• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

I've got one coming and may just keep it a while..... the popularity of this franchise is off the charts and the prices, while high, seem cheap when compared to other BA Keys of similar popularity and demand. This movie changed me when I was young.... and until recently I didn't know the comic was released prior to the movie. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.....the 9.6's at less than 700 seem reasonable also.

There is no explanation.

Actually, yes there is.

Wait for it........

SHILLING!! lol

I understand where you're seeing some of this, but...

I think with this comic in particular, what we're seeing is a Star Wars fan base that far, far, far, exceeds that of the comic collecting community.

Yes, there are tons of this comic that's been hoarded - in COMIC BOOK terms.

But the fan base of Star Wars is just far BIGGER than what has been hoarded, and the Star Wars fan base that's interested in this first Star Wars comic is bigger than what's been hoarded.

How big? Well the new #1 sold over a million copies.... and there aren't a million copies of the 1977 #1.

I'm not saying you're wrong - eBay is a grotesque cesspool of weasel-like half humans preying upon the unwitting - I'm just not surprised at the rise in this book, heading into the movie.

There is no explanation.

Actually, yes there is.

Wait for it........

SHILLING!! lol

I think with this comic in particular, what we're seeing is a Star Wars fan base that far, far, far, exceeds that of the comic collecting community.

But the fan base of Star Wars is just far BIGGER than what has been hoarded, and the Star Wars fan base that's interested in this first Star Wars comic is bigger than what's been hoarded.

How big? Well the new #1 sold over a million copies.... and there aren't a million copies of the 1977 #1.

I'm not saying you're wrong - eBay is a grotesque cesspool of weasel-like half humans preying upon the unwitting - I'm just not surprised at the rise in this book, heading into the movie.

I agree that with the release of the new comic and the new movies on the way, "some" increase in value and interest is to be expected.

But how much validity can truly be found in these new and sudden apparent price points when all three of the auctions that establish said price points are tainted by what are fairly obvious shill bidders/buyers? (shrug)

-J.

Greg Reece just sold two copies in the Sales Forum @ $1699...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Perhaps. But that's based on the spiked GPA data after those sketchy auction results. Even legitimate sellers price their books based on GPA, regardless of whether or not said data is based on fraudulent input. This is why shilling sucks.

Like I said, buyer should beware at these price points. It's deja vu all over again.

-J.

This book is form the late Bronze Age, so we already know it isn't the least bit "rare" in any grade. Secondly, it was printed as a "collector's item", souvenir book for a movie that was immediately popular. So we know that the books has been saved/hoarded in large numbers over the years. SW 1 is following the identical trend of essentially every other common book that suddenly experiences an inexplicable and unwarranted rise in value, as well as the accompanying irrational exuberance/explanations from fans/dealers in an attempt to reason/justify why/how something that has been a known "collector's item" for nearly 40 years should plausibly triple in "value" in a seven week period.

There is no explanation.

Actually, yes there is.

Wait for it........

SHILLING!! lol

And here we go....

It usually starts with couple exorbitantly high "buy-it-nows" being popped on ebay to get the ball rolling:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-1-CGC-9-8-WHITE-PAGES-MARVEL-1977-/151563634354?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2349e586b2

Then the fun begins:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=171655306446&showauto=true

You'll notice that in the above auction that two bidders, e**r (549) and e**3 (229) are responsible for running up the bid to well over $1400, which at the time was $300 more than that previous "buy-it-now" that shattered the previous GPA high just a week earlier.

Then four days later this auction happened:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=151577356284&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Notice the same two bidders again running up the auction, e**r (549) and e**3 (229). Except congrats to our friend e**3 who looks like he won this one for a new GPA shattering $1875. :applause:

By now the damage has been done to GPA and the market believes that this books is suddenly now "worth" $1800+.

Which now takes us to this still ongoing auction:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=231479894655&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Where our friends e**r* (549) and e**3 (229) are this time the only two participants. Oh, and lookie-here, it looks like e**r (229) is on track again to pay a record shattering price for an SW #1, 9.8 for the second time in two weeks. This guy must really be a fan. (thumbs u

The problem with shilling, as I have said before and it bears repeating, is not only that it artificially drives up the price for legitimate buyers, but it also creates a false demand for a book, which in turn can cause panic buying amongst bandwagon collectors. This however can only sustain "value" on a book in the short term. This is what we are seeing now. From my cursory analysis of the above auctions, I see extreme anomalies in the bidding and pricing on this book, that certainly warrant it a "buyer beware".

-J.

How is any of this "shilling"? (shrug)

There is no explanation.

Actually, yes there is.

Wait for it........

SHILLING!! lol

I agree that with the release of the new comic and the new movies on the way, "some" increase in value and interest is to be expected.

But how much validity can truly be found in these new and sudden apparent price points when all three of the auctions that establish said price points are tainted by what are fairly obvious shill bidders/buyers? (shrug)

-J.

How is it obvious? I see 2 established bidders bidding. I don't see anything to make be believe either bidder is associated with any of the sellers, which is required for this to be shilling.

Edited by rjrjr

There is no explanation.

Actually, yes there is.

Wait for it........

SHILLING!! lol

-J.

How is it obvious? I see 2 established bidders bidding. I don't see anything to make be believe either bidder is associated with any of the sellers, which is required for this to be shilling.

No it isn't.

They are two bidders (or one person with two accounts) obviously conspiring with each other in EVERY SINGLE AUCTION to artificially drive up prices on this book.

Of course you are free to draw your own conclusions, regardless of how obvious the (apparently successful) attempts at market manipulation this is.

But my research and conclusions reached based on this spike in "FMV" which is derived solely from those ebay sales is that it is built on quicksand.

-J.

The market for SW #1 CGC 9.8 is legit. Aside from the boards, we sold 2 other copies as the book was trending up. Again, supply is only 1 side of the value equation. Books like NM 98, IH 181, ASM 129 and many others have taught us that. I do not have a crystal ball so I have no idea whether the books falls, stagnates or increases from this point. I, like every other dealer, buy and sell at market value in real time. Best to all, Greg

The market for SW #1 CGC 9.8 is legit. Aside from the boards, we sold 2 other copies as the book was trending up. Again, supply is only 1 side of the value equation. Books like NM 98, IH 181, ASM 129 and many others have taught us that. I do not have a crystal ball so I have no idea whether the books falls, stagnates or increases from this point. I, like every other dealer, buy and sell at market value in real time. Best to all, Greg

Greg I'm sure you know I was not implying your own sales are not legit.

My point is that the only publicly available sales data that we have are the sketchy ebay sales that are showing up on GPA that facilitated this apparent and sudden spike in "value".

And since many dealers and sellers price their items based on GPA/closed ebay sales you have a "fruit from the poisonous tree" scenario that can (and often does) create at least a temporary self-fulfilling prophecy in the perception of "value".

The problem is, when it begins this way, it does not usually end well for those who buy in at the apex of the bubble. My 2 cents.

-J.

Greg I'm sure you know I was not implying your own sales are not legit.

My point is that the only publicly available sales data that we have are the sketchy ebay sales that are showing up on GPA that facilitated this apparent and sudden spike in "value".

And since many dealers and sellers price their items based on GPA/closed ebay sales you have a "fruit from the poisonous tree" scenario that can (and often does) create at least a temporary self-fulfilling prophecy in the perception of "value".

The problem is, when it begins this way, it does not usually end well for those who buy in at the apex of the bubble. My 2 cents.

-J.

Understood. I was just supplying additional information that there are more than a handful of folks interested in this book at this new price level. No doubt, there are nefarious buyers (and sellers) everywhere but their ability to manipulate the market is usually very, very short lived. Again, while I don't know what the future holds for SW #1 CGC 9.8's my bet would be they will at least hold their gains in the immediate future. But , of course, who knows :) Take care all.

I can see huge bucks for 9.8s #1 and the cover price variant. It is not just the first issue of a comic about a movie, it predated the movie. Star Wars collectors, and there are many of them, who have NO interest in comics in general who have the dough will want this and pay for it.

If Walking Dead 1 9.8s can be approaching $2K there is no reason an almost 40 year old comic can't. SW 1 may have had 50X the print-run, but there is no way there are more 9.8s in the wild than WD #1.

Edited by the blob

Well the most recent auction ended without any bids from any regular bidders, and we now have two of the last auctions at this new inflated price point decided by the same two bidders and "won" by the same guy.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=231479894655&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Whether one believes this guy and his friend are just rabid fans trying to buy up all the copies of the same book for some reason at the most expensive prices possible, or these are phony "buyers" trying to run up auctions to spike GPA, I for one, wouldn't participate in any auctions with either one of them bidding in it, and I would look at this new apparent price point with a very skeptical eye.

-J.

I can see huge bucks for 9.8s #1 and the cover price variant. It is not just the first issue of a comic about a movie, it predated the movie. Star Wars collectors, and there are many of them, who have NO interest in comics in general who have the dough will want this and pay for it.

If Walking Dead 1 9.8s can be approaching $2K there is no reason an almost 40 year old comic can't. SW 1 may have had 50X the print-run, but there is no way there are more 9.8s in the wild than WD #1.

Maybe the worst false analogy ever.