• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2023 at 8:34 PM, All-Star Squadman said:

Solid thinking!

Drafting my letter of resignation now; "Later Sucker's, I have pages from SSS#1 to fund my retirement on a Pacific Tropical Island"

image.thumb.jpeg.fadc8fa0359333723e0286cf3ba11d3b.jpeg

is that the first appearance of Amadeus Cho as well?!?!? 

image.png.48c3688286181c2e265483749b34b376.png

Edited by AGGIEZ

On 2/10/2023 at 12:45 PM, letsgrumble said:

Iron Man #80. Two 9.8 copies on the census; first recorded sale Feb. 8th hits $1,602.00. This might be the first 9.8 copy to market. Congrats @NewWorldOrder BTW.

s-l1600-2.thumb.jpg.d3a18ec2303651883386fb9916803328.jpg

I've been sitting on this "9.8 potential" book for a while and was planning to submit one of these days. Referencing the comments above, would you predict 1/5th value if one or two more copies are brought to market?

Regardless, one of my all-time favourite covers!

IMG_4026.thumb.JPG.1e83e91ef249dca32a275ffc9887ad16.JPG

1/5 when additional 4-5 hit market 1-2 more to halve value.  Exact equation, certainly not, but probably correct more times than its wrong. Although 1/5  might be  a bit too low in this case. 

Of course if a resale is attempted before additional hit market it may be very nice profit for seller.

BTW this does not apply to DC except possible some rare outliers. Example the 1969 Oakland WW in my signature is 1/2 in 9.8 and I'd be supremely lucky to get even a few hundred for it.   I mean if Wonder Woman does not have run collectors then little hope for Bronze non-Batman and possibly non-Swamp Thing DC.

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/10/2023 at 9:45 AM, letsgrumble said:

Iron Man #80. Two 9.8 copies on the census; first recorded sale Feb. 8th hits $1,602.00. This might be the first 9.8 copy to market. Congrats @NewWorldOrder BTW.

I've been sitting on this "9.8 potential" book for a while and was planning to submit one of these days. Referencing the comments above, would you predict 1/5th value if one or two more copies are brought to market?

I always liked this cover! Iron Man title is severely underrated

On 2/10/2023 at 12:45 PM, letsgrumble said:

The catch with submitting this now is that you might have to pay the higher fee for a high-value book, if it's a 9.8. But the additional 9.8 lowers the value.

I typed up a stupid post, hit Submit Reply and it vanished in a puff of smoke.

Grudgingly, because it was a stupid post to begin with, I re-typed it and hit Submit Reply. Same story

i feel certain that sometime within the next twelve hours, both posts will suddenly appear and I will look doubly stupid for writing something stupid and then posting it twice.

CGC, why you gotta do me like that?

On 2/12/2023 at 10:25 AM, Off Panel said:

Grudgingly, because it was a stupid post to begin with, I re-typed it and hit Submit Reply. Same story

i feel certain that sometime within the next twelve hours, both posts will suddenly appear and I will look doubly stupid for writing something stupid and then posting it twice.

Write it all again on a piece of paper, then take a selfie of yourself holding it and upload that.  That will preserve the stupidity and link it to you online forever.

On 2/12/2023 at 10:25 AM, Off Panel said:

I think the page refreshes automatically or something, and anything not submitted "in time" is lost...but sometimes it will show up when you try to reply again. I copy most of my posts now, just in case.

On 2/12/2023 at 1:31 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Write it all again on a piece of paper, then take a selfie of yourself holding it and upload that.  That will preserve the stupidity and link it to you online forever.

I know that "laughing out loud" is a thing that people say online, but I genuinely guffawed at this.

On 2/10/2023 at 9:45 AM, letsgrumble said:

Thanks for jinxing me.....

s-l1600.jpg

Worst handing of USPS Express I have ever seen.  Only went from CA to Vegas.

Oh joy and my Eagles lost the Superbowl last night.

On 2/13/2023 at 4:29 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

s-l1600.jpg

Good grief :tonofbricks:

Insured for $1600 I hope :wishluck:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

s-l1600.jpg

Absolutely horrible. That, and the call on Bradbury.

:eek:

$650 which is only $160 less than  #1 in same condition.  Not a 1st appearance and population of 29. Am i missing something? Or just a Great 70s Kirby cover getting some deserved love?

Congrats To NewWorldOrdr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115698206950?hash=item1af02688e6:g:HK4AAOSwquhj4Z2W
s-l1600.jpg

P.S.

My 1998 $11.50 purchase from the old Showcase NE. Self submitted last Oct.  Back when I picked it up I thought #8 was first Union Jack. That night looking Overstreet I saw it was #7. Next day at the Con picked that up from them as well. It received a 9.8 when I submitted it last year. To think how great the Invaders Run could have been if most of the issues featured even B artists....

image.thumb.jpeg.dc75666bfc7970a41d50697bf11bc6db.jpeg

Regarding the Damage to the IM 80 - Unbelievably sad.  You could beat on the slab with claw hammer and it might receive less damage.

Edited by MAR1979

I'm curious to understand more about the Bronze 9.8s being collected above ... is this part of assembling a 9.8 run?  If so, are you comfortable sharing what your goal / end state is?

I always enjoy hearing what colleting goals others are pursuing.  (For the record, I don't collect books from this period in 9.8, so I don't pose any competition!)

On 2/13/2023 at 5:31 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Congrats, you're officially a boardy now.

Issuing out some dry sardonic wit, is the final step.    You loose the title of Anakin, you are now ready to enter the arena, and truly test thy self.... the 'comics general' section awaits if you dare!!!! 

Edited by Microchip

On 2/11/2023 at 2:07 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Thanks!  It was a great sale! :takeit:

Buyer paid right away (plus he won another CGC as well) and they are both on the way to his residence.

Arrghh...my number one grail! 

s-l1600.jpg

So it was packed well, they just abused it? I'd probably cut masonite for a $1500 book along with bubble wrap, etc.

On 2/12/2023 at 8:25 AM, Off Panel said:

I've started copying my posts or PMs that are on the long side just in case they disappear.  It seems to happen quite often, especially in PMs.