• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Why November 18th i.e., such an exact date ?

He means November 20th.

:whistle:

Split the baby already . . . November 19th. :sumo:lol

lol

Is that dog still attempting to hunt, but keeps bringing back plastic flamingos?

November 18, 1992: Death of Superman hits the East Coast market. Fact!

So it's a Left Coast / Right Coast thingee? lol

Once we went over the details a number of times in that November 18th thread, I finally realized where he was coming from. In his mind, Superman 75 didn't really hit the market until it was released on the West Coast.

So I try to qualify any reference to the event by noting it started on the East Coast so there is no misunderstanding.

:grin: So kinda like this:

newyorkview.jpg

The New Yorker pretty much hit the nail on the head. I had a friend that lived in the East Village and worked in the financial district that didn't go north of 14th street for a year and a half… and didn't really feel like she was missing out on anything.

don't have any copies of the first 8 books on that list.

You don't want to know how many copies of Shadowman #8 I have.

I hope that book takes off. It'll make up for me giving away my New Mutants #98s for so little.

:cloud9:

A few months back I helped a friend go over his purchased of 19k independents (huge waste of my time, but I had some fun in doing it). Anyway, there had to be at least 30 Shadowman 8s in there. I told him these books are 'worthless', but they have value to Valiant collectors. He told me to take a bunch, I told him I already have some but convinced me to grab 5 or 7 copies, lol.

I will say this about Valiant books in the wild, the pre-unity are rarely ever in cheap boxes ($1 or less) and if they are, they are usually beat up (not bagged/boarded).

I've found a few 1st appearances here and there but they aren't as common in the wild as the rest of the books (after Unity).

When I do find copies, I've been buying them.

In terms of the pre unity Valiant books,

I think it is worth it for flippers and dealers to snag up what they can because all those books have huge potential that can outlast movie or television hype.

characters like Master Darque, Archer & Armstrong, and the Harbinger team have lots of potential becoming pop icons in the global multicultural world...

characters like Bloodshot and X-O can also work in the mainstream if they are handled with integrity and not pigeon holed into 'copies' of existing characters Iron Man and anti hero Punisher..

very exciting times indeed!

I see A&A and Darque being pretty huge a few years down the road. they resonate well..

Edited by sonicyouth

I still feel like this particular Valiant craze is going to end in the same way that the last one did. I hope that's not the case, but all of the 90's stuff was awful in my opinion. They were just bad comics.

I hope it's better this time or that everyone just chooses to ignore the over-printed 90's junk at the end of the day & focus on the rebooted present-day Valiant that is actually pretty OK. But I feel like you're going to have a lot of people left holding a lot of literally worthless paper when this particular Valiant craze dies down in a few weeks.

Man, those titles and names bring back good memories for me, even though disaster came soon thereafter for the comic industry.

But none of that really took hold in my young brain.

I just loved comics.

Most of those titles and names (1991 and early 1992) were on my MUST HAVE list when I was younger... but I couldn't afford them. :sorry:

So, I "settled" for books like Bloodshot #6, when I really wanted Magnus #5.

I would say that most people who think the Valiant books are worthless don't have any copies of the first 8 books on that list.

So, they're right... the Valiant books they have are worthless. But there are Valiant books that aren't. lol

Perhaps, just perhaps, there's a "Rule" that describes this - about something you wanted 25 years previously, that you couldn't afford back then, that you can now? You don't say.

Maybe you could call the rule - Rule of 25 or something. Never heard of it before but I'm intrigued :baiting:

I still feel like this particular Valiant craze is going to end in the same way that the last one did. I hope that's not the case, but all of the 90's stuff was awful in my opinion. They were just bad comics.

Pre-Unity Valiants were NOT bad comics. No way, no how. Writing, artwork, universe-building...all excellent.

Pre-Unity Valiants were NOT bad comics. No way, no how. Writing, artwork, universe-building...all excellent.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. They were not my bag at all. I thought they were derivative & poorly written junk with mediocre, though classic style, art & just pretty boring in general.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. They were not my bag at all. I thought they were derivative & poorly written junk with mediocre, though classic style, art & just pretty boring in general.

You'll be agreeing to disagree with lots of people who know the pre-Unity Valiant books.

I'll grant you (and have always said so) that later 1992 through 1994 Valiant books are both common and derivative, but the pre-Unity books (Valiant published before August 1992) were very good. Starting at about 1995, you might as well call them Image books. That was Acclaim's goal.

I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about, but it's clear (over the past 20 years) that MOST people who don't like Valiant have never actually read the 50 books dated from 1991 through July 1992.

You'll be agreeing to disagree with lots of people who know the pre-Unity Valiant books.

I'll grant you (and have always said so) that later 1992 through 1994 Valiant books are both common and derivative, but the pre-Unity books (Valiant published before August 1992) were very good. Starting at about 1995, you might as well call them Image books. That was Acclaim's goal.

I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about, but it's clear (over the past 20 years) that MOST people who don't like Valiant have never actually read the 50 books dated from 1991 through July 1992.

I read them. I started with Harbinger #1 and read the first 4 or 5 issues of it (and a few others, though they all tend to bleed together in my head into a smog of "meh") and didn't really have any interest. It felt like they were trying to do something but nothing about it really was terribly good IMO.

But hey, I've got no problem being in the minority opinion. I love virtually everything from the time Ellis took over Stormwatch that was published by Wildstorm until DC ****ed it all up. So I'm used to not being in the majority opinion on books.

+1

Valiant garnered attention in the first place due to the quality of the early books.

But hey, I've got no problem being in the minority opinion. I love virtually everything from the time Ellis took over Stormwatch that was published by Wildstorm until DC ****ed it all up. So I'm used to not being in the majority opinion on books.

That Ellis stuff was great. I think you'll be in the majority there.

Something made Stormwatch good? ?? ????????:o

Solar: Man of the Atom, that Shooter and BWS did and was inserted in Sola r#1-10, is one of the best comic book stories ever printed.

It is, head and shoulders, the best Valiant ever did, and stands up against other classics of the era just fine.

It is pretty breathtaking, and that it leads directly back to the first page of Solar #1 is a great device that has become the norm now, but was quite original in 1991.

Something made Stormwatch good? ?? ????????:o

Ellis made Stormwatch into something amazing, morphed it into The Authority that served as a commentary on the Justice League (and simultaneously showing how the Avengers could become the JLA) & the idea of making the world a better place.

I read them. I started with Harbinger #1 and read the first 4 or 5 issues of it (and a few others, though they all tend to bleed together in my head into a smog of "meh") and didn't really have any interest. It felt like they were trying to do something but nothing about it really was terribly good IMO.

Even as a Valiant fan I did not care for Harbinger. I know this is the series that many point to as putting Valiant on the map, but I preferred the early Solar, Magnus, and especially X-O storylines much better.

I think I tried the first 3 issues of X-O and it wasn't bad, but I couldn't really get into it. I didn't read Solar though. And I thought Magnus was OK but not interesting enough for me to really get into it that hard. Then after missing a few issues here and there, I stopped caring at all & realized that I didn't miss them & that I didn't think they were all that great to try to get caught up.

I hope it's better this time or that everyone just chooses to ignore the over-printed 90's junk at the end of the day & focus on the rebooted present-day Valiant that is actually pretty OK. But I feel like you're going to have a lot of people left holding a lot of literally worthless paper when this particular Valiant craze dies down in a few weeks.

I think that the early Valiants hold us fairly well when compared to other books at the time, although not so well when compared to books of today. I loved them when they came out, but found many problems when doing a re-read of all the pre-Unity when VEI launched. The biggest improvement in the new X-O series was making Aric seem more like a man out of time and less like the caveman that he's presented as in the original X-O.

I think I tried the first 3 issues of X-O and it wasn't bad, but I couldn't really get into it. I didn't read Solar though. And I thought Magnus was OK but not interesting enough for me to really get into it that hard. Then after missing a few issues here and there, I stopped caring at all & realized that I didn't miss them & that I didn't think they were all that great to try to get caught up.

X-O did not really take off as a read until a bit later when Aric was more involved at Orb Industries. His role in Unity was fun, especially seeing him get chomped on by a T-Rex, and the storyline picked up after he got back. (thumbs u It did get out of control towards the end, though........

Solar #1-11 is a good read, as is the pre-unity Magnus run.

The BWS Archer & Armstrong run was a fun read also. The A&A #8/EW #8 three Musketeers flip book is a classic.