• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

I have the Invaders run for three reasons.....very cheap to acquire (or were when I did 5 years ago), great covers and solid stories. Robbins art does taint the whole experience which could have been regarded as one of Marvel's best from that time, yet sadly the interiors are always a letdown. Apologies to Frank and his fans but not my cup of tea, I am sorry. But not bad enough to warrant not collecting!

On 4/8/2023 at 9:16 AM, Zonker said:

(thumbsu I've previously blamed Robbins' Marvel work on their selection of inkers, but I think you're probably closer to the truth in laying it at Robbins' attempt to mimic the rough-and-tumble Kirby approach.  His DC work of a few years previous was much easier on the eyes: Of course, it helped that there he was drawing such pulp and film noir-ish characters as Batman and The Shadow.  (But at the same time, he was at the distinct disadvantage of having his issues sandwiched between those drawn by the likes of Neal Adams and Mike Kaluta!  doh!)

frankrobbinsBat.thumb.jpg.6bc0e1c29f17c280c0af4d7c7d99f413.jpg

Screenshot_20230412_214103_Google.jpg.c6151fd00588eb65495a616cebc36d29.jpg

On 4/17/2023 at 2:51 PM, Brock said:

I just added a DC Whitman to my registry set that cost me close to $200 and got me 1 point. Do the Marvel price variants work the same way?

The 2.0 Kid Colt Outlaw 219 that I sold on the boards for $800 says hello.

On 5/30/2023 at 1:41 AM, littledoom said:

Comics in general are not hot right now 

Yep...gets ready for a looooong decade.  Bigger the bubble the more widespread the burst.

Now we get to see who actually possess true business accumen and who dont. Hint cash flow is king!

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/30/2023 at 8:36 AM, MAR1979 said:

Yep...gets ready for a looooong decade.  Bigger the bubble the more widespread the burst.

Now we get to see who actually possess true business accumen and who dont. Hint cash flow is king!

You sound like the Iron Sheik.  Are we going to find out who the real and who the jabroni?

On 5/30/2023 at 8:36 AM, MAR1979 said:

You have mentioned this a bunch of times but I’m not sure I understand the sentiment. If it’s your full time job then I agree cash flow keeps food in your belly but why do you believe cash flow is so critical for part time sellers?  Diversification seems to be way more critical in this current environment from what I’m seeing (ie getting your books seen by as many people as possible).  Selling books at rock bottom prices just to have money to buy books that continue to drop in price doesn’t compute to me unless you can find someone blowing out a collection or a widow.  Becoming a museum on eBay isn’t a great way to go either but explain why you think having cash in hand during a falling knife situation is key?

On 5/30/2023 at 2:03 PM, 1Cool said:

You have mentioned this a bunch of times but I’m not sure I understand the sentiment. If it’s your full time job then I agree cash flow keeps food in your belly but why do you believe cash flow is so critical for part time sellers?  Diversification seems to be way more critical in this current environment from what I’m seeing (ie getting your books seen by as many people as possible).  Selling books at rock bottom prices just to have money to buy books that continue to drop in price doesn’t compute to me unless you can find someone blowing out a collection or a widow.  Becoming a museum on eBay isn’t a great way to go either but explain why you think having cash in hand during a falling knife situation is key?

Constant inbound Cash flow is never bad. 

If you also suggesting sellers wait for next bubble?  Hope they are young enough to make it.  There wont be a V recovery for comics nor trading cards markets across the board. Could be 1-3 decades before seemingly every book or card is warm or hot at same time - aka a bubble. Films ain't coming to the rescue either, expect smaller bumps with shortened hot durations and reduced levels of inbound greenhorns with more dollars than sense.

For those who selling is just a side gig or a hobby and don't need funds ok fine, but still ain't solid business skill. Nor to them does it need to be.

Those with true business acumen  adapt and do well in almost any market, i guess we'll see how many of them are real Comic dealers. 

Re: Price drops; if to pre pandemic prices on many books, but certainly not all, is not a falling knife, more like restoration of order IMHO

P.S. I could be totally wrong about cash flow of course, however I've got the basic rules of operating cash flow on my side :) . I believe rule 1 is never run out of cash

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/30/2023 at 5:56 PM, MAR1979 said:

Constant inbound Cash flow is never bad. 

A lot of questionable things get said on these boards. We know this one hasn't been true since Amatino Manucci introduced double entry bookkeeping in the year 1299.

When is the next Hot Movies I don't really know as I don't pay attention . I chased Comics for 18 years and with no real time to list them and only trying to get my money back has been my reward these last 3 years as its fun going thru stuff and listing it since I walked away from my job 3 years and 3 months ago. Cash is King for sure , although I like me Silver :juggle: