• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2013 - It's Never to Early, Oct 10-13

531 posts in this topic

I just got back. I usually skip the weekend on these shows, because of the crowd and a big part of my focus is on getting commissions done.

Thursday wasn't so bad, but Friday was packed. CGC was seriously understaffed. I think I saw 6 guys, and never more than 3 or 4 working at a time. I really felt bad for them. There were hordes of people trying to get things signed and asking questions. I want to give a big shout out to everyone who helped witness what I did get done there.

I think I was a bit too ambitious in the number of books I planned to get signed. I started out with 26 books, some of them targeted for multiple signatures. I ended up dropping plans for 6 of those entirely. And I took another 5 upstairs to Desert Wind and paid them to get the missing sigs.

Funny thing is, I successfully did similar numbers at C2E2 and Wizard World in Chicago with no problems, so I didn't anticipate it being such a big deal. But, the witnesses at NYCC were just plain overworked. And, I'm afraid I may have came off as something of a jerk a few times too, trying to get their attention. It was just hugely frustrating. At least half of the time I spent at the convention I was just standing around waiting at the CGC table waiting for my turn to go get 1 signature at a time. I spent 95 percent of my time in the artist's hall, and honesty never saw any of the convention, but its all good.

On the plus side, I got close to a dozen really nice sketch commissions done--which is what I'm all about anyway. If someone starts a thread for NYCC sketch books I'll be glad to share a handful of them.

OK. Nite time for me now. I'm gonna sleep like the dead.

Why don't they simply seek assistance for CGC witnesses or volunteers? They know they are going to be swamped every time their is a show of this caliber. Why not put out a looking for assistance message and gain some much needed individuals that way? Realistically all they are doing is walking their to the artist and back. Maybe have some volunteer help and post at big name artists simply stand by the artists themselves and when signed take however many they can handle then return to the desk and go back? Just seems like a simplified problem could be easily dealt with a simplified solution...

On the plus side, I got close to a dozen really nice sketch commissions done--which is what I'm all about anyway. If someone starts a thread for NYCC sketch books I'll be glad to share a handful of them.

The modern NYCC Exclusive thread seems to have turned into a thread about NYCC experiences in general. I am sure people would appreciate you posting the sketch books there.

As much as I hate desert wind (most unprofessional bunch of individual_without_enough_empathys in the world), I'd

Be curious how much they charge for me to drop my books off with them to go get about 8 sigs on them.

I went Thursday and had a blast. I got some excellent items and walked until my legs couldn't walk anymore. I went with my good friend and we then went for amazing Asian food and drinks later.

My NYCC haul:

null_zpsfbefdbca.jpg

null_zpsfe4ad6e2.jpg

null_zps079d3a4b.jpg

And my favorite from the show, courtesy of Mr. Bob Storms!

null_zps0a60e357.jpg

Why don't they simply seek assistance for CGC witnesses or volunteers? They know they are going to be swamped every time their is a show of this caliber. Why not put out a looking for assistance message and gain some much needed individuals that way? Realistically all they are doing is walking their to the artist and back. Maybe have some volunteer help and post at big name artists simply stand by the artists themselves and when signed take however many they can handle then return to the desk and go back? Just seems like a simplified problem could be easily dealt with a simplified solution...

Trust me, as someone who has worked for CGC and has worked as a facilitator with CGC, it's not that simple. For large shows like this, with the crowds, distances, and logistics, it's a difficult situation. Even for the big name artists, you leave one person with that artist and then have runners go back and forth with batches of people. It works for shows like C2E2 and Wizard Chicago but I think NYCC (and SDCC for that matter) is a different animal.

I hope the crew there is surviving the best they can. :)

Trust me, as someone who has worked for CGC and has worked as a facilitator with CGC, it's not that simple. For large shows like this, with the crowds, distances, and logistics, it's a difficult situation. Even for the big name artists, you leave one person with that artist and then have runners go back and forth with batches of people. It works for shows like C2E2 and Wizard Chicago but I think NYCC (and SDCC for that matter) is a different animal.

I thought they did an absolute excellent job. Mike from CGC is a machine. That guy was constantly working his off and he never once appeared grumpy of unfriendly. I was nagging him multiple times on Friday and ever time he got me what I needed and was very up beat.

It has to be insanely hard to work that show and I, for one, had a perfect experience..props to them!

Figured I'd throw this out there. If anyone has a pass or anything that I could meet tomorrow to get in I'd pay whatever you want. I've gone the last 9 years to this. This was going to be my first year I missed it, but a change in plans happened and I am on my way to NY at 5in the morning from MA. My 5 year old dog suddenly past away a month or so ago. We are actually picking up a puppy from a breeder 7 miles from the show tomorrow at 3-4. We were originally supposed to go next weekend, so I didn't want to drive a 10 hr day two weekends in a row so thats originally why I wasn't going to be able to attend the show. Now we set everything up to meet tomorrow and I figured its probably a huge longshot but I have from roughly 10-3 to somehow get into the show lol If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it and like I said pay whatever

Thanks Matt

Have two extra passes for Tomorrow if you want them

Honestly appreciate the insight. I guess they may need a few Offensive Tackles hired to ensure everything gets from point A to B in Mint condition.