• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,969 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2022 at 2:08 PM, captainzombie said:

I am noticing the same issue with those older book from that time era. I see that the book is going for $200+, I'd resend it back in if I were you.

Another good example, I have an Uncanny X-Men #244 which should have easily been a 9.8 come back with a 9.4 and no grader notes. All sharp corners, no spine tics or bends/creases......so like, what is it that they gave it such a lower grade is what I can't figure out.

Did you press the book? Since these new graders are grading 80's and 90's books like recent moderns, if the spine does not look like a pancake, the book is guaranteed to come back a 9.4. I've also noticed that for each minor flaw, the book gets knocked down a grade. So if you have 4 very minor non color breaking creases along the spine, it'll go down to a 9.0.

Again, if CGC has all of a sudden changed their grading criteria, I can adjust my grading to the new standards. However, 2 out of 3 submissions are still graded like they have been for the past 20 years. It's like playing a game of chance where 1 out of 3 submissions will get hammered. Also, I made a huge mistake of sending multiple copies of the same book in the same submission. If I had spread them out over 5 or 6 submissions, then at least a few of them would get a 9.8.

On 5/19/2022 at 2:24 PM, skybolt said:

Did you press the book? Since these new graders are grading 80's and 90's books like recent moderns, if the spine does not look like a pancake, the book is guaranteed to come back a 9.4. I've also noticed that for each minor flaw, the book gets knocked down a grade. So if you have 4 very minor non color breaking creases along the spine, it'll go down to a 9.0.

Again, if CGC has all of a sudden changed their grading criteria, I can adjust my grading to the new standards. However, 2 out of 3 submissions are still graded like they have been for the past 20 years. It's like playing a game of chance where 1 out of 3 submissions will get hammered. Also, I made a huge mistake of sending multiple copies of the same book in the same submission. If I had spread them out over 5 or 6 submissions, then at least a few of them would get a 9.8.

Yes, I press and clean all of my books before they are sent over to CGC. I even triple check the stack before I start entering into their submission system to send the books to them since its not worth rolling the dice and lose even more money.

Like you have said, I think they have either changed the grading criteria or they have those new people also grading these older books not knowing what to look for. I fear a lot of it is the latter.

I've sent in multiple copies of modern books and "knock on wood" they have been somewhat okay, but I have read from others on here to say the same thing you have said. I try not to send too many of the same book in one batch.

On 5/19/2022 at 12:03 PM, CGC Mike said:

Lets give it another week, and I will check with Matt.  

see how deflating it is asking about this?

one week from today is 5/26, one more month of nothing. was it two weeks ago we were told they were on 8/2, now according to Jennifer they have moved backwards to the end of July. when they were "devoting more resources to economy tier shortly" TAT was 20+ days shorter than it is now, meaning they either lied or immediately said "oops, not only will we not get to them as promised to cgc mike, we won't get to them for another month, so increase the TAT online".

why even bother checking with Matt? Why even relay what he replies if it means nothing? actions speak louder than words is my feedback

:facepalm: I'm now at 213 business days since delivery and still SFG. I'm thinking 223 is :roflmao:

#wherethe:censored:aremyeconomybooks

So I am thinking of cashing out on a few things... and still... it's like... I am thinking of sending books in that would not be available at auction until at least two years from now if I sent them out today between pressing, sending to cgc, receiving them, submitting them to auction house and them scheduling them... 

On 5/19/2022 at 3:24 PM, skybolt said:

Yes been submitting for a few years and have RECENTLY noticed the average grades are IN GENERAL 0.2-0.6 lower than in the past...If it is a 9.8 give it 9.8 and let the markets dictate the price EQUILIBRIUM...under grading in my opinion will likely decrease the # of books sent in...

On 5/18/2022 at 5:25 PM, Bird said:

I am glad you are getting your books back,  I hope you don't get one eyed jack grading your books.

#meh

not #w00tw00t

#meh

Well i guess i didn't the one eyed jack grader, but the grader didn't have 20/20 vision either. Most came back close to what i thought The three with the grader notes are a head scratch-er?

2123890266_Screenshot(42).thumb.png.286b9f73b0e20955a6f115b79d58a04b.png

5 Economy Slow Track

Delivered 6/18 - 336 days (28 more days from 1st anniversary)

Received on 8/21

SFG 8/21

AND.....

2 Economy Slow Track

Delivered 8/18 - 303 days (it may carry over into 2023).  They still have my personal check that has not cashed.  I think it's invalid because it's over 90 business days.

Received at CCS 10/20

On 5/19/2022 at 5:22 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Note to self:  

Avoid 9.4s that were graded last year

I'd take the glass half full approach and say that there are very good buying opportunities for books that were grading 9.0 - 9.6 in the last year.  Many of these books are severely undergraded and many of the "defect" are easily pressed out.

On 5/19/2022 at 2:35 PM, skybolt said:

Sorry to hear that. The light stress lines that take a book down from 9.8 to 9.0 is really baffling for me. Last year I was getting 9.4's on books with 5 or 6 color breaking stress lines along the spine.

It's been a frustrating day since my other submission got mostly 8.0/8.5 grades due to a crunched corner during shipping. :(

I've always wondered how CGC handles packages like yours that arrive damaged.  I would want them to take pictures of it and send them to me so that I can file an insurance claim from the shipper (and maybe even just have them ship the books back to ungraded).  If they don't do that, then I can't see an insurance claim working.  And you then get the double whammy of grades. 

On 5/19/2022 at 3:45 PM, captainzombie said:

Yes, I press and clean all of my books before they are sent over to CGC. I even triple check the stack before I start entering into their submission system to send the books to them since its not worth rolling the dice and lose even more money.

Like you have said, I think they have either changed the grading criteria or they have those new people also grading these older books not knowing what to look for. I fear a lot of it is the latter.

I've sent in multiple copies of modern books and "knock on wood" they have been somewhat okay, but I have read from others on here to say the same thing you have said. I try not to send too many of the same book in one batch.

These grading discrepancies are are really scary.  It seems like many have reported them (myself included) but there is little recourse other than to take your chances or stop sending books for grading.  As per their website:

"Grading is a team effort, with multiple CGC professionals examining every collectible to ensure accuracy and consistency. CGC's graders enter a grade for each collectible into CGC's computer system. A consensus is then reached on the final grade of the collectible."

Is this still the case or do the increased submissions volumes mean they can no longer do this?  At least that could explain some of these wide grading discrepancies.  

On 5/19/2022 at 7:10 PM, Petroman said:

I've always wondered how CGC handles packages like yours that arrive damaged.  I would want them to take pictures of it and send them to me so that I can file an insurance claim from the shipper (and maybe even just have them ship the books back to ungraded).  If they don't do that, then I can't see an insurance claim working.  And you then get the double whammy of grades. 

I've been submitting books to CGC for almost 20 years. In the past they did call me on a couple of occasions before they proceeded to grade the books. Not all the books were damaged, but I did appreciate the heads up.

On 5/17/2022 at 12:07 PM, captainzombie said:

...to work around the clock in shifts or else this backlog will never get processed.

I wouldn't want my books being the ones graded at 3AM.  

On 5/18/2022 at 6:15 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

What blows.......? Err my mind (thumbsu

Is that no one has even posted a fast track economy 

Me, bird, and a lot of others are here with slow track economy from August September and Oct last year

*raises hand* 
Also waiting on Economy from September.  
Current TAT for Economy comes to about 11 months (taking into consideration that their TATs are BUSINESS days), so that means I shouldn't expect my books back until August  :censored:

CCS is also about 11 months, so those submitting Economy with press won't see their books for nearly 2 years.  
How is this a good business model?  2 years??

On 5/19/2022 at 7:30 PM, Petroman said:

These grading discrepancies are are really scary.  It seems like many have reported them (myself included) but there is little recourse other than to take your chances or stop sending books for grading.  As per their website:

"Grading is a team effort, with multiple CGC professionals examining every collectible to ensure accuracy and consistency. CGC's graders enter a grade for each collectible into CGC's computer system. A consensus is then reached on the final grade of the collectible."

Is this still the case or do the increased submissions volumes mean they can no longer do this?  At least that could explain some of these wide grading discrepancies.  

The old model of submitting books to CGC certainly doesn't work for me anymore. In the past I was pretty accurate with books I was confident would come back as 9.8. Worst case scenario, I'd get a bunch of 9.6's for books on the fence and a 1 or 2 9.4's sprinkled in there, which was still frustrating. These days (on certain submissions) I'm getting 9.0's on books I was 100% sure would come back as 9.8. Again, I could easily chalk it up to me losing my ability to grade, if 2/3 of my submissions weren't still coming back with grades I expected.

On 5/19/2022 at 9:46 PM, skybolt said:

These days (on certain submissions) I'm getting 9.0's on books I was 100% sure would come back as 9.8.

Yes, this is the most frustrating bit.  Worst case the book should come back as a 9.6.  But getting a 9.0 on a book with no flaws that break color is just incomprehensible.  I've seen this plenty of times too.  The nebulous "slight bends to cover" with a 9.0 grade just makes no sense.  Or slight polybag crease.  If you can put a book in a mylar sleeve and the defect is not visible then it shouldn't even be treated as a defect.  In fact there is a good chance that having a book slabbed for a few years will effectively press out these "defects" anyway.