• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

I still feel like this particular Valiant craze is going to end in the same way that the last one did. I hope that's not the case, but all of the 90's stuff was awful in my opinion. They were just bad comics.

Pre-Unity Valiants were NOT bad comics. No way, no how. Writing, artwork, universe-building...all excellent.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. They were not my bag at all. I thought they were derivative & poorly written junk with mediocre, though classic style, art & just pretty boring in general.

You'll be agreeing to disagree with lots of people who know the pre-Unity Valiant books.

I'll grant you (and have always said so) that later 1992 through 1994 Valiant books are both common and derivative, but the pre-Unity books (Valiant published before August 1992) were very good. Starting at about 1995, you might as well call them Image books. That was Acclaim's goal.

I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about, but it's clear (over the past 20 years) that MOST people who don't like Valiant have never actually read the 50 books dated from 1991 through July 1992.

I read them. I started with Harbinger #1 and read the first 4 or 5 issues of it (and a few others, though they all tend to bleed together in my head into a smog of "meh") and didn't really have any interest. It felt like they were trying to do something but nothing about it really was terribly good IMO.

But hey, I've got no problem being in the minority opinion. I love virtually everything from the time Ellis took over Stormwatch that was published by Wildstorm until DC ****ed it all up. So I'm used to not being in the majority opinion on books.

Even as a Valiant fan I did not care for Harbinger. I know this is the series that many point to as putting Valiant on the map, but I preferred the early Solar, Magnus, and especially X-O storylines much better.

Yup. Harbinger was the one book I did not buy. Oh boy, another teen superhero comic, yay! zzz

Book has already heated up so that's not news but does anyone know what a Booster Gold #1 95 Cent Variant Newsstand would be worth?

16581648357_ec63c1dbb3_n.jpg

That is the Canadian Price Variant ( 95¢ ) and it all depends on condition.

They are 1/10th the print run and more scarce, extremely scarce if 9.2 or higher.

A key can bring 150% to 300% premium if high grade and dependent on the key.

If mid to low grade then it would likely not bring a premium.

I think I tried the first 3 issues of X-O and it wasn't bad, but I couldn't really get into it. I didn't read Solar though. And I thought Magnus was OK but not interesting enough for me to really get into it that hard. Then after missing a few issues here and there, I stopped caring at all & realized that I didn't miss them & that I didn't think they were all that great to try to get caught up.

X-O did not really take off as a read until a bit later when Aric was more involved at Orb Industries. His role in Unity was fun, especially seeing him get chomped on by a T-Rex, and the storyline picked up after he got back. (thumbs u It did get out of control towards the end, though........

Solar #1-11 is a good read, as is the pre-unity Magnus run.

The BWS Archer & Armstrong run was a fun read also. The A&A #8/EW #8 three Musketeers flip book is a classic.

That's a wraparound cover, not a flipbook.

Book has already heated up so that's not news but does anyone know what a Booster Gold #1 95 Cent Variant Newsstand would be worth?

They are 1/10th the print run .

Hi! Is this a guess, or do you know for sure?

Well the country has 1/10th the population, so it's a fair assumption, but might even be lower.

Jim

Well the country has 1/10th the population, so it's a fair assumption, but might even be lower.

Jim

I'm not sure how scientific that is... ;)

Jim

I'm not sure how scientific that is... ;)

We need hard (skewed) data to lock on to.

It's an approximation.

Using what was mentioned earlier that the population of Canada is about 1/10th that of the USA.

It's often the rule of thumb used for Canadian Price Variants.

But I would also agree with the post earlier and believe the print run

to be less and extremely tough to find in high grade.

It's an approximation.

Using what was mentioned earlier that the population of Canada is about 1/10th that of the USA.

But as I'm sure you know, it's a complete guess. I don't imagine print runs have ever been tied, in even the most tenuous way, to general populations, or their ratios, of people.

hm

Yes, the print run was smaller than the Direct and US newsstand copies, but how much smaller isn't generally known at this time. Hopefully, that information will be revealed somewhere, somewhen. For 4-6 years of production, that information has to still exist somewhere.

It's an approximation.

But as I'm sure you know, it's a complete guess. I don't imagine print runs have ever been tied, in even the most tenuous way, to general populations, or their ratios, of people.

hm

Yes, the print run was smaller than the Direct and US newsstand copies, but how much smaller isn't generally known at this time. Hopefully, that information will be revealed somewhere, somewhen. For 4-6 years of production, that information has to still exist somewhere.

I find the Canadian priced copies phenomenon quite interesting. I suppose the main reason people are attracted to it, is because its still in Cent price format.

English pence copies of Silver age marvel books have always lagged behind their Cent priced counterparts, even though they are the exact same books printed at the same time.

Similar rarity, yet nobody cares. Owning a pence copy has always been an " I cant find a nice America copy , so this will be my filler" type of thing. This is still going on today.

Sometimes I am intrigued, other times I am confused by the fickleness of comic collecting trends.

I'm probably confused here so I'll throw this out there.

I'm Canadian and bought most of my pre-2000 comics at a US LCS so while I do have some Cdn price variants, they are all newsstand copies.

Are people assuming Canadian stores received Cdn price variants w/barcodes? I seem to recall Canadian LCS stores I visited always had direct market books (same as US) but they were bagged w/higher Cdn sticker prices. Being so close to the border this particular store may have simply been using/sharing a US Diamond account.

If my memory is accurate then Cdn price variants didn't sell in the local LCS & the 10-1 ratio, if relevant, would be in relation to US newsstand counts not total US circulation.

Can any Canadians chime in here?

There are 3 versions of mid-80s comics: Direct Market, (U.S.) Newsstand and Canadian Newsstand.

I'm not sure how or why they decided to make an extra version, but i have to assume they were printed and sold in large enough quantities to somehow be worth it.

I always thought that the direct market versions contained both the US and Canadian prices, so the Canadian price variants were necessarily only newsstand versions.
There were UK prices on DM copies as well. So was there was no UK newsstand distribution?

There are 3 versions of mid-80s comics: Direct Market, (U.S.) Newsstand and Canadian Newsstand.

I'm not sure how or why they decided to make an extra version, but i have to assume they were printed and sold in large enough quantities to somehow be worth it.

It happened in the early 80's, when the Canadian dollar fell in value enough against the US dollar to make the exchange worth the cost of printing up different versions for the (not insubstantial) Canadian newsstand market.

As you know, Canadian price editions weren't new to the comic book market; they had been around almost as long as comic books themselves had.

But, in the early 80's, it was determined at Marvel, DC, and other newsstand distributors like Archie, etc, that there was enough of a difference to print a special Canadian newsstand edition company-wide, and that's what happened.

Marvel eventually figured out by 1986 that they only had to print the Canadian price along with the US price on the newsstand copies, which DC didn't figure out until 1988 (and Archie didn't until 1990 or so?), and that would save the additional costs associated with the separate version.

Valiant books that have already heated up on eBay (specifically those with first appearances):

Magnus #5 – first appearance of Rai (a Rai trading card was included in Magnus #4)

Solar Man of the Atom #3 – first appearance of Toyo Harada and the Harbinger Foundation

Magnus #7 – first appearance of X-O armor (Commando class, earlier than X-O Manowar appearance)

Harbinger #1 – first appearance of the Harbinger renegades (kids): Peter, Kris, Charlene, Faith, Torque

X-O Manowar #1 – first appearance of X-O Manowar armor, first appearance of Aric of Dacia

X-O Manowar #4 – first (brief) appearance of Jack Boniface (becomes Shadowman)

Shadowman #1 – first (full) appearance of Jack Boniface (Shadowman)

Solar #10 – first appearance of Gilad Anni-Padda/Abrams (Eternal Warrior), first Geomancers

Archer & Armstrong #0* – first appearance of Archer & Armstrong (Obadiah Archer, Aram Anni-Padda)

Harbinger #10 – first appearance of H.A.R.D.Corps

Eternal Warrior #4 – first (brief) appearance of Bloodshot

Rai #0 – first (full) appearance of Bloodshot, first new Rai, VALIANT universe future revealed

Shadowman #8 – first appearance of Master Darque

Archer & Armstrong / Eternal Warrior #8 – first appearance of Ivar Anni-Padda (Timewalker)

Bloodshot #6 – first appearance of Colin King (Ninjak)

As a guy who has his Dad's run of Valiants, this post made me happy. Thanks!

It happened in the early 80's, when the Canadian dollar fell in value enough against the US dollar to make the exchange worth the cost of printing up different versions for the (not insubstantial) Canadian newsstand market.

As you know, Canadian price editions weren't new to the comic book market; they had been around almost as long as comic books themselves had.

But, in the early 80's, it was determined at Marvel, DC, and other newsstand distributors like Archie, etc, that there was enough of a difference to print a special Canadian newsstand edition company-wide, and that's what happened.

Marvel eventually figured out by 1986 that they only had to print the Canadian price along with the US price on the newsstand copies, which DC didn't figure out until 1988 (and Archie didn't until 1990 or so?), and that would save the additional costs associated with the separate version.

Yeah, I realize that the exchange rate had become a factor, but who was making these decisions and couldn't figure out that multiple prices could be printed on the covers of newsstand editions as well? lol

It would be interesting to know exactly how much that extra cover cost them.

Yeah, I realize that the exchange rate had become a factor, but who was making these decisions and couldn't figure out that multiple prices could be printed on the covers of newsstand editions as well? lol

It would be interesting to know exactly how much that extra cover cost them.

It just didn't occur to anyone, I guess. Multiple cover prices was a brand new thing, after all. Uncharted territory.

It probably wasn't that much more expensive. I'll have to ask someone.