• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The next phase obviously has to step things back a bit after Endgame. If you keep on upping the stakes of the action then that doesn't leave a ton of room for character development.

I'm not overly concerned about the action.   But losing Downey Jr., Chris Evans, and the unfortunate passing of Boseman, they lose a lot of fan favorites.   Then we are rolling out some sub-tier characters (Shang Chi, the Eternals), that many non comic junkies may just shrug their shoulders. 

55 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I'm not overly concerned about the action.   But losing Downey Jr., Chris Evans, and the unfortunate passing of Boseman, they lose a lot of fan favorites.   Then we are rolling out some sub-tier characters (Shang Chi, the Eternals), that many non comic junkies may just shrug their shoulders. 

There's never really a comeback to, what about Guardians?

10 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Spiderman 

11 hours ago, bb8 said:

Iron Man was never that popular before the movies.

I think RDJ, totally injected a whole new legitimacy into Iron Man both in comics and the movies. You can't underestimate proper typecasting.  

9 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I think RDJ, totally injected a whole new legitimacy into Iron Man both in comics and the movies. You can't underestimate proper typecasting.  

You've hit one of the two big keys explaining the MCU's tremendous success.  With only a couple of exceptions, the casting has been really phenomenal.  The other big key - good writing - has also been almost all hit and very few misses.

40 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

You're not going to play the Bob Layton card are you ? :cloud9: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I would give that credit to Michelinie :baiting:But the Layton/Romita Jr pictures were purty, too.

The movies took Iron Man’s popularity to a new level, it’s true, but while he wasn’t Spider-Man before them, he wasn’t Ant-Man or the Guardians either.

And I agree that the casting and writing made MCU Iron Man a backbone character for the movies, but he is not spot-on to classic comic book Tony Stark, which turned out to be a good thing. The MCU Stark shades a little more heavily to the arrogant; more like Hal Jordan in the comics. But that change was a net positive for the character if you set purism/comic book canon aside. The Stark personality tweak/amped aspect of arrogance gave them the emotional foil for Cap, and by the end of the arc, we have more of a “true hero” Iron Man than an arrogant one. In some way, they sort of lifted aspects of the silver age relationship between Cap and Hawkeye, where an arrogant, young Clint “grew up” through a stormy but respectful relationship with Cap.

The “worst” of it is Renner’s Hawkeye was a pretty empty personality in the movies, but that slight extra edge to Stark’s personality made the big 3 of the Avengers work for the MCU; one subtle change with big positive movie results — an even better Iron Man that was still about 90-95% spot on to the classic flavor of the character.

6 hours ago, Readcomix said:

The MCU Stark shades a little more heavily to the arrogant; more like Hal Jordan in the comics. But that change was a net positive for the character if you set purism/comic book canon aside.

It seemed to me that the writers were setting him up for an alcoholism/redemption arc, at least in the first movie, and then they went a different route. The arrogance was that of an addict, and then it just became a personality flaw.

On 7/4/2021 at 1:43 PM, bb8 said:

Ant-Man is pretty D-list, too. And, let's be honest, Iron Man was never that popular before the movies.

Iron Man was one of only a few Marvel characters to have a consistently published monthly title since the '60s. Spider-man, Captain America, and the Hulk were the only other characters in that group that you probably can't argue were less popular than Iron Man (although since the movies, Hulk may have slipped slightly below). The only other character in that category is Daredevil. Change it to "since the '80s" and you're only adding Wolverine to the group. (Thor had a hiatus during Heroes Reborn.)