• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have You Seen the Fantastic Four #1 That Was Stolen From Me?

220 posts in this topic

I just realized this is the same guy who started the "Avoiding the Paypal $20,000 tax limit" thread. lol

Do you really have to pay taxes on stolen money? :ohnoez:

I just realized this is the same guy who started the "Avoiding the Paypal $20,000 tax limit" thread. lol

I think the 5th amendment trumps the 16th amendment...ya know....since it came first.

I think the 5th amendment trumps the 16th amendment...ya know....since it came first.

Actually you do. That's how they catch a lot of criminals.

For example, if you're a drug kingpin, you might literally never touch a drug or meet a drug dealer. You might be able to threaten and kill any witnesses who would ever testify against you. But if millions of dollars are entering your bank account annually and its not reported and can't be traced, they'll be happy to catch you on tax evasion for unreported income. They don't have to prove any drug related activities or that the money was gotten illegally, just that you made unreported income and lied about it on your tax returns.

If you report your 'other income', and you pay your taxes, the IRS typically leaves you alone. They typically don't ask the specifics except in the case of an audit.

Or in the example of a stolen comic, purely hypothetical.

Lets say someone has a high grade FF#1 slabbed 9.6. Then someone steals the book, deslabs it, presses and cleaned and reslabs it to 9.8 and sells it for $50,000 cash (in hand).

The original owner comes across the book a few years later at a show, recognizes it and they trace it back to the original thief. The thief claims the book was his and he's had it since the 1960's.

In court, it might be VERY difficult to prove who was the original owner of the book, to prove it was the exact same book. Complete he said she said.

SO the prosecutor might want to turn the case over to the IRS, where we've got a situation where the thief was paid $50,000 in cash and never reported that income for state and federal tax purposes. You've got a solid case for intentional tax evasion as well as penalties (late fees and interest) to be assessed. That $50,000 is all profit and all taxable (except maybe the pressing and slabbing fee, and the original 12cents plus tax for the comic). They don't always prosecute hard for these, but typically they do when they're related to other unproveable crimes.

Actually you do. That's how they catch a lot of criminals.

For example, if you're a drug kingpin, you might literally never touch a drug or meet a drug dealer. You might be able to threaten and kill any witnesses who would ever testify against you. But if millions of dollars are entering your bank account annually and its not reported and can't be traced, they'll be happy to catch you on tax evasion for unreported income. They don't have to prove any drug related activities or that the money was gotten illegally, just that you made unreported income and lied about it on your tax returns.

If you report your 'other income', and you pay your taxes, the IRS typically leaves you alone. They typically don't ask the specifics except in the case of an audit.

Next you're gonna tell me that's how they got Capone!

38qub.jpg

There must be a board member who works for the IRS.I think maybe Trey McDaniel is due for an audit. lol

hm How ironic!

$30k into a 1991 Chevy truck :facepalm:

Isn't it funny how The_SilverAge disappeared as soon as he was accused of dishonestly ? You'd thing he would do all he could to defend his reputation if he had a leg to stand on

It's clear his spine has buckled under the mountain of evidence. That's the problem with thieves, aside from their willingness to steal; they usually trip on their own lame stories.

Isn't it funny how The_SilverAge disappeared as soon as he was accused of dishonestly ? You'd thing he would do all he could to defend his reputation if he had a leg to stand on

It's clear his spine has buckled under the mountain of evidence. That's the problem with thieves, aside from their willingness to steal; they usually trip on their own lame stories.

True, but it's pretty awesome when they put up a fight for a few hours before they give up on it.

True, but it's pretty awesome when they put up a fight for a few hours before they give up on it.

Boobs, the lot of them.

I like how 10% of the people in the HOS poll still want more discussion. lol

I'll venture a guess that he intended to start a sales thread and that's why he reappeared to try to square things. So much for that plan! :D

I'll venture a guess that he intended to start a sales thread and that's why he reappeared to try to square things. So much for that plan! :D

That'd make sense. It is pretty funny that he posted like once or twice in his defense and then just got slammed back down though. It wasn't much of a fight.

Boobs, the lot of them.

My boobs are offended by this..mods notified..

*giggles*

That'd make sense. It is pretty funny that he posted like once or twice in his defense and then just got slammed back down though. It wasn't much of a fight.

I thought it was cute he started that thread about getting out of paying taxes on paypal sales