• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,949 posts in this topic

just looked and they are still hiring graders. im guessing they cant find graders in sarasota. who would pick up and move to sarasota for probably not a lot of money, and from what i read in an update from cgc, work 6 days a week? that sounds spooning awful

just open another location, in or near a city people would want to live dammit

Well, I wouldn't move to Sarasota for less money than I make now but then I'm 42, have 4 kids and a career. Keep in mind that there are lots of people looking for work out there.

The benefits sometimes outweigh just the pay check alone.

Warm climate.

You get to travel for work.

Decent work atmosphere (good people).

Sometimes it's not just about the money.

just looked and they are still hiring graders. im guessing they cant find graders in sarasota. who would pick up and move to sarasota for probably not a lot of money, and from what i read in an update from cgc, work 6 days a week? that sounds spooning awful

Well, I wouldn't move to Sarasota for less money than I make now but then I'm 42, have 4 kids and a career. Keep in mind that there are lots of people looking for work out there.

Warm climate.

thats true about needing work. but it also comes down to how much they pay. if you were single, you wouldn't move for a job that pays as much as a full time Walmart employee. and the climate is awful. i live in georgia and the weather here is awful. absolutely awful. you know we didn't get a winter last year? it was summer for a whole year. humid, awful, summer. and we aren't as far south as sarasota. its worse there.

just called and they are behind on fast tracks as well

Wait, what? That better not be true. If you are asking for an extra fee to bring the service speed up to about what it should be already and now are falling behind on that then you are getting into some serious business ethics issues.

It's all relative...they still aren't promising WHEN...just that it's done FASTER relative to the other tiers.

Plus it is not unethical to fall behind. It may end up being bad business, but not unethical.

I'm not saying it's unethical to fall behind. I'm saying it's unethical to charge a fee for faster (relative) turnaround times, fall behind and keep accepting the fee.

I'd have to agree with that. Everyone - even companies - are entitled to make mistakes or miss a deadline. But, collecting an upcharge fee for a service they know that they can't fulfill is unethical.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to take a run at CGC with a chargeback on services promised but not delivered. I mean, timeframes are right there on the website - customers can prove that they paid for a service they didn't get. That sounds like potential trouble.

is that possible though? if i pay with a credit card, could i do a charge back if books aren't done on the estimated timeframe? wouldn't they just argue it was estimated? this sounds intriguing to me

I don't know for sure - I figure someone would have maybe tried it by now.

Their site says: "Please remember that the turnaround times are estimates only and CGC does not guarantee them!"

The term "estimate" means: to form an approximate judgment regarding the worth, amount, size, weight, etc., of The key word here being approximate. If your service deals in terms of days and weeks, then it would be fair to say that you - as a business - should be able to approximate the results of your added value service within +/- a week. Missing those estimates by a month or more begins to call into question the use of the word "estimate" at all in your service description. Therein lies the ability to take issue with your credit card company, even if it's not "guaranteed". The times are misleading on their website, and I'd be curious if you could prove that and win back your fast track money.

Estimating something that takes 5 days and you deliver it in 30 is not an "estimate" it's pretty much "you get it when you get it" and that is not something that should be charged extra for.

Warm climate.

thats true about needing work. but it also comes down to how much they pay. if you were single, you wouldn't move for a job that pays as much as a full time Walmart employee. and the climate is awful. i live in georgia and the weather here is awful. absolutely awful. you know we didn't get a winter last year? it was summer for a whole year. humid, awful, summer. and we aren't as far south as sarasota. its worse there.

We didn't have much of a winter either - had almost no snow up here which is the first time I remember that happening in 40 years.

It's personal taste, I think. I'd love to live in your climate. I love the heat and would be able to play soccer and basketball every day. :cloud9:

We didn't have much of a winter either - had almost no snow up here which is the first time I remember that happening in 40 years.

Snowed here yesterday. It goes from Summer to Winter here in ol' Montana. No fall.

Snowed here yesterday. It goes from Summer to Winter here in ol' Montana. No fall.

Yeah, they are looking at 6"+ in the upper midwest over the next day or two. Seems early for a storm like that, even there.

Warm climate.

It's personal taste, I think. I'd love to live in your climate. I love the heat and would be able to play soccer and basketball every day. :cloud9:

theres a difference between heat and just wanting to die because everyone is slimy. dry heat isn't a problem, shade and or fan. This horrible heat down here is something else. you need ac. i lived in california for 25 years my family only had fans. not until i moved here did i realize AC was a necessity. i understand people living in colder climates want the heat and people living in hotter climates want the cold, but this heat is something you cant escape and it sucks

just called and they are behind on fast tracks as well

Wait, what? That better not be true. If you are asking for an extra fee to bring the service speed up to about what it should be already and now are falling behind on that then you are getting into some serious business ethics issues.

It's all relative...they still aren't promising WHEN...just that it's done FASTER relative to the other tiers.

Ughhh I was wondering why my fast track hadn't been moved to scheduled yet. Makes sense.... :tonofbricks:

Thankfully the charge for graders notes, as well as last year's fee increase, have resulted in decreased TATs.

It was just a matter of time before Fast Track submissions fell behind. Eventually, once your regular service is so far behind as to not really exist at all, fast track is just a de facto price increase. That's all fine and good until everyone accepts the price increase and begins to submit through the FT tier in the same volume as the regular. Then, WHOOPS! You've still got the same volume that you can't handle normally.

If you're only solution is to try to decrease demand (submissions) via a price increase, that doesn't bode well for trying to increase your product supply (slabbed books) going forward.

theres a difference between heat and just wanting to die because everyone is slimy. dry heat isn't a problem, shade and or fan. This horrible heat down here is something else. you need ac. i lived in california for 25 years my family only had fans. not until i moved here did i realize AC was a necessity. i understand people living in colder climates want the heat and people living in hotter climates want the cold, but this heat is something you cant escape and it sucks

We had stifling 90-100 degree temps. all summer long. Didn't bother me a bit.

We had stifling 90-100 degree temps. all summer long. Didn't bother me a bit.

your humidity was? 90-100 is hot, but, add to that extreme humidity and your going to die.

Edited by zarduzi

I just called on my books which were submitted July 11th and they said that graders are on books from June 14th. :(

They've been stuck on books from June 14th for almost two weeks now.

At this rate, yours might be graded by July 10th of next year.

I think it takes everything they have just to keep fast track on time.

I called today and they said they were "deluged" a few weeks ago with modern submissions.