• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

I had no problem selling NM copies of 359 and 360.

362 is getting a little attention, but no where near the same. Looks like the market has spoken.

Maybe. But the market sometimes rethinks things. Not often, so 360 is probably where it's at I guess. But these things do sometimes shift.

Cap #360 to me is basically the same as Hulk #180. Except, in Hulk #180, Wolverine was actually named and had dialogue.

One way the market could change its mind is if Crossbones actually becomes popular to the point where the people buying the comics are fans of the character and therefore want to read the story. I know if I was a fan of a character and bought a first appearance, I would feel pretty let down when I opened it and found three silent panels. If I buy something for a specific character, I want to read about that character! And if you want to read about Crossbones, #362 is where it's at, just as Hulk #181 is where it's at with Wolverine.

We'll see, though. As first appearances go, #360 just isn't very satisfying to me, but it's at least better than a fist punching a wall.

362 is getting a little attention, but no where near the same. Looks like the market has spoken.

Maybe. But the market sometimes rethinks things. Not often, so 360 is probably where it's at I guess. But these things do sometimes shift.

Cap #360 to me is basically the same as Hulk #180. Except, in Hulk #180, Wolverine was actually named and had dialogue.

One way the market could change its mind is if Crossbones actually becomes popular to the point where the people buying the comics are fans of the character and therefore want to read the story. I know if I was a fan of a character and bought a first appearance, I would feel pretty let down when I opened it and found three silent panels. If I buy something for a specific character, I want to read about that character! And if you want to read about Crossbones, #362 is where it's at, just as Hulk #181 is where it's at with Wolverine.

We'll see, though. As first appearances go, #360 just isn't very satisfying to me, but it's at least better than a fist punching a wall.

Man how times have changed. Rocket Raccoon, Deathstroke, freakin Crossbones?!?! I really cannot believe these Copper Age characters have become as popular as they now are?

Edited by MrWeen

+1

I have been a fan of the character for a while now, and also feel 362 is the Crossbones book to own.

I love his "The names Crossbones, darlin!" Intro scene from 362, and he's on the cover.

cross4_zpsafcf3d8b.jpg

I know the (early) market has spoken for now, but also agree that most people have not read the books and grab whatever is listed as first app on Wikipedia. I have plenty of both 360 and 362, but if I had to choose, as a fan, I would put it all on 362 in the long run as first full appearance.

Cheers!

Man how times have changed. Rocket Raccoon, Deathstroke, freakin Crossbones?!?! I really cannot believe these Copper Age characters have become as popular as they now are?

I am right there with you. Add Booster Gold as well. Crossbones is really the one character that is pretty bad besides Deathstroke. We are seeing a Copper Revival all those horders are going to make out like bandits because make no mistake none of these 1st appearances are short printed.

No, but we are not talking anywhere near the last 5-10 years of comics either.

Doesn't matter the print run really, Still is not enough NM+ copies to go around for people who want them, Look at ASM 300, It just sells and sells, no matter how many are out there. Besides, even with a good size print run, not every single copy is NM/MT.

One way the market could change its mind is if Crossbones actually becomes popular to the point where the people buying the comics are fans of the character and therefore want to read the story. I know if I was a fan of a character and bought a first appearance, I would feel pretty let down when I opened it and found three silent panels.

The problem is that people don't read comics anymore, and they just look at what's on the CGC label. And on that note, what is on the CGC label?

The major point I would concentrate on is the first cover appearance, combined with the first full appearance in 362. People like covers, as they look kewl in their plastic tombs.

One way the market could change its mind is if Crossbones actually becomes popular to the point where the people buying the comics are fans of the character and therefore want to read the story. I know if I was a fan of a character and bought a first appearance, I would feel pretty let down when I opened it and found three silent panels.

The problem is that people don't read comics anymore, and they just look at what's on the CGC label. And on that note, what is on the CGC label?

The major point I would concentrate on is the first cover appearance, combined with the first full appearance in 362. People like covers, as they look kewl in their plastic tombs.

As far as the plastic tomb company goes, 359 does not list Crossbones at all, 360 says 1st.

I am right there with you. Add Booster Gold as well. Crossbones is really the one character that is pretty bad besides Deathstroke. We are seeing a Copper Revival all those horders are going to make out like bandits because make no mistake none of these 1st appearances are short printed.

It is funny, but I find stores to be relatively poorly stocked wrt true NM- or better CA books. Sure, they have a ton of VFs, but years of being stuff in long boxes in the back with or without bags has made a lot of the Copper books I see VF/NM at best. Looking at collections, the early CA stuff tends to be in worse shape than the late 80s/early 90s books as well.

How do you know people don't read comics anymore?

i know i don't lol

He's generalizing. The numbers ARE down, but there are still readers. In fact, there's probably been a slight upswing in readers with all the movie and TV exposure. There's a core of female readers that I don't think existed ten years ago.

This being the CGC forum, though, there's probably some skew towards graded book collectors.

He's generalizing. The numbers ARE down, but there are still readers. In fact, there's probably been a slight upswing in readers with all the movie and TV exposure. There's a core of female readers that I don't think existed ten years ago.

This being the CGC forum, though, there's probably some skew towards graded book collectors.

He's not talking about modern sales or comic readers in general. He's talking about people who don't seem to have a clue about the interior content of comics they're buying, especially in slabs.

He's not talking about modern sales or comic readers in general. He's talking about people who don't seem to have a clue about the interior content of comics they're buying, especially in slabs.

I used to care about the content inside, now I just collect money

That was the point I was trying to get at - I prefer your translation. lol