• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion.

576 posts in this topic

personally i'm glad star wars is rising again.. yes..

Hayden Christensen you destroyed episode 2 & 3 and also the movie Jumper..

never knew Horrible acting of one person could destroy an entire high buget movie..

It's one of many points that killed it. Director, too many technical toys, limited workspace for green scenes (remember the long grueling days in the desert? Don't bother, we'll cgi it) adds to the reasons.

Bottom line, it's the story--and the prequel didn't have a compelling story.

Link

"The new Disney deal with Lucasfilm doesn’t include the distribution rights to the pre-existing Star Wars films, all of which will remain with Fox. I assume that includes the Star Wars Holiday Special. In fact, Lucas’ deal with Fox doesn’t look to change in any way, so don’t go getting your hopes up for pristine Blu-ray editions of the original trilogy in their original versions – it’s really not likely to happen at all. The Lucas-Fox pact will have Han shooting second at least until… well, at least until somebody other than George Lucas is making the big decisions. Not to get morbid, but I remember what it took for Stanley Kubrick‘s Clockwork Orange to get “unbanned” in the UK, and that was Kubrick passing away.

Distribution rights to the upcoming films will sit entirely with Disney. This means that any future complete edition boxset will require some kind of deal making by both studios, though that “full set” concept seems to have lost a lot of currency tonight with the promise of new Star Wars every couple-few years for generations to come."

Now the $4 billion makes sense.

IMHO, they need to let the stories with the current characters fade away, and start anew with a new overall world order post Skywalker. Everyone is beyond what I consider a reasonable age, and I'd rather have a reboot than to cast new characters.
Gee, I don't know.

Jeff Bridges (C.L.U.) looked pretty young in Tron Legacy. hm

Now if we can just get the Adam West Batman series on DVD, my life will be complete. :cloud9:

I actually watch those every chance I get. :grin:

That might be the second greatest TV series ever.

Only behind Gilligan's Island. :cloud9:

So, my understanding is that the Expanded Universe books fall under the LucasFilms umbrella through a few divisions (with publisher Del Rey), but that the Dark Horse agreements is something separate, as others have mentioned.

Can anyone confirm that?

are the original, unedited versions of the films availabel in vhs or dvd (other than bootleg versions)? i've never bought star wars in any medium since i figured one day they'd release the originals as well as the edited versions all at once and i'd have to buy another set of dvd's.

are the original, unedited versions of the films availabel in vhs or dvd (other than bootleg versions)? i've never bought star wars in any medium since i figured one day they'd release the originals as well as the edited versions all at once and i'd have to buy another set of dvd's.

IIRC,one of the dvd's is indeed the original film but apparently its been really hard to locate nowadays since the Bluray release.

The very best is still one of the Laserdisc versions.

And the 3 people who have one are partying right now.

IIRC,one of the dvd's is indeed the original film but apparently its been really hard to locate nowadays since the Bluray release.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Two-Disc-Widescreen-Theatrical/dp/B000FQJAIW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1351666009&sr=8-8&keywords=Star+Wars+DVD

This is the only official released DVD that has the original 1977 version of the film.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Two-Disc-Widescreen-Theatrical/dp/B000FQJAIW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1351666009&sr=8-8&keywords=Star+Wars+DVD

This is the only official released DVD that has the original 1977 version of the film.

Thanks for that info.

Unfortunately the steep price of 89 bucks and the original isn't in widescreen.

Only in 4:3 ratio.Not 2:35.

Which is useless.

See great examples and comparisons of widescreen SW and panscan SW here.

http://jfswt.tripod.com/eng/ws/index.html