• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

I'm starting to think cops don't heat up anymore.

Mods just might be where it's at . . . :whistle:

I snagged one of these for 25 cents in NM the other day. I have never seen this book in the wild. I'm not selling though despite the temptation to flip for a nice payday. Nice listing you have there though.

No one appreciates how tough this book is to find until they start looking. I found one back when I was reading JSA and it took me a couple of years. His book will sell well although I would have done a BIN on it. I think I have only found 2 copies in 7+ years of looking on and off.

:gossip: There was a BIN on it, but I thought $48 was a fair opening price. At 250 hits and 14 watchers, I think it might get a couple-two-three more bids . . . :grin:

I snagged one of these for 25 cents in NM the other day. I have never seen this book in the wild. I'm not selling though despite the temptation to flip for a nice payday. Nice listing you have there though.

No one appreciates how tough this book is to find until they start looking. I found one back when I was reading JSA and it took me a couple of years. His book will sell well although I would have done a BIN on it. I think I have only found 2 copies in 7+ years of looking on and off.

Yeah, I knew I had a copy once it was brought to my attention, because one of my long-boxes has a complete run of the title (completely unread, but only one copy of each issue), a title I never really paid any attention to, and hadn't yet moved to Mylar.

Except Ween interprets that to include ads, articles in news magazines, and other such non-story content "appearances."

Whether you agree with it or not, it says right there:

ads, articles in news magazines, and other such non-story content = "first time that a character appears anywhere"

"...in a comic book." is implied. Because that's what we're talking about. They clearly didn't feel the need to specify that they weren't talking about original art or concept sketches. Lots of other definitions could also be twisted if you didn't take the "in a comic book" implication along with them.

I think "in a comic story" would be more accurate, as there are characters whose first appearance was in a magazine (e.g. Starlord or Rocket Racoon) or graphic novel (e.g. New Mutants), and it would be disingenuous to call their first appearances in a comic a first appearance without the qualifier regarding format.

I thought New Mutants first appear in an issue of Amazing Heroes. And before you say that it's only a preview how do you account for the cover. According to some people here that issue cannot be their first appearance. But they are on the cover. Many of the board members who disagree are saying that the first appearance needs to be in a story discounting the fact that many collectors buy comics only for the cover art ( see AH! and others) Can you say that the issue is a first cover but not a first appearance. I think not. If we just follow Overstreet's long standing and easy to understand definition there is no problem and we can then call Marvel GN Novel 4 their first appearance in a comic story. and New Mutants 1 their first comic book appearance.

The easiest thing to understand is that Overstreet's longest used definition is "THE COMIC BOOK PRICE GUIDE" in very large letters on the front cover.

Apply everything you read inside it to COMIC BOOKS.

Or is that too easy?

Y'know that's the very first thing I thought when this was brought up . . . . context! :sumo:

huh... I could make a fairly large list of books I've looked for and have seen far fewer (often one or zero :( ) copies of than Spectre 54.

Except Ween interprets that to include ads, articles in news magazines, and other such non-story content "appearances."

Whether you agree with it or not, it says right there:

ads, articles in news magazines, and other such non-story content = "first time that a character appears anywhere"

"...in a comic book." is implied. Because that's what we're talking about. They clearly didn't feel the need to specify that they weren't talking about original art or concept sketches. Lots of other definitions could also be twisted if you didn't take the "in a comic book" implication along with them.

I think "in a comic story" would be more accurate, as there are characters whose first appearance was in a magazine (e.g. Starlord or Rocket Racoon) or graphic novel (e.g. New Mutants), and it would be disingenuous to call their first appearances in a comic a first appearance without the qualifier regarding format.

I thought New Mutants first appear in an issue of Amazing Heroes. And before you say that it's only a preview how do you account for the cover. According to some people here that issue cannot be their first appearance. But they are on the cover. Many of the board members who disagree are saying that the first appearance needs to be in a story discounting the fact that many collectors buy comics only for the cover art ( see AH! and others) Can you say that the issue is a first cover but not a first appearance. I think not. If we just follow Overstreet's long standing and easy to understand definition there is no problem and we can then call Marvel GN Novel 4 their first appearance in a comic story. and New Mutants 1 their first comic book appearance.

The easiest thing to understand is that Overstreet's longest used definition is "THE COMIC BOOK PRICE GUIDE" in very large letters on the front cover.

Apply everything you read inside it to COMIC BOOKS.

Or is that too easy?

Y'know that's the very first thing I thought when this was brought up . . . . context! :sumo:

The Hellboy appearance in that Dime Press magazine started this notion that non-comic book appearances of characters should be valued along with the comic book appearances. I personally collect comics (in any format) and have zero interest in a character's appearance in an article or on the cover of a magazine that doesn't contain comics. Comics can be expensive enough without me having to make up reasons to buy non-comics!

huh... I could make a fairly large list of books I've looked for and have seen far fewer (often one or zero :( ) copies of than Spectre 54.

It should be easier to find. For some reason it's not. The print while low isn't very low. I see the last issue of Spectre much more then I see this book.

And yes I can think of a ton of books too I have never found that are much tougher. I was just surprised when I starting look for the book back when he was in JSA how tough it was to find.

I've always picked up Spectre #54 because of the cover, had no idea who Mr. Terrific was. I seem to do well finding this book, though. I currently have 3 copies (1 for my Spectre set and 2 extras) and have sold copies on eBay in the past. The one I have on eBay right now is doing better than expected.

What do you guys think a good going price on Spectre #54 is I have been looking at Ebay auctions that have finished and they have been around 29.99 and then almost $50.00 at times in the past month. I am just asking because have located one and am a bidding war with someone over it on a site and dont want to go to high when i can get one cheaper.

Depends how long you want to wait until obtaining the copy for your collection. Someone posted earlier they sold them for $5. Three copies I think?

I think after the television show hype wears off it'll be much less expensive than it is now.

Of course if Mr. Wonderful becomes the next Amazing Spider-Man, then you're looking at steal prices now.

Obviously, if you overpay now, and find one cheaper later, you can sell it to recoup some of your overpayment.

I guess it depends on how you feel, and how long it takes you to earn $30 to $50. Would you trade that amount of labor for the comic?

I bought my copy a couple of years ago when I was building my set, and it was all run filler, only the Joker cover sold at a premium. Geoff Johns' JSA was in full swing, and I don't think anyone was concerned what their first appearances were. I only found out when I read it.

Longshot, think to yourself: why am I thinking of paying $30 for this book? If you can't come up with anything besides, "It's a key", then wait a year when it comes back down to $10.

I bought my copy a couple of years ago when I was building my set, and it was all run filler, only the Joker cover sold at a premium. Geoff Johns' JSA was in full swing, and I don't think anyone was concerned what their first appearances were. I only found out when I read it.

Longshot, think to yourself: why am I thinking of paying $30 for this book? If you can't come up with anything besides, "It's a key", then wait a year when it comes back down to $10.

The Corben cover alone is worth the price of admission. :makepoint:

Today's LCS $1 bin pickups.

36700232-357D-4B8F-B8A8-759F1C1E1B82_zpsja9uvkry.jpg

Honestly I was more stoked to find the Mask of The Phantasm adaptation. It brought back a TON of Animated Series memories (and MOTP is still the best Batman movie ever made).

Also the 1st appearance of Phantasm in comics

Honestly I was more stoked to find the Mask of The Phantasm adaptation. It brought back a TON of Animated Series memories (and MOTP is still the best Batman movie ever made).

Also the 1st appearance of Phantasm in comics

1st? lol Did she ever appear again? Is she relevant in any way?

The Corben cover alone is worth the price of admission. :makepoint:

:cloud9: Corben

PHANTASMcomic.jpg

Is one better than the other?

That would be the newsstand version, It's all preference