• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, mcduckz said:

Glad I held onto all 75 issues and all high grade.  One of my favorite books by one of my favorite writers.   Glad to see it is finally getting more attention even if it took a Netflix deal to spur it along

I would definitely hold onto that for a lot longer! A series that like Invincible was quality crafted well before show development  

On 5/27/2021 at 10:02 PM, valiantman said:

Sandman #8 Berger Editorial Variant could jump by 1000% and it still might not bring many to the market.  Less than 85 copies CGC graded, just four sales recorded on GPA in the past 18 months, and zero sales in the last 9 months... in any CGC grade.

That book could be $20,000+ and there might still be fewer than 10 sales a year.

Last GPA buy was actually me last August. The only reason I landed it was I happened to be on ebay as soon as it listed shopping for a regular Sandman 8. I jumped on it so fast I forgot to check out from mycomicshop instead to save some $.

Since then, I managed to track down a couple other copies and tried to make a run at them. Above market offers didn't matter- they weren't interested in selling.

48 minutes ago, kimik said:

A couple of years ago I snagged a Sandman #1-75 run for $80. The #1 is signed by Gaiman and either McKean or Keith from a show in the late 90s (I can't recall). Might be time to pull them out and look at listing the set.

Dibs?

On 5/29/2021 at 11:04 AM, fastballspecial said:
On 5/26/2021 at 1:02 PM, F For Fake said:

Agree completely. Most folks always point to Jim Lee as the copper/modern X-Men artist, but Silvestri set the table for him, for sure. Hugely influential artist.

I am going to disagree. I dont think Silvestri got good until he left for Cyberforce. His X-men art was maybe a little better then average. 

Now his second run on X-men was fantastic. 

I’m going to agree with your disagreement.  There was nothing terribly appealing about Silvestri on Wolverine or Web, until he adopted some of the trending stylistic cues from Lee and McFarlane and tightened up his pencils.

4 hours ago, 500Club said:
On 5/29/2021 at 10:04 AM, fastballspecial said:
On 5/26/2021 at 12:02 PM, F For Fake said:

Agree completely. Most folks always point to Jim Lee as the copper/modern X-Men artist, but Silvestri set the table for him, for sure. Hugely influential artist.

I am going to disagree. I dont think Silvestri got good until he left for Cyberforce. His X-men art was maybe a little better then average. 

Now his second run on X-men was fantastic. 

I’m going to agree with your disagreement.  There was nothing terribly appealing about Silvestri on Wolverine or Web, until he adopted some of the trending stylistic cues from Lee and McFarlane and tightened up his pencils.

Silvestri who??? :bigsmile:

On 5/27/2021 at 7:02 PM, valiantman said:

Sandman #8 Berger Editorial Variant could jump by 1000% and it still might not bring many to the market.  Less than 85 copies CGC graded, just four sales recorded on GPA in the past 18 months, and zero sales in the last 9 months... in any CGC grade.

That book could be $20,000+ and there might still be fewer than 10 sales a year.

Which may be true, but ultimately very "silly" :foryou: (unless you are one of the lucky sellers) That's the Royal "you" btw . . .

13 minutes ago, divad said:
On 5/27/2021 at 9:02 PM, valiantman said:

Expand  

Which may be true, but ultimately very "silly" :foryou: (unless you are one of the lucky sellers) That's the Royal "you" btw . . .

Sounds a lot like this one. :gossip:

I get what you're saying, but frankly, it's a meaningless variant in the grand scope of things (IMHO) and ultimately, you will always need to find a buyer. One lucky boardie bought my copy many years ago in a private sale.

As to IH 181, I've bought and sold many copies, which in retrospect was a fool's paradise . . . had I held on to my sweetest copy, I'd be driving a Ferrari now, instead of re-doing my (now) 21-year old's nursery at the time. The question you have to ask yourself in the moment is, "Was it worth it?" I'd do it all over again in a NY minute :bigsmile:

6 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
6 hours ago, divad said:
On 5/27/2021 at 9:02 PM, valiantman said:

Expand  

Expand  

Sounds a lot like this one. :gossip:

There's not a lot in common between a book with less than 90 copies on the CGC census and a book with 14,000, even if the prices are similar.

25 minutes ago, valiantman said:

There's not a lot in common between a book with less than 90 copies on the CGC census and a book with 14,000, even if the prices are similar.

Two very different animals with different collecting & fan bases, IMO.

And definitely not a meaningless variant to Sandman fans - of which there are plenty.

4 hours ago, HighVoltage said:
4 hours ago, valiantman said:

And definitely not a meaningless variant to Sandman fans - of which there are plenty.

I definitely agree with both of these statements.  I was only drawing a correlation between the fact that one person said they were not worth what people were paying 20 years ago and still the price went through the roof. Which I agree that the Sandman definitely has that same potential to go WAY up in value.  20 years from now anyone who had a copy of the Sandman will look back and think why did I let it go for that.. :facepalm: 

1 hour ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
5 hours ago, HighVoltage said:
6 hours ago, valiantman said:

I definitely agree with both of these statements.  I was only drawing a correlation between the fact that one person said they were not worth what people were paying 20 years ago and still the price went through the roof. Which I agree that the Sandman definitely has that same potential to go WAY up in value.  20 years from now anyone who had a copy of the Sandman will look back and think why did I let it go for that.. :facepalm: 

Sandman #8 Berger Variant is the answer to the question "What would happen if a book as rare as the TMNT #3 NY variant also had a popular first appearance and was printed by Marvel or DC?"

It's entirely possible that the answer to that question will eventually make TMNT #3 NY variant look cheap by comparison.

16 hours ago, valiantman said:

Sandman #8 Berger Variant is the answer to the question "What would happen if a book as rare as the TMNT #3 NY variant also had a popular first appearance and was printed by Marvel or DC?"

It's entirely possible that the answer to that question will eventually make TMNT #3 NY variant look cheap by comparison.

That and the second printing of 75.

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:
17 hours ago, valiantman said:

That and the second printing of 75.

Sandman #75 2nd print doesn't meet the "popular first appearance" aspect, but it's certainly quite rare for a 1990s D.C. issue... just 42 CGC-slabbed copies so far.

Edited by valiantman

9 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Captain America 290 heated up with all that Cap 4 Sin spec.. that's a first a book I passed on many times, should have bought some.

We will see how it plays out. IMO she should have been in the Winter Soldier movie. But they really didn't follow the Brubaker story for that.