• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

On 4/8/2023 at 11:21 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

Frank Robbins was a fine artist. The problem with his work was when he attempted to conform it to "Marvel-style" (basically Kirby style) with it's exaggerated kinetic energy. Trying to get through those books is a chore for me, they're pretty much unreadable. His own style, which was reminiscent of folks like Milt Caniff, didn't utilize those weird distortions. I have no problem with Johnny Hazard for example.

(thumbsu I've previously blamed Robbins' Marvel work on their selection of inkers, but I think you're probably closer to the truth in laying it at Robbins' attempt to mimic the rough-and-tumble Kirby approach.  His DC work of a few years previous was much easier on the eyes: Of course, it helped that there he was drawing such pulp and film noir-ish characters as Batman and The Shadow.  (But at the same time, he was at the distinct disadvantage of having his issues sandwiched between those drawn by the likes of Neal Adams and Mike Kaluta!  doh!)

frankrobbinsBat.thumb.jpg.6bc0e1c29f17c280c0af4d7c7d99f413.jpg

On 4/8/2023 at 11:21 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

Frank Robbins was a fine artist. The problem with his work was when he attempted to conform it to "Marvel-style" (basically Kirby style) with it's exaggerated kinetic energy. Trying to get through those books is a chore for me, they're pretty much unreadable. His own style, which was reminiscent of folks like Milt Caniff, didn't utilize those weird distortions. I have no problem with Johnny Hazard for example.

johnnyh02.jpg

Some of Barry Smiths early work was pretty horrible when he tried to mimic Kirby also.  Crazy distortions. DD 52, X-men 53 are good examples. Allowed to express himself with Conan and beyond he is amazing.

On 4/9/2023 at 10:27 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m sorry, but Robbins ruined Captain America for me as a kid.   Just awful.

I’m amazed people have actually read Invaders  comics :sick:

If Invaders had even B artists for most of its run perhaps it would have been a top tier title?

Nothing against Robbins but I prefer my comic book heroes not to look like junkies jonesing for a hit

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/10/2023 at 6:06 AM, ThothAmon said:

Do tell?  Unless you’re referring to their fees and potential for schill bidding I’m not sure what you mean. 

I'm just not interested in selling slabbed books on ebay because of all the stories I've heard, including scam artists who do the switcher-roo or claim non delivery, picky buyers who can return or ask for a discount if they don't agree with CGC grade. Plus we all know ebay generally sides with buyers unless one has a strong defense. I have no problem selling raw low value books because even if there is a problem my investment is minimal.

On 4/10/2023 at 2:14 PM, comic_memories said:

Key Marvel 70's monsters are still in demand.

GIANT-SIZE CHILLERS #1 CGC(9.6) (6/74) WHITE PAGES “FIRST APPEARANCE OF LILITH” | eBay

s-l500.jpg

I may be thinking of another book but I recalll 9.4s selling for 600 last year? If so 9.6 at 716 seems like a bit of a drop

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/10/2023 at 3:33 PM, batmiesta said:

I think you are correct,  I seem to recall this book going for $1000+ .

No doubt.  Too lazy to look up the numbers, but just from what I see anecdotally I would say this particular book is quite easy to find, in notably greater supply than other Giant-Size books.

On 4/9/2023 at 9:27 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m sorry, but Robbins ruined Captain America for me as a kid.   Just awful.

I’m amazed people have actually read Invaders  comics :sick:

Yep. I remember opening that first one that he did, still.

It was horrible.

I get the anguished look on that DD page posted earlier.

It's pretty clear that both of his ankles are broken.

On 4/10/2023 at 5:29 PM, sledgehammer said:

Yep. I remember opening that first one that he did, still.

It was horrible.

I get the anguished look on that DD page posted earlier.

It's pretty clear that both of his ankles are broken.

I was maybe 10 when I was buying back issues of Cap from a local collector who was selling off his runs.  I’d buy as many issues as I could afford each time(was buying FF too) in sequence so I could read as I go.   As you said, that first Robbins art....

Just....crushed the Cap fan in me.  Dropped the title and never looked back.

On 4/10/2023 at 2:33 PM, batmiesta said:

I think you are correct,  I seem to recall this book going for $1000+ .

Yeah I have a 9.6 of that book and it was pushing 1200 a year ago.  

On 4/10/2023 at 5:21 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

No doubt.  Too lazy to look up the numbers, but just from what I see anecdotally I would say this particular book is quite easy to find, in notably greater supply than other Giant-Size books.

Your right, 838 copies graded so far. (Someone probably had a large stash of these) It easily beats submissions of other 1974 Giant-Size first issues such as Giant-Size Spider-Man with only 380 submitted. It sells well.

Seems we agree on:

- GS Chillers in 9.6 is below room temp on eBay

- Not fans of Robbins' Marvel work in which Heroes look like heroin addicts in the midst of going cold turkey

I think the fact these have been the main topics of conversation for a while proves a cold market

Edited by MAR1979