• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

On 6/14/2023 at 6:55 PM, Browns81 said:

I think it’s a safe bet X-Men will see a major bump when they’re finally introduced in the MCU, but any key you want from them is already super expensive as is and widely known.

Since we're in the Bronze forum, I agree that that will be the case for books of that era, but I wouldn't be surprised if the MCU finds something interesting to do with a more obscure character (there are a ton to pick from in the Modern age) that causes a surprising spike.

On 6/14/2023 at 6:51 PM, 1Cool said:

I’d have agreed with you 100% a year ago but right now I’m not so sure.  I think it really depends on how good the marvel X-Men movies are.  The appearance of Reed Richards in Doctor Strange being such a dude has me concerned with anything coming in the future (in terms of spec books).

The difference is that the FF is already starting from being overpriced relative to their popularity now. Since 2021 the only people buying FF back issues from me at shows are older than me (48) and that has been the story for a while now. Younger collectors want Spidey/Venom/Carnage or X-Men related properties. 

On 6/15/2023 at 12:17 AM, kimik said:

The difference is that the FF is already starting from being overpriced relative to their popularity now. Since 2021 the only people buying FF back issues from me at shows are older than me (48) and that has been the story for a while now. Younger collectors want Spidey/Venom/Carnage or X-Men related properties. 

There aren't nearly enough Ben Grimm plushies and pajamas.  And I'm only a little kidding.

image.thumb.png.ef0edd1129962ea4bb77bfd83b64cb7d.png

Low print run last issue, black background and sort of classic cover but ow/w and direct sale copy, sells for more than double the going rate #1.  Heating up or anomalous outlier?

Full disclosure I have a newsstand 9.8W copy. As a child in 1983-1984 the book was an inside joke for me and a couple of friends

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/23/2023 at 6:09 PM, MAR1979 said:

image.thumb.png.ef0edd1129962ea4bb77bfd83b64cb7d.png

Low print run last issue, black background and sort of classic cover but ow/w and direct sale copy, sells for more than double the going rate #1.  Heating up or anomalous outlier?

Full disclosure I have a newsstand 9.8W copy. As a child in 1983-1984 the book was an inside joke for me and a couple of friends

It is pretty funny and double size! 

I think it can be more fun and not always easy to find a last issue in high grade. Definitely less exist then the first issue. More of these will now turn up in the months ahead and if they dont it might just be heating up even more.  That's a hefty sale for a non-key. 

On 7/25/2023 at 11:48 AM, comic_memories said:

It is pretty funny and double size! 

I think it can be more fun and not always easy to find a last issue in high grade. Definitely less exist then the first issue. More of these will now turn up in the months ahead and if they dont it might just be heating up even more.  That's a hefty sale for a non-key. 

My understanding was #25 was the most sought-after after issue #1. I might not call it a key per se, but it is an issue that people gravitate toward.

On 7/25/2023 at 1:36 PM, PeterPark said:

My understanding was #25 was the most sought-after after issue #1. I might not call it a key per se, but it is an issue that people gravitate toward.

17 in 9.8 on census compared to a gazillion of #1.

When I picked mine up there were only 9 IIRC

I do recall the issue selling in the 450-600 range but that was in the middle of the bubble. Double that for now for ow/w direct sale -- I'm a bit skeptical, but still it's rather plausible

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/15/2023 at 11:10 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

There aren't nearly enough Ben Grimm plushies and pajamas.  And I'm only a little kidding.

The Thing is the only loveable character in that group

On 6/12/2023 at 12:05 PM, 1Cool said:

Really hard to tell since there has really only been 1 copy sold in 3 weeks but that copy sold dirt cheap.  Yet another spec book you better hope you were not stuck with.

I paid 25 cents for mine, so not a huge loss. A few weeks ago I vowed to start selling again. I promptly tore my achiles and not only can i not move boxes of books around, I cannot even get up to the floor in my house where I keep them. And now my 18 year old son/box carrier/lifter person is going to college in less than a month. I am skrewed. The 11 year old is not ready to do my heavy lifting, he only works his video game muscles.

On 7/26/2023 at 5:50 PM, the blob said:

The Thing is the only loveable character in that group

Hard to argue with this, though I believe in the hands of a good writer there's a lot you can do with Sue (not just the superpowers part, the relatability part).  Reed's character works best in those moments where he finally shows emotion and vulnerability, centered on his overwhelming love of his family and the crushing weight of his responsibility.

On 9/8/2023 at 12:07 PM, comic_memories said:

Figures, I have #81

Looking at the bids it was only 2 who figured no one else would go that high. Each of them was wrong. Next one for sale will drop in cost by 50-60%

Edited by MAR1979