• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,949 posts in this topic

I have 3 different subs in the works that are all modern SS books and all of them I am paying extra to fast track them. I am usually a laid back person but if all 3 subs end up taking longer than the posted estimate TAT for the tier in question without a fast track I will have some fun words with the CGC CS rep that answers my phone call. I will be demanding a refund on the $10 per book fast track if this happens.

This is sadly becoming a pretty big joke over the last 2 years with these TATs. It is pretty pathetic to have to pay for fast track on everything so you don't have to wait 5+ months to get stuff back.

At this point maybe they should consider NOT accepting anymore subs until they can start moving things in the right direction.

I have 3 different subs in the works that are all modern SS books and all of them I am paying extra to fast track them. I am usually a laid back person but if all 3 subs end up taking longer than the posted estimate TAT for the tier in question without a fast track I will have some fun words with the CGC CS rep that answers my phone call. I will be demanding a refund on the $10 per book fast track if this happens.

This is sadly becoming a pretty big joke over the last 2 years with these TATs. It is pretty pathetic to have to pay for fast track on everything so you don't have to wait 5+ months to get stuff back.

At this point maybe they should consider NOT accepting anymore subs until they can start moving things in the right direction.

They won't give you a refund. If they stop taking submissions and get caught up, when they start accepting submissions again, it will only be a matter of time before they are behind again. It seems the grading is becoming a lot more relaxed though, if that is any comfort. I am packing up to move and was boxing slabs and for some reason looked at a recent 9.8 that i got back not too long ago. There is no way it should be a 9.8. On the flip-side If I sell it, the buyer would probably notice that as well and would return it. I like it but now I am stuck with it forever.

I just called on my books which were submitted July 11th and they said that graders are on books from June 14th. :(

They've been stuck on books from June 14th for almost two weeks now.

At this rate, yours might be graded by July 10th of next year.

June 14th. The new Groundhog Day?

You can pitch all the hissy fit you want, but you won't get a refund. If you submit books to be graded, you will wait however long it takes to get your books graded as you don't have enough clout to get them graded any faster.

I like to complain more than the next guy, but it's either wait or don't submit. That's the gist of it when there's no where else to submit books.

At this point, I'm not subbing anything that I'm not selling. Since I want to sell most books quickly, I'm fast tracking. If fast track keeps falling behind, then I really have to question whether to sub any books whatsoever in the Modern, Value or Economy tiers. I'll just end up stockpiling for an onsite opportunity.

At this point, I'm not subbing anything that I'm not selling. Since I want to sell most books quickly, I'm fast tracking. If fast track keeps falling behind, then I really have to question whether to sub any books whatsoever in the Modern, Value or Economy tiers. I'll just end up stockpiling for an onsite opportunity.

You'll still have raw 9.8 price gouging opportunities.

Is he selling Walking Deads?

Thankfully the charge for graders notes, as well as last year's fee increase, have resulted in decreased TATs.

It was just a matter of time before Fast Track submissions fell behind. Eventually, once your regular service is so far behind as to not really exist at all, fast track is just a de facto price increase. That's all fine and good until everyone accepts the price increase and begins to submit through the FT tier in the same volume as the regular. Then, WHOOPS! You've still got the same volume that you can't handle normally.

If you're only solution is to try to decrease demand (submissions) via a price increase, that doesn't bode well for trying to increase your product supply (slabbed books) going forward.

Word.

Agreed. Don't forget to quote GPA for maximum gouging potential.

Cgc is the one and only grading company out there, they compare to none other, so what makes everyone such an expert on what is actually good vs bad service. Maybe what they are offering is actually pretty acceptable. But keep complaining cause that makes things go faster. The last thing everyone could want is hack handling/grading. Collectors shouldn't be as concerned as a flipper about TAT, cause the book gets tucked away anyway. Flippers need to put up or shut up.

Collectors shouldn't be as concerned as a flipper about TAT, cause the book gets tucked away anyway. Flippers need to put up or shut up.
So you don't mind waving goodbye to your books for 3-9 months and paying for the privilege of doing it?

Cgc is the one and only grading company out there, they compare to none other, so what makes everyone such an expert on what is actually good vs bad service. Maybe what they are offering is actually pretty acceptable. But keep complaining cause that makes things go faster. The last thing everyone could want is hack handling/grading. Collectors shouldn't be as concerned as a flipper about TAT, cause the book gets tucked away anyway. Flippers need to put up or shut up.

By put up do you mean pay for the fast track service which is also behind schedule?

Put up or shut up, dawg.

In what manner, homeslice? I have plenty of books that don't justify subbing knowing I have to wait 6 months or more.

That is neither putting up, nor shutting up.

Put up or shut up, dawg.

In what manner, homeslice? I have plenty of books that don't justify subbing knowing I have to wait 6 months or more.

Shutting up is not an option.

Put up or shut up, dawg.

Shutting up is not an option.

Then some up needs to be put. :sumo:

Collectors shouldn't be as concerned as a flipper about TAT, cause the book gets tucked away anyway. Flippers need to put up or shut up.
So you don't mind waving goodbye to your books for 3-9 months and paying for the privilege of doing it?

Its not ideal, but I actually don't mind waiting. But then again, this is just a hobby for me, and I only spend extra disposable income on comics and comic-related costs. I understand that I have very real costs, like housing and family and food and friends, and that I'm lucky to have disposable income to spend on comics. And while I may try to 'flip' some books, I factor the wait time into my costs and decision making, and if it doesn't make sense because of the current CGC situation, I don't do it. Flipping is speculative by nature, and if you can't deal with variances (expected or not), then maybe flipping isn't for you. If comics is a hobby for you, no one forces you to buy a comic, no one forces you to get it graded. Its all a matter of "Is it worth it to me?" Everyone reading this site KNOWS wait times are long now, so that may factor into your decision making on whether to grade. But I do think that more communication on actual times should be provided by CGC, so people know what they're getting into.

However, if I depended on selling graded comics for all or part of my livelihood, I would probably feel MUCH stronger about the wait times, and the $10 fast track would be a STANDARD part of my budgeting. If that means that I can no longer make enough money relying on CGC for my business, then so be it, maybe I have should look into another line of work, or focus on another business segment or revenue stream. Does that kind of suck? Yah, it does. Is that much different than how A MILLION OTHER businesses and industries work? No, not really. If your business doesn't make money any more because one of your suppliers takes too long, or costs too much, I'm sorry, it happens. Now should you do your best to try to get that supplier to improve, through communication and feedback etc? Absolutely. But sometimes you've gotta make those hard decisions, and only when those hard decisions start affecting your supplier's bottom line will they really hear you. Honestly, sometimes its too late for one or both parties by then. But that's life, that's business. Just about everyone is at the mercy of someone else when it comes to their livelihood, working with comics is no different.