• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion.

576 posts in this topic

don't bet on ''unmolested'' versions of the original trilogy anytime soon.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10/30/fox-retain-rights-to-all-existing-star-wars-films/

I wonder why then FOX (who are $ whores as well) do not release those 3 movies then and make millions.

What are they waiting for?

Because Star Wars fans buy every craptastic Star Wars product that comes out, even if it's NOT the original trilogy. SW fans are like kids on allowance day - as soon as something comes out, regardless of quality, they buy it.

This isn't true though. I'm a huge SW fan and am still waiting for them to release the originals on Blu Ray before I buy them. It seems like there are a lot of us that are waiting.

They should really release it.

Is Lucas blocking Fox from release the original trilogy?

I remember reading after the Special Edition that Lucas swore he'd never release another version of the film on home video. He said the SE was the way he intended the film to be released.

So who knows who is blocking the release...

I also did NOT buy them on Blu-Ray. I have the special edition DVD's with the craptastic edits and extra scenes. Quality of film and sound is fine but extra scene painful. I also own the DVD that were unedited. Unfortunately these were not really cleaned up. The picutre quality and sound were ok on a tube screen TV. However going up to a large flat screen...I find them unwatchable. The picture quality is bad and the audio likewise. Due to this despite owning 2 versions of the original trilogies,

I have not watched Star Wars in quite sometime.

I will not buy the Blu-Ray as the special edition discs are perfectly acceptable quality...except for the extra bull mess.

I like ROTJ. I mean most of the complaints are about the Ewoks anyways...but what he did with Jabba's Palace on the special editions was just wrong. He also up the flow of the end of the film with all his stupid celebrations on other planets. What a train wreck. No Blu-Ray for me until they clean up the versions they released about 7 years ago.

Now that Disney has it you can expect the onflux of rides, merchandising, spin off movies and even Broadway shows. ANYONE for Darth Vader singing and dancing on Broadway.

HOW could you sell something so important? I guess Lucas can hang out with Mr Stan Lee

Yes, the risk is now over-exposure to Star Wars. It was going to happen, eventually. Mr. Lucas sold to get his estate in order so he can oversee the transition while he's still alive--it was more or less stated in the release.

Can you imagine the nerdgasm if at the end of Avengers 2, they have a Thanos-like scene but instead it's Darth Vader?

That would not happen. That would only happen if George Lucas bought Disney/Marvel. I love the South Park where Steven and George edit Raiders of the Lost Ark. Ewoks in the opening Jungle scene. People saying, "This is terrible." Only to have their eye sockets blown out by the Wrath of God.

Here's a nice wikipedia page on all the changes of all SW films

You dont have to read it,just scroll quickly and you'll get the idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases

And here is a list of every home video release ever of every Star wars film.

http://swhomevid.site40.net/releaselist.html

Something in my gut tells me that George is not healthy and that the next announcement will be that he is either sick or deceased.

That is a excellent point. Honestly the thought never passed my mind, but would make sense.

He also stepped down from LFL less than 6 months ago as a transition into retirement and handed the reigns over to Kathleen Kennedy. This coming so soon after that occurring also lead me to believe he may have health issues. Especially since he has been so controlling over Star Wars these years for him to say it's now time for a new generation of film makers to take over the franchise sounds very out of character.

Interesting point, but regardless it's his decision to make--and if it's simply retirement he's definitely deserved it. I will be keeping my ears to the ground though.

Something in my gut tells me that George is not healthy and that the next announcement will be that he is either sick or deceased.

That is a excellent point. Honestly the thought never passed my mind, but would make sense.

He also stepped down from LFL less than 6 months ago as a transition into retirement and handed the reigns over to Kathleen Kennedy. This coming so soon after that occurring also lead me to believe he may have health issues. Especially since he has been so controlling over Star Wars these years for him to say it's now time for a new generation of film makers to take over the franchise sounds very out of character.

Interesting point, but regardless it's his decision to make--and if it's simply retirement he's definitely deserved it. I will be keeping my ears to the ground though.

Maybe now he will lay off all the artwork. He's always got first crack at all the Star Wars and Indy stuff and has had his people go looking for older stuff in private collections.

Here's a nice wikipedia page on all the changes of all SW films

You dont have to read it,just scroll quickly and you'll get the idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases

And here is a list of every home video release ever of every Star wars film.

http://swhomevid.site40.net/releaselist.html

lol That's a lot of changes.

I just hope the person in charge has the sense god gave a goat and make a nice written -script

and plan for this new series. The Harry Potter Series was solid through out and it was 8 films

and that's on a children's book theme. This should do as well with good scripts.

Not many people had faith in the new Star Trek film and it blew people (me included) away.

The Star Wars franchise needs to get back to point that the fans are proud to put the Blu-rays

in their collection and not to sad that they are fan boys of a jokingly dead series that's only real

bright points are movies that were made 30 years ago.

Disney can do this! Or they can be losers that only want to milk that last dollars of it all.

Like all the Planet of the Apes movies that followed the only good film "the first one".

It's their call now...

It's a New Hope.

I just hope the person in charge has the sense god gave a goat and make a nice written -script

and plan for this new series. The Harry Potter Series was solid through out and it was 8 films

and that's on a children's book theme. This should do as well with good scripts.

Not many people had faith in the new Star Trek film and it blew people (me included) away.

The Star Wars franchise needs to get back to point that the fans are proud to put the Blu-rays

in their collection and not to sad that they are fan boys of a jokingly dead series that's only real

Disney can do this! Or they can be losers that only want to milk that last dollars of it all.

Like all the Planet of the Apes movies that followed the only good film "the first one".

It's their call now...

It's a New Hope.

This post looks familiar.

One early test to Disney is whether or not they follow through with

the 3D release of AOTC for this upcoming season (as previously planned).

If they do this I think I will lose a good bit of excitement over their direction.

Especially sense TPM failed.

One real test to Disney is whether or not they follow through with

If they do this I think I will lose a good bit of excitement over their direction.

They need to just go ahead and release the original trilogy in 3-D and skip over the last 2 prequels in 3-d.

It's their call now...

It's a New Hope.

This post looks familiar.

I didn't want this solid thought to get lost in bum WC thread.

;)

One real test to Disney is whether or not they follow through with

They need to just go ahead and release the original trilogy in 3-D and skip over the last 2 prequels in 3-d.

That would make sense and generate more buzz for the new set.

The Prequels need to Die in a hole!

The new trilogy will carry the story of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond Return of the Jedi, the third film released and the sixth in the saga. After that, Disney plans a new Star Wars movie every two or three years. Lucas will serve as creative consultant in the new movies.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/entertainment/movies/lucas-defends-star-wars-turn-around-20121031-28ir1.html#ixzz2AqTCbCgS

IMHO, they need to let the stories with the current characters fade away, and start anew with a new overall world order post Skywalker. Everyone is beyond what I consider a reasonable age, and I'd rather have a reboot than to cast new characters.

For those who missed them, there were 2 free screenings of a rare British Technicolor (dye-transfer) print of the original 1977* Star Wars at the Senator Theatre in Baltimore, which has gone into foreclosure

This is a night and place a lot of us SW fans would've truly loved to attend.

A page for the event.

http://friendsofthesenatortheatre.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/senator-theatre-free-farewell-to-kiefaber-screenings-of-rare-star-wars-1977-print-on-july-21/

And best page i could find that tells about the wonderful feeling of that night.

http://thedailyrecord.com/ontherecord/2010/07/22/last-night-at-the-senator-theatre/