• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Knight Massacre. Multiple people killed in DKR Showing!!!

553 posts in this topic

This is complete BS. I'm so frickin' upset right now. I wake up this morning and see this on the news, and it happened at a theater 10 minutes away. This infuriates me.

This was definitely preplanned. What drives people to do something so evil? You hate your life so much that you have to not only go kill random, innocent people, but you're deranged enough that you can plan it and put it into effect? Sick. Absolutely disgusting.

Thank God your Okay,you were the first person I thought of and hoped you didn't see the movie.This is unbelievable,how can one even see this coming?

Thanks man. Luckily for me and my comic friends, we were out last night doing our monthly "Drink and Draw" get together.

I don't know why, but this news has me really shaken this morning. The combination of it being so close to home, the fact that it involves people who love movies and possibly comics, the fact that it's so horrific...just a really rough day so far.

But one thing I've already started doing is making it a day for random acts of kindness. To counter some of the pain and suffering, I'm going to do little things throughout the day to bring a bit of happiness to those around me. I hope others will do the same. :foryou:

Glad you're okay as well.

Is this the theatre that you typically go to?

Never been there, actually. I hope I didn't come across as suggesting that I was "this close" to going last night or anything like that. But if I remember right, the theater is a new one built a year ago to replace an old theater and run down mall.

No, not at all. I didn't think that you almost went to the show last night or anything.

I was just commenting on your post that said it's close to your place. I was wondering if that's the one you normally go to. If it were, you'd probably be even more shaken up.

This is just way effed up! :censored:

And about 20 minutes from Littleton/Columbine...for the locals this must be especially chilling...

Report is the shooter is from San Diego...moved to Aurora about a year ago...

This is complete BS. I'm so frickin' upset right now. I wake up this morning and see this on the news, and it happened at a theater 10 minutes away. This infuriates me.

This was definitely preplanned. What drives people to do something so evil? You hate your life so much that you have to not only go kill random, innocent people, but you're deranged enough that you can plan it and put it into effect? Sick. Absolutely disgusting.

Thank God your Okay,you were the first person I thought of and hoped you didn't see the movie.This is unbelievable,how can one even see this coming?

Thanks man. Luckily for me and my comic friends, we were out last night doing our monthly "Drink and Draw" get together.

I don't know why, but this news has me really shaken this morning. The combination of it being so close to home, the fact that it involves people who love movies and possibly comics, the fact that it's so horrific...just a really rough day so far.

But one thing I've already started doing is making it a day for random acts of kindness. To counter some of the pain and suffering, I'm going to do little things throughout the day to bring a bit of happiness to those around me. I hope others will do the same. :foryou:

Glad you're okay as well.

Is this the theatre that you typically go to?

Never been there, actually. I hope I didn't come across as suggesting that I was "this close" to going last night or anything like that. But if I remember right, the theater is a new one built a year ago to replace an old theater and run down mall.

No, not at all. I didn't think that you almost went to the show last night or anything.

I was just commenting on your post that said it's close to your place. I was wondering if that's the one you normally go to. If it were, you'd probably be even more shaken up.

Agreed. It's weird being able to actually picture the scene because you've driven by there and know the location.

I know this won't happen again today or this weekend, at least, we can hope. But I won't be seeing Batman this weekend. I don't think I could sit there and enjoy it. I'd be thinking about last night, or wondering what scene he burst in on, or looking at the exits...

You cannot buy automatic weapons period, if you are a citizen.

That's not true, Tim. There are a few states where you can purchase full auto or selective fire weapons legally. It's not an easy process (a lot of paper work with the ATF and the sear is registered with them), but it's done all the time

You are right it's not that easy of a process, at all. To expand on what you are saying.

There's a ban on all automatic weapons produced after 1986. The only people allowed to have a full auto weapon produced after 1986 are law enforcement officers and Class III Federal Firearms Licensed dealers.

This ban is the reason that the cost, in states that allow them at all, is well in excess of $10,000 for any functioning full auto weapon that can be owned by a private citizen.

In addition to the cost, applications must be made to the Federal Government and the head local law enforcement (local police chief, etc.) and BOTH must approve the application for the individual. For the local chief or sheriff this can take the form of an extensive interview process for both you and your friends, family and neighbors. They can take whatever steps they deem reasonable to fully investigate the person making the request, and in some jurisdictions that turns out the be tantamount to a denial.

Then there are the checks on background, criminal history, etc, that must all be passed.

If you can get by all those restrictions and have the several thousands of dollars to pay for the process and the weapon, then you can expect to wait anywhere from 90-180 days to get all the way through it, perhaps longer if the local police decide that they want to be extra diligent.

This has to be done with every gun the person wants to buy.

It's not the person getting approved and then he can buy as many as he wants, it's done for each weapon that the person wants to purchase.

So it's not something a young man can do on a whim. It's not a fast or inexpensive process by any means, and the process to get a post-86 full auto weapon is even MORE stringent.

The laws aren't the problems, it's enforcement of what's already there, and I am willing to bet that (unless it was stolen or illegally modified) that the rifle used here is a regular semi auto rifle, with one squeeze/one bullet.

And about 20 minutes from Littleton/Columbine...for the locals this must be especially chilling...

I know the comparisons to Columbine are inevitable, but I hope this doesn't make people suggest that Aurora is the center of evil. It's more of a coincidence than anything else. Sure, the area is pretty tough and is known as one of the "bad" places to live in Denver, and now we've got two massacres happening within the same area, but a few bad people don't make the entire city evil. (Not saying that's what you were insinuating or anything, but the comparisons will come if they haven't already, and the city will begin to feel the pressure of having such big events take place nearby.)

Second, all Brian Ross does is say that "there is a Jim Homes in Aurora who is on the Colorado Tea Party site." He then IMMEDIATELY points out that this MIGHT NOT be the suspect. George Stephanopoulos then says, "we'll look at that" and indicates it is an open-ended question and not anything conclusive.

In other words, these two GOOD MORNING AMERICA commentators have done nothing actually irresponsible here, other than to mention a possible suspect and then to clarify that it might not be him.

I was flipping between Fox and MSNBC for details and had a personal reaction. The panel on MSNBC, conversationally, made it painfully obvious where they were going with it. Was the shooter white? Was he military or ex-military? Tea party?...

I couldn't flip away fast enough and personally find it disgusting. If a detail fits their mindlock then it gets amplified ad nauseaum, if not it will go under-reported or not at all. Such BS.

It's a horrible, horrible event and facts are needed, not agendas. There'll be plenty of time for premeditated demonizing in the days ahead.

Thought and prayers to the fallen and their families.

I was flipping between Fox and MSNBC for details and had a personal reaction. The panel on MSNBC, conversationally, made it painfully obvious where they were going with it. Was the shooter white? Was he military or ex-military? Tea party?... I couldn't flip away fast enough and personally find it disgusting.

I am not a fan of that kind of mindset either, no matter which political side it comes from.

I will say that the questions you mention might have rational reasons for the asking. If the people asking were making assumptions or acting as though they wanted the answers to go a certain way, then that is bad.

Second, all Brian Ross does is say that "there is a Jim Homes in Aurora who is on the Colorado Tea Party site." He then IMMEDIATELY points out that this MIGHT NOT be the suspect. George Stephanopoulos then says, "we'll look at that" and indicates it is an open-ended question and not anything conclusive.

In other words, these two GOOD MORNING AMERICA commentators have done nothing actually irresponsible here, other than to mention a possible suspect and then to clarify that it might not be him.

I was flipping between Fox and MSNBC for details and had a personal reaction. The panel on MSNBC, conversationally, made it painfully obvious where they were going with it. Was the shooter white? Was he military or ex-military? Tea party?...

I couldn't flip away fast enough and personally find it disgusting. If a detail fits their mindlock then it gets amplified ad nauseaum, if not it will go under-reported or not at all. Such BS.

It's a horrible, horrible event and facts are needed, not agendas. There'll be plenty of time for premeditated demonizing in the days ahead.

Thought and prayers to the fallen and their families.

Most TV news coverage is a Rorschach test. You're going to see what you want in it. I just can't believe I'm disappointed people are getting political in this thread.

You cannot buy automatic weapons period, if you are a citizen.

That's simply not true. Any citizen who fills out the necessary forms, passes the checks, pays the $200 tax, and can afford the cost of a fully automatic weapon can buy one. It just has to have been manufactured and registered with the ATF prior to May 19, 1986. Of course, that makes the supply finite which makes most full-auto guns prohibitively expense for the average nutcase. I know several "regular" people who legally own fully automatic weapons.

Yeah, a class 3 license is no big deal.

I don't want to confuse Class III FFL dealers with someone buying a class III NFA or pre-86 auto weapon. They are different processes.

He's not talking about a class III license. He's talking about the forms to own a class III NFA firearm. Owning a class III weapon is a process that must be repeated for each weapon. What he's talking about is not a license that a private person carries and allows them to buy over and over again.

A Class III FFL is an expensive, restrictive process that requires expensive annual renewal and allows for the sale and transfer of weapons. It's a dealer's license that allows for limited samples to be held for demo, but only with written request from the law enforcement agency requesting the demo. If you let your Class III FFL lapse you are not allowed to keep, hold, or store those weapons anymore.

The sooner we recognize the problem as a mental health issue, the better. The kid's mother knew they had arrested the right person. That tells me alot. There was no, "not my Johnny, you have the wrong guy".

I know the comparisons to Columbine are inevitable, but I hope this doesn't make people suggest that Aurora is the center of evil. It's more of a coincidence than anything else. Sure, the area is pretty tough and is known as one of the "bad" places to live in Denver, and now we've got two massacres happening within the same area, but a few bad people don't make the entire city evil. (Not saying that's what you were insinuating or anything, but the comparisons will come if they haven't already, and the city will begin to feel the pressure of having such big events take place nearby.)

Wasn't implying that at all... (thumbs u I've got a really good friend who lives in Littleton and I did mention the shooter moved from San Diego...not sure if he is a SD/CA native but that will come out soon enough...bottom-line...doesn't matter where you're from to end up whereever this guy's head ended up...

It's because of :censored:ers like this that we'll soon have TSA pat downs at our cinemas.

I'm pretty sure this coward just wanted media attention, unless he has some prior history of mental illness (we'll have to find out). No other reason to do this...because he wants to be like Bane? Srsly? Bane is no coward with a gun, he uses intellect and brute strength.

Thoughts and prayers go out to those affected families.

But one thing is for certain, I'm still gonna see this and go about my daily life. No disrespect to the affected families, but I refuse to change anything because of one bad apple, you know? One of his intentions could be to make people NOT see this movie as a way of 'sticking it to the man' :eyeroll:

Jerome

Am glad to hear that you're okay. Praying for the family of the victims of this atrocity, at the same time awaiting word about family members who live in Aurora (my cousin, wife, and young niece)...

Let's drop the politics and show a little respect for the real topic of this thread please.

+1...Thanks, Chuck.

The media is on a whole irresponsible and lacks integrity as they often seek any avenue or label possible to draw the public's attention or to push their own agenda. And we, as the general public, generally fall for it because we've been conditioned and simply can't turn away.

This is going back aways, but I was speaking to a reporter about a 10-year old boy who was kidnapped at knife point from his front yard. She actually told me that the story was a good one to cover and that circulation of the newspaper would increase as a result. I was incredulous. The boy was later found naked, bound, sexually abused, and murdered (victim of a serial killer), his body being dumped in a canyon.

A media spokesperson once explained to me that the public feels a sense of entitlement towards the news, and that we've lost sight of the fact that the media is "selling" a product just like any other business. ABC wants higher ratings than NBC who wants higher ratings than CNN, etc., and they'll scramble to do whatever it takes to grab their share. Ratings translate into dollars.

Personally, I find the mass media in this country to be repulsive.

Thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families during this most difficult time.

Just an awful story.

This story isn't about politics or gun control. That is all reactionary. There are some seriously screwed up people running around.

Just an awful story.

This story isn't about politics or gun control. That is all reactionary. There are some seriously screwed up people running around.

+1,111