• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

On 4/8/2023 at 4:21 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

Frank Robbins was a fine artist. The problem with his work was when he attempted to conform it to "Marvel-style" (basically Kirby style) with it's exaggerated kinetic energy. Trying to get through those books is a chore for me, they're pretty much unreadable. His own style, which was reminiscent of folks like Milt Caniff, didn't utilize those weird distortions. I have no problem with Johnny Hazard for example.

johnnyh02.jpg

I agree. I like the Caniff styling, but Robbins was clearly drawing well beyond his comfort zone and level of experience at Marvel, and showing that the use of extreme, forced perspective actually requires a lot of skill to pull off successfully.  Kirby had decades behind him at the same point.  Also, Robbins’ default style, shown above, was more suited to darker, grittier noir material, as with his work on the Batman and The Shadow, or DC horror stories, and simply lacked Kirby’s highly-developed energy and excitement.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/11/2023 at 6:10 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I have the Invaders run for three reasons.....very cheap to acquire (or were when I did 5 years ago), great covers and solid stories. Robbins art does taint the whole experience which could have been regarded as one of Marvel's best from that time, yet sadly the interiors are always a letdown. Apologies to Frank and his fans but not my cup of tea, I am sorry. But not bad enough to warrant not collecting!

Some of Roy Thomas’ stories were good, but I’ve always preferred his retro, JSA-related work.

Edited by Ken Aldred

As a Quasar fan, interested to see if Captain America 217 has tanked hard after GOTG 3?

I recall at one stage a few years ago seeing 9.4 raws at $300 or so.

On 6/11/2023 at 9:41 PM, Ken Aldred said:

As a Quasar fan, interested to see if Captain America 217 has tanked hard after GOTG 3?

Never understood the hype on that book.

I think the bigger question should be about Warlock keys, because he was actually in GOTG 3 and used as a throwaway character.  Definitely not set up to be a central figure in whatever is next in Phase 5.

On 6/11/2023 at 9:41 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Really hard to tell since there has really only been 1 copy sold in 3 weeks but that copy sold dirt cheap.  Yet another spec book you better hope you were not stuck with.

On 6/12/2023 at 10:37 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:
On 6/11/2023 at 8:41 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Never understood the hype on that book.

I think the bigger question should be about Warlock keys, because he was actually in GOTG 3 and used as a throwaway character.  Definitely not set up to be a central figure in whatever is next in Phase 5.

I thought the key for that was a hulk issue? #344 or #354 or something 

On 6/12/2023 at 6:53 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ah it's #234 and it took has gone down

That’s right. The story was 233 to 234 during which he changed from Marvel Man to Quasar.

I recall, back in the time of rampant film speculation here, threads would be started asking for boardies to advise about a certain character and then you’d often see a more-or-less immediate strip-mining of high grade copies online.  I wasn’t at all into the boiler room frenzy associated with that period, but there was a thread about Quasar and how he was a ‘poor man’s’ version of some character, possibly Green Lantern? (Can’t remember exactly, ‘I’ve slept since then’.)  As he’s one of my favourite characters, I understandably wasn’t too happy about the denigration. Soon after that you saw a run on copies, one or two at around the NM $300 mark.

Speculators mining the boards for direction and information, not readers who might otherwise have seen the character used only briefly in the Annihilation Saga during its short Nova series, before Phylla-Vell becomes the GOTG’s version of Quasar.  Crushing, film version disappointment could’ve been avoided as well. As much as I would’ve liked to see the original character, James Gunn’s decision does make perfect sense. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/12/2023 at 2:10 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I recall, back in the time of rampant film speculation here, threads would be started asking for boardies to advise about a certain character and then you’d often see a more-or-less immediate strip-mining of high grade copies online.  I wasn’t at all into the boiler room frenzy associated with that period, but there was a thread about Quasar and how he was a ‘poor man’s’ version of some character, possibly Green Lantern? (Can’t remember exactly, ‘I’ve slept since then’.)  As he’s one of my favourite characters, I understandably wasn’t too happy about the denigration. Soon after that you saw a run on copies, one or two at around the NM $300 mark.

Speculators mining the boards for direction and information, not readers who might otherwise have seen the character used only briefly in the Annihilation Saga during its short Nova series, before Phylla-Vell becomes the GOTG’s version of Quasar.  Crushing, film version disappointment could’ve been avoided as well. As much as I would’ve liked to see the original character, James Gunn’s decision does make perfect sense. 

Mining comic stories doesn't amount to much anymore for Marvel. They change the story and / or and bring in new characters that have never been in 60 years of source material. Heck, were GotG anything before the movies? Not really, at least not the movie team.

On 6/13/2023 at 6:41 PM, ygogolak said:

Mining comic stories doesn't amount to much anymore for Marvel. They change the story and / or and bring in new characters that have never been in 60 years of source material. Heck, were GotG anything before the movies? Not really, at least not the movie team.

They didn’t do anything much with the original team, with the exception of Yondu.

For me, they even found a more interesting replacement for Vance Astro, a run-of-the-mill, time-displaced telekinetic, with Cosmo the telekinetic / telepathic Space Dog. Again, a character that originated during the Annihilation Saga in the main Nova series. 

On 6/12/2023 at 1:54 PM, Ken Aldred said:

That’s right. The story was 233 to 234 during which he changed from Marvel Man to Quasar.

Yep. In 234 was only in 2 panels as I recall he states call him "Quasar"  - don't get why that commands extra scratch over #233.

"Marvel Man" may have been a dopey name but Quasar back in 1979 was an old CRT TV set :)

Incredible Hulk 233 p23 (1978)  Marvel Man is a dopey name  Comic Art

Edited by All-Star Squadman

On 6/13/2023 at 8:59 PM, Ken Aldred said:

They didn’t do anything much with the original team, with the exception of Yondu.

For me, they even found a more interesting replacement for Vance Astro, a run-of-the-mill, time-displaced telekinetic, with Cosmo the telekinetic / telepathic Space Dog. Again, a character that originated during the Annihilation Saga in the main Nova series. 

I'm saying in relation to the movies. I was replying to your comment about speculation for characters they may come to light in media.

On 6/14/2023 at 10:21 PM, ygogolak said:

I'm saying in relation to the movies. I was replying to your comment about speculation for characters they may come to light in media.

I agree either way with you, about the perils of speculating on characters, in comics or movies.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/2/2023 at 12:04 PM, 1Cool said:

Movie hype causing massive spikes in a ton of books appears to be dead and buried and unfortunately I don't see it getting resurrected anytime (if ever) soon.  Great time to be a patient buyer right now for 99% of books - enjoy!

I think it’s a safe bet X-Men will see a major bump when they’re finally introduced in the MCU, but any key you want from them is already super expensive as is and widely known.

On 6/14/2023 at 6:55 PM, Browns81 said:

I think it’s a safe bet X-Men will see a major bump when they’re finally introduced in the MCU, but any key you want from them is already super expensive as is and widely known.

I’d have agreed with you 100% a year ago but right now I’m not so sure.  I think it really depends on how good the marvel X-Men movies are.  The appearance of Reed Richards in Doctor Strange being such a dude has me concerned with anything coming in the future (in terms of spec books).