• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

27,009 posts in this topic

Slow Modern

5/9 - Mailed to CGC 

5/12 - Delivered to CGC facility

5/16 - Received by CGC

5/16 - SFG

N/A - GEI

N/A - G/QC

N/A - Shipped 

Edited by qlow
edit: added tier

Jennifer says here they are shipping economy orders from 7/30 now. Part of the reasoning given is extremely high submissions now, why does that impact economy tier from last year? Is it now just one guy in the basement like PGX? Yet we were told weeks ago that they were on the week of 8/2. Not misled, we are being consciously lied to.

I started paying attention to this MOSTLY just to bust chops, but a few months later it is really disheartening. This company cares not, and damage is occurring on these stacked and waiting books as we have seen time and again in posts here. It is sad to see we are just lied to and goalposts keep shifting.

Edited by Bird
I even took down my sales threads as I cannot continue to bite the hand that feeds me so I stopped feeding to keep biting

On 5/17/2022 at 8:25 AM, Bird said:

Jennifer says here they are shipping economy orders from 7/30 now. Part of the reasoning given is extremely high submissions now, why does that impact economy tier from last year? Is it now just one guy in the basement like PGX? Yet we were told weeks ago that they were on the week of 8/2. Not misled, we are being consciously lied to.

I started paying attention to this MOSTLY just to bust chops, but a few months later it is really disheartening. This company cares not, and damage is occurring on these stacked and waiting books as we have seen time and again in posts here. It is sad to see we are just lied to and goalposts keep shifting.

I've honestly given up trying to reach out to customer service regarding TAT's. Either they'll give you a canned answer, or contact CCS regarding your books and someone there gives them a canned answer. For example, my 4/11/2021 received submission (3/23 delivered) is currently sitting at 288 business days (current TAT's are at 256). 6 weeks ago I was told that the books are in the room being pressed with only a couple remaining before they can be sent to CGC for grading. I contacted them again 3 weeks ago and was told to wait another couple of weeks. So either customer service is telling the truth and someone has been working on my submission for over 6 weeks (which seems unlikely), or the books have been misplaced and won't see the light of day for months.

Did CGC change the timing of when they charge your credit card?  I think all of my past submissions were charged when the books actually got graded.  Now I'm seeing charges go through right when they are received and move to SFG.  I'm okay with this if they quickly move through the process and I get the books back in a few weeks.  But man, this will really suck if the books won't be returned for 3+ months.  Maybe this is their way of slowing down submissions?  If so I can see it working as $500+ for a 25 book MODERN submission that won't be returned for 3 or 4 months will likely preclude most folks from having more than 2 or 3 submissions open at a time.

On 5/17/2022 at 9:25 AM, Bird said:

Wagers of everyone who has theirs from mid August are done in 2 weeks :baiting: 

On 5/16/2022 at 9:06 PM, joeypost said:

Anyone see any movement on economy books?

No Movement on my Economy Tier, submitted on 8/12/21

Edited by iae21
error

On 5/17/2022 at 11:38 AM, iae21 said:

No Movement on my Economy Tier, submitted on 8/12/21

Man I truly feel bad for the reps at this point. 

CGC/ CCS please focus on the older books, economy, value, whatever. Get the books that have been there for an unreasonable amount of time out first. Please.

On 5/17/2022 at 10:42 AM, eastriver31400 said:

Man I truly feel bad for the reps at this point. 

CGC/ CCS please focus on the older books, economy, value, whatever. Get the books that have been there for an unreasonable amount of time out first. Please.

It is quite a cruddy situation for everyone involved from the customers submitting books to the employees at CGC that are not making any of these decisions.

I just even find it odd that they would open up a VHS/Betamax grading division, but not work on fixing the issues that are occurring with the products they are currently providing a grading service for.

Like last week, they slowed down the Walkthrough and Express TATs on their website to the same exact timeframe, yet charging the same cost for both services.

I just do not know how you fix this problem anymore besides adding much more staff to the problem. You can't stop taking in submissions, that will cause huge issues for the company and damage their reputation even further. The crazy part now is that they are even slowing down their Walkthrough and Express submissions which people are paying a huge premium to use those.

They just need to ultimately bite the bullet and keep hiring people to work around the clock in shifts or else this backlog will never get processed.

On 5/17/2022 at 12:07 PM, captainzombie said:

.The crazy part now is that they are even slowing down their Walkthrough and Express submissions which people are paying a huge premium to use those.

If they are doing so to take care of the unreasonably old submissions, then this is a smart move.

It's losing a battle to win the war. 

Losing a battle: (a few bucks of short term $ loss on increased FT submissions)

Win the war (making customers happy again, stopping the barrage of internet-wide bad mouthing, non stop customer service calls, etc.) and remaining the industry leader. 

On 5/17/2022 at 11:29 AM, eastriver31400 said:

If they are doing so to take care of the unreasonably old submissions, then this is a smart move.

It's losing a battle to win the war. 

Losing a battle: (a few bucks of short term $ loss on increased FT submissions)

Win the war (making customers happy again, stopping the barrage of internet-wide bad mouthing, non stop customer service calls, etc.) and remaining the industry leader. 

Hopefully it is to take care of the old submissions from last year, but who knows what their thought process is on how to fix all this.

So I received my 25 Modern slow submission which was received on 2-15-22 and received 5-16 not bad timetable at all but the grading is a MESS. I pressed my books and figured at least 18-19 at 9.8 ended up with the following...

9-9.8

6-9.6's (checked these over and there's absolutely nothing wrong with these most likely crack and resend, here's more $$$ CGC)

3-9.4's of these 2 are possibly a 9.6/9.8 the other 1 is a legit 9.4

2-9.2's this is a joke 1 is definitely a 9.6/9.8 the other is a LEGIT 9.8 Infinity Gauntlet #1 it has the production line on the back I've seen lots of these books with this graded a 9.8  kicker is the graders notes says "crease center back cover"

1-9.0 "Moderate spine stress lines" 3 small almost unseen light spine ticks had this drop a full grade???

1-7.5 "light crease left center of back cover" can't find it this book is perfect???? 

3-7.0's  "moderate spine stress lines to cover, very light bends to cover" "crease left top of back cover, large bend right top of back cover"  can't find the bends or the crease of the 3 they have very small spine ticks not enough to justify a 3 grade drop IMO

This is clearly my last group of books for a while. Just needed to vent.

On 5/17/2022 at 1:51 PM, billsid said:

So I received my 25 Modern slow submission which was received on 2-15-22 and received 5-16 not bad timetable at all but the grading is a MESS. I pressed my books and figured at least 18-19 at 9.8 ended up with the following...

9-9.8

6-9.6's (checked these over and there's absolutely nothing wrong with these most likely crack and resend, here's more $$$ CGC)

3-9.4's of these 2 are possibly a 9.6/9.8 the other 1 is a legit 9.4

2-9.2's this is a joke 1 is definitely a 9.6/9.8 the other is a LEGIT 9.8 Infinity Gauntlet #1 it has the production line on the back I've seen lots of these books with this graded a 9.8  kicker is the graders notes says "crease center back cover"

1-9.0 "Moderate spine stress lines" 3 small almost unseen light spine ticks had this drop a full grade???

1-7.5 "light crease left center of back cover" can't find it this book is perfect???? 

3-7.0's  "moderate spine stress lines to cover, very light bends to cover" "crease left top of back cover, large bend right top of back cover"  can't find the bends or the crease of the 3 they have very small spine ticks not enough to justify a 3 grade drop IMO

This is clearly my last group of books for a while. Just needed to vent.

FWIW you're not alone.  This is a recurring theme on this board.  Some submissions grade out well, while others get hammered.  And yeah, pressable "defects" like bends or light polybag creases end up dropping the book down to 9.0 and below.  I'm okay with color breaking creases and spine ticks dropping the grade, but c'mon, a pressable bend and what would be a 9.8 ends up a 9.0?  As you said, it then ends up being a CPR candidate which is just more time and money.

On 5/17/2022 at 1:12 PM, Petroman said:

FWIW you're not alone.  This is a recurring theme on this board.  Some submissions grade out well, while others get hammered.  And yeah, pressable "defects" like bends or light polybag creases end up dropping the book down to 9.0 and below.  I'm okay with color breaking creases and spine ticks dropping the grade, but c'mon, a pressable bend and what would be a 9.8 ends up a 9.0?  As you said, it then ends up being a CPR candidate which is just more time and money.

Their grades have been all over the place recently. I am noticing that books from the 80's and 90's are being graded very harshly through the Modern/FT tier. I am by no means an expert in grading and have only been pressing/cleaning since January of this year, but by no means would I send a trashed up book wasting my money and time. I've had books come back 1-2 full grade drops where they should have been much higher. Most of them even in lower grades without any notes, and when you get ones with notes it is always "light crease". A light crease will drop the book that much? I know how I am with my OCD, I would never send a book in to be graded with creases.