• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,967 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2022 at 10:02 PM, Petroman said:

Yes, this is the most frustrating bit.  Worst case the book should come back as a 9.6.  But getting a 9.0 on a book with no flaws that break color is just incomprehensible.  I've seen this plenty of times too.  The nebulous "slight bends to cover" with a 9.0 grade just makes no sense.  Or slight polybag crease.  If you can put a book in a mylar sleeve and the defect is not visible then it shouldn't even be treated as a defect.  In fact there is a good chance that having a book slabbed for a few years will effectively press out these "defects" anyway.

They hammer NCB damage as an incentive to send your books to CCS prior to grading.  This not only increases the revenue stream, but it acts as a buffer to the onslaught of incoming submissions.

On 5/19/2022 at 10:14 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

They hammer NCB damage as an incentive to send your books to CCS prior to grading.  This not only increases the revenue stream, but it acts as a buffer to the onslaught of incoming submissions.

You're probably right that this is the impetus for the severe grading on NCB defects.  I guess its worked, maybe too well as the CCS machine seems to have seized up.  Right now the only reason I'd send books via the CCS route is to have someone store them for 2 years for $15 a book.  

On 5/19/2022 at 10:02 PM, Petroman said:

Yes, this is the most frustrating bit.  Worst case the book should come back as a 9.6.  But getting a 9.0 on a book with no flaws that break color is just incomprehensible.  I've seen this plenty of times too.  The nebulous "slight bends to cover" with a 9.0 grade just makes no sense.  Or slight polybag crease.  If you can put a book in a mylar sleeve and the defect is not visible then it shouldn't even be treated as a defect.  In fact there is a good chance that having a book slabbed for a few years will effectively press out these "defects" anyway.

1370560692_Screenshot(42).thumb.png.334d097e74e763df31b02415c0f0d477.png

I totally agree.

Star Wars 7 6/99 Dark Horse Comics
Modern
8.5 WHITE

1166320413_Screenshot(44).png.cb8b0bf7f0d20c54757408065258a5a8.png
No color breaks 8.5 really?
Edited by ak47po

On 5/19/2022 at 7:30 PM, Petroman said:

These grading discrepancies are are really scary.  It seems like many have reported them (myself included) but there is little recourse other than to take your chances or stop sending books for grading.  As per their website:

"Grading is a team effort, with multiple CGC professionals examining every collectible to ensure accuracy and consistency. CGC's graders enter a grade for each collectible into CGC's computer system. A consensus is then reached on the final grade of the collectible."

Is this still the case or do the increased submissions volumes mean they can no longer do this?  At least that could explain some of these wide grading discrepancies.  

They really are scary and its getting to a point where I can see people stop sending books in. I was looking over the books that came in again today, and just do not see how some of the 9.6s didn't get a 9.8. I doubt they are doing any kind of team effort over there with grading or even QC. Many of the slabs I received today had a healthy amount of newton rings and of course some shards of plastic. Do they even look at these cases before shipping?

Then I was looking at my Vengeance of Bane #1, damn thing is flawless and could have hit a 9.8. I look at the case, and on the cover it looks like grader might have been eating a powdered doughnut while grading. There were some white specs on the cover and I know I would never send in a book like that.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:49 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Moved to G/E/I today.

image.thumb.png.dda87f8bf7bc746a24115c3f98287fe3.png

Shipped May 19.

image.thumb.png.7eba2c2b31a9a8a7871118aa06951cd4.png

As other posters may remember, CGC previously noted your submissions as "Shipped/Safe" as opposed to just "Shipped." I do not recall when CGC ended the "Shipped/Safe" designation.

On the other hand, perhaps CGC still designates some submissions as "Shipped/Safe," although I do not recall seeing that in any of the more recent submissions tracked in this thread.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
"Shipped/Safe"

image.png.c9fd0d56d65310f74d637ab9f1debea9.png

Last MFT processed very quickly.  Current one not so much.  And they've already charged me for both my open orders which seems a departure from the past where I get charged once the books are graded.  Would send some more books in but at $500+ per MST 25 book sub I need a few more books back first that I can flip to cover costs.  I would say that charging upon Received is a pretty effective way to slow submissions as if most folks are like me they don't want to float CGC thou$and$ on books you will not get back for 4+ months.

On 5/20/2022 at 8:33 AM, Petroman said:

image.png.c9fd0d56d65310f74d637ab9f1debea9.png

Last MFT processed very quickly.  Current one not so much.  And they've already charged me for both my open orders which seems a departure from the past where I get charged once the books are graded.  Would send some more books in but at $500+ per MST 25 book sub I need a few more books back first that I can flip to cover costs.  I would say that charging upon Received is a pretty effective way to slow submissions as if most folks are like me they don't want to float CGC thou$and$ on books you will not get back for 4+ months.

Yeah I have the two MFT below that went GEI the day they were received and haven't moved since. Both are past the current advertised TAT.

image.thumb.png.fe85132ef74f80ff49b21dd8fa6b1a53.png

On 5/19/2022 at 9:35 PM, ak47po said:
1166320413_Screenshot(44).png.cb8b0bf7f0d20c54757408065258a5a8.png
No color breaks 8.5 really?

I'm not defending, however if there are truly no color breaks, which I recall they don't always note if stress lines are color breaking or not, how bad was the cover creasing?

On 5/20/2022 at 10:31 AM, ramrodcar said:

I'm not defending, however if there are truly no color breaks, which I recall they don't always note if stress lines are color breaking or not, how bad was the cover creasing?

I cleaned and pressed all these books. Spine stress line on this book are smaller the 1/16 in and only two of them that can only be seen at certain angles. I won't submit books that don't have a chance of getting a 9.6 or better on moderns.😔

On 5/20/2022 at 10:42 AM, JollyComics said:

10 days away from one year anniversary.  That is very shameful.

YES! 5/30 was the "delivered" date.

I still want to determine what exact date they are working on right now with Slow Economy.  Has anyone seen ANY status movement from early Aug?  Or even ANY status movement from July?

Edited by gadzukes

On 5/19/2022 at 7:10 PM, Petroman said:

I've always wondered how CGC handles packages like yours that arrive damaged. 

I had a "Delivery rejected" on one and it was returned instantly because a corner of box was smushed. I Pack well so there was no damage to books inside, re-packed, shipped again, accepted.

More recently, and weirdest, another was signed for and sat waiting for few weeks. Then When it came time to open, they retroactively "refused delivery" and shipped back. Again, corner was crushed and torn and someone had slapped layers of tape on the opening. Sooo...why'd they initially accept delivery of that? ::shrug::

On 5/20/2022 at 10:44 AM, gadzukes said:

YES! 5/30 was the "delivered" date.

I still want to determine what exact date they are working on right now with Slow Economy.  Has anyone seen ANY status movement from early Aug?  Or even ANY status movement from July?

Not much.  Mine is 8/21.  I saw some posts that mentioned about 7/30 that has not moved at all.

On 5/20/2022 at 10:22 AM, Appleseed1967 said:

Has anybody had any luck getting their non-fast track books through CCS for pressing that were submitted in April 2021?  Trying to get an idea of how much longer mine will be, and I can’t get a straight answer from customer service.

I'm in the same boat. My 4/11/21 CCS received submission still hasn't been pressed. I was told 7 weeks ago that only a few books were left to be pressed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,still waiting.

my 8/12 economy books were part of a larger shipment I sent to joey, so my books also left my hands well over a year ago (early april IIRC). I knew it was send and forget but this is ridonkculous.

I don't really mind the TATs per se, I mind the ignoring of the tier while other tier TATs have decreased dramatically. And I mind the bs we get in response to our questions.

#ItAin'tRainingDespiteWhatCGCMaySayWeGettingPeedOn