burma" story from TDK, which always felt a little...i dunno, shoved in there. didn't feel essential, and a was a bit awkward. of course in TDK it was there to make a very quick clear comparison to what the Joker was all about at his core. but luckily here the scenario of the cafe and his whimsy worked for me. and it drove home the point that Alfred is as close to a father that Bruce has and will EVER have, and he emotes like one. perhaps it's that love that won Bruce over in the end, rigging the autopilot and escaping his life. BOTH of them.

i know once the reviews die down the knives will come out, as they always do, and the film will be more thoroughly scrutinised and picked apart. however as the 3rd in a trilogy, it ranks as one of the better conclusions to a film series in recent memory. and one of THE greatest Batflicks ever put to screen. the sheer scale of everything was jaw-dropping to say the least. again i say, this film DESERVES to be seen and heard in the IMAX format. all too often for as long as i can remember, the regular theatre experience has been lacking something. and that's VOLUME. regular theatres stopped jacking the sound up sometime in the late 90s. i used to remember going to movies and being just INUNDATED with sound. the speakers are there so might as well USE them. but these days, not so much. i feel like it's always at half the volume it should be. with IMAX tho, no such qualms. i was audiovisially ASSAULTED and it felt awesome.

and just to get this outta the way cos it's gonna be inevitable (even if it is pointless), but right now TDKR >>> Avengers.

I may not agree with the entire post, but that's a hell of a review. Very fair. I thought it was a phenomenal film, a little disjointed, but very strong.

Overall, Anne Hathaway was brilliant. I also thought this was Bale's best performance. And yes, Bane beating up Batman was like watching your dad get the beat out of him. Very hard to watch, purely emotional and set up the rest of the movie perfectly.

Definitely seeing it again before Monday.

I just got back from seeing the Dark Knight Rises, and here is my SPOILER review:

To start with a simple summing up...the "Dark Knight Rises" is as close to a perfect comic book inspired film as there ever could be. While there were some flaws, I find them few and minor enough that I'd give the movie a 5 out of 5.

Now for the details. It is not a simple movie (thank goodness). There are plot twists and turns that we never see out of any other comic book movies. I found the last film, "The Dark Knight" to be a very thought provoking movie and believe the same to be true with the "Dark Knight Rises". There is philosophy, terrorism, class-ism that really makes the movie more interesting and entertaining than most of the simple, one-dimensional comic book movies that are released.

All of the characters were excellent. I do not think that there was a singular actor/actress that had the groundbreaking performance that Heath Ledger had as the Joker, but overall the cast was just as good (or better) than the previous 2 films. While I have greatly enjoyed Bale as Batman through the previous two films, I think this third movie was the BEST of his performances.

Michael Caine was fantastic. He almost made the movie a tear-jerker--the chemistry between him and Christian Bale is probably the high-point of the movie as far as acting is concerned.

Anne Hathaway. WOW. Her looks are just off the charts. I think she played a very good Catwoman too. Nothing to go crazy for, but she fit the role very well.

As far as the story goes--I thought it was great. A large-scale, terrorism based story that has some similarities to the "Dark Knight" but is somewhat more straightforward. In the Dark Knight, the terrorism was more of a psychotic mental game. In the Dark Knight Rises, the terrorism was more of a idealistic insanity (similar to Batman Begins). Both types work wonderfully. You'll get tons of character background, with most of it relating back to Batman Begins.

The soundtrack for the movie was also great in most areas. There were times when it sounded a bit generic, but there were also times when the soundtrack was a big part in carrying the intensity of the scene. I thought it was great.

A few minor things I noticed that bothered me were the generic punching sound effects and the traditional knock everybody unconscious routine. A story aspect that I thought should have been used was that, it should have been Alfred that returned to finish Bane off...not Catwoman.

The Dark Knight Rises is now #2 in my comic book movie top 5.

1) The Dark Knight

2) The Dark Knight Rises

3) Iron Man

4) X2

5) Iron Man 2

See this movie! It is GREAT.

So, I was a part of the midnight crew too - that was a long movie and I am still processing it. It was definitely a complex story and not just a hero thriller. I'm going to have to see it again before I can judge where it falls among the other two. One thing I can say for sure is IMAX was worth it for the sound alone!

I'm still not sure how I feel about Bane being a LoS member

I just got back from seeing the Dark Knight Rises, and here is my SPOILER review:

To start with a simple summing up...the "Dark Knight Rises" is as close to a perfect comic book inspired film as there ever could be. While there were some flaws, I find them few and minor enough that I'd give the movie a 5 out of 5.

Now for the details. It is not a simple movie (thank goodness). There are plot twists and turns that we never see out of any other comic book movies. I found the last film, "The Dark Knight" to be a very thought provoking movie and believe the same to be true with the "Dark Knight Rises". There is philosophy, terrorism, class-ism that really makes the movie more interesting and entertaining than most of the simple, one-dimensional comic book movies that are released.

All of the characters were excellent. I do not think that there was a singular actor/actress that had the groundbreaking performance that Heath Ledger had as the Joker, but overall the cast was just as good (or better) than the previous 2 films. While I have greatly enjoyed Bale as Batman through the previous two films, I think this third movie was the BEST of his performances.

Michael Caine was fantastic. He almost made the movie a tear-jerker--the chemistry between him and Christian Bale is probably the high-point of the movie as far as acting is concerned.

Anne Hathaway. WOW. Her looks are just off the charts. I think she played a very good Catwoman too. Nothing to go crazy for, but she fit the role very well.

As far as the story goes--I thought it was great. A large-scale, terrorism based story that has some similarities to the "Dark Knight" but is somewhat more straightforward. In the Dark Knight, the terrorism was more of a psychotic mental game. In the Dark Knight Rises, the terrorism was more of a idealistic insanity (similar to Batman Begins). Both types work wonderfully. You'll get tons of character background, with most of it relating back to Batman Begins.

The soundtrack for the movie was also great in most areas. There were times when it sounded a bit generic, but there were also times when the soundtrack was a big part in carrying the intensity of the scene. I thought it was great.

A few minor things I noticed that bothered me were the generic punching sound effects and the traditional knock everybody unconscious routine. A story aspect that I thought should have been used was that, it should have been Alfred that returned to finish Bane off...not Catwoman.

1) The Dark Knight

2) The Dark Knight Rises

3) Iron Man

4) X2

5) Iron Man 2

and i'm supposed to take that advice from a man that thinks iron man 2 is better than the avengers??????

1) The Dark Knight

2) The Dark Knight Rises

3) Iron Man

4) X2

5) Iron Man 2

and i'm supposed to take that advice from a man that thinks iron man 2 is better than the avengers??????

I was thinking the same thing, IM 2 was a piece of garbage but after seeing this movie I do feel that The Dark Knight is better than Dark Knight Rises.

This is the kind of movie where you have to see it for yourself and make your own decision on how you feel, very ambitious and gonna be people on both sides I imagine.

I am looking forward to seeing it, but man - it's halfway through the summer and I'm already sick of the ever-increasing hype for each movie that comes out.

According to fanboys and pundits:

AVENGERS IS TEH AWESOME OMG 11!WTFBBQ

Then:

PROMOTEHOUSEUS IS SOOOOOOOO AMAZING ITS THE GREATEST THINKING MOVIE EVAR. WAY BETTER THAN AVENGERS!!!

Then:

AMAZING SPIDERMAN MAKES RAIMI LOOK LIKE DAY OLD EGGS ON TOAST YEAH SUCK IT YOU PRIMITIVE SCREWHEADS - WAY BETTER THAN PROMOTEHSUSY!!!

Now:

OMG AFTER I SAW BATMAN I PUNCHED MY GRANDMA IN THE FACE TOTALLY BANE STYLE YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I'M BATMAN - SOOO MUCH BETTER THAN AMAZING EYEBROWS!

Ugh. Each movie is getting progressively lamer with each gushing review. I still believe Batman will be awesome, but I really can't listen to anymore platitudes about Summer blockbusters.

Amen and raise you a Hallelujah.

This is the kind of movie where you have to see it for yourself and make your own decision on how you feel, very ambitious and gonna be people on both sides I imagine.

with gyllenhaal out, and hathaway and cotillard in, it's got a pretty good head start on dk in my estimation.

with gyllenhaal out, and hathaway and cotillard in, it's got a pretty good head start on dk in my estimation.

oh no doubt... the ladies a lot easier to look at then poor Maggie. I will say though it has a very different feel then DK and if you go in expecting something similar you'll probably be pretty surprised.

I just got back from a 10am screening. There were not as many seats filled as I thought there would be only 1/4 of capacity.

Since this is full of spoilers I will not pull any punches. Personally for me this was a very very long move 2hrs and 45 minutes with 20 minutes of trailers. For a while I thought I had walked in on Inception ( there were a lot of actors from Nolan's most recent hit ). I loved the begining ( reminded me of a James Bond Tribute to it's openning scenes. It was spectacular for sure) as for Bane I'm glad they enhanced his voice but it sounded to much like Auric Goldfinger (even some of the lines) that I had to put that movie out of my mind and concentrate on this one.

Ann Hathaway's Catwoman was right on target (not enough time in her catsuit for me).

Bale was the same Batman as the other movies, I really wish they had gotten him in sooner and the breaking of Batman's back right out of the comics was stunning for sure.

I think that regular movie goers are going to have a very hard time with this and I don't see a lot of "re goers" which will cut into it's final $$$$.

The story line did tie up a lot of loose ends and the final battle was ok (still not sure if Bane was alive or dead after Catwoman shot him)

I really did not like the way they wrapped up the ending, even though it was lef open for another movie with you know who taking on the Batman or you know who's name.

Bottom line much better then all the Spider-Man movies, on par with Iron Man 1, not in the same league as the Avengers (which tied in to all the current and past Marvel Projects) I'll give it 3 stars and a must see if you are a fan of the Batman.

It was def too long, but that wasn't issue. Bane's voice was almost comical at times. Still a great movie, but I agree it is the weakest of the 3.

I felt like anyone could have played Catwoman with the way it was written.

I have been counting down the days to see this movie as long as they announced it was coming out lol. I still cant believe i havent seen it yet. Got my ticket for tomorrow morning, cant wait. Funny thing is, Im going to my balchelor party in about a hour or so with 25 crazy people, and all I can think about is that I really really want to just go see this now lol

I am well aware that I am in the minority with regard to IM 2. I did like Avengers too. I just didnt like the first half of Avengers...the second half was spectacular though.

I agree with this 100% The DKNR is a whole different beast...but I would have to say in whole the DKNR is a much better movie than The Avengers on story and chartacterization! You guys will not be dissapointed! I loved the ending also, this could could go so many ways if/when DC decides to do another :)