• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

That's not what he's saying. He's trying to use poorly done parts of the OPG to justify his insane POV that ads and previews are actual first appearances. Forget about brief story appearances.

First depiction regardless of where it's presented does not equal first appearance. Never has, never will.

Exactly, and I always imagine these poor deluded fools with a closet-full of Hulk 180's thinking.. "just a few more years and everyone will accept this as his first appearance and I'll be rich! Hahahahahaha!"

As someone who's main goal is to collect all sorts of comics rather than sell I can tell you that if anyone is doing that then it's pretty dumb. That doesn't mean that having a stack of Wolverine's true first appearances isn't desireable. Just take out the aspect of profit for a second. I know that is tough around here but not everyone is hear to make a buck. I want 180, 181, and a host of other Wolverine keys ( yes that includes 80 and that Foom issue) in my collection. Sometimes I have to have a comic only for the cover knowing that the story is cause once and a while the art or image is all that matters. But I also want the ones that are worth nada but are key to the history and development of the character. Just don't tell me that cause people place more value on one book over another that it replaces the truth.

(Changes name to MrParallelUniverse) :insane:

I always imagine these poor deluded fools with a closet-full of Hulk 180's thinking.. "just a few more years and everyone will accept this as his first appearance and I'll be rich! Hahahahahaha!"

A typical closet can hold at least a dozen short boxes... with 125 copies each.

That's 1,500 copies. Anyone with a closet full of Hulk 180s is already rich. :kidaround:

Pssst, hey bud, I got yer Hulk 180 right here! :insane:

2nd appearance in cameo? With #30 being 2nd full appearance :)

Yep.

Again, newbie specs forget these books used to be actually READ and ENJOYED, and the reason back issues thrived is because fans would go back to find earlier stories about their favorite characters.

MTIO 29 was a story about the Thing and Shang-Chi fighting a pile of Kungfu dudes, with an ending panel showing an unconscious Spider-woman. MTIO 30 was an actual Spider-woman story from cover to cover, hence Spider-woman fans would gravitate to it rather than 29, as it offered an entire story and "full appearance" of their fave character.

P.S. This is getting silly, those MTIO books have some of the worst art in the history of mankind and should be worth the equivalent of birdcage filler.

I guess I'm a Spider-Woman 'Newbie Spec'

Whoooo boy...didnt mean to get all that started... (Lazy boy certainly helped)

So,have you all rung up Marc at House Of Comics and gotten your copy of MTU 103?

He is great to deal with!Do it!

And it is a kewl cover and fun to read....

Jimmers

Except Ween interprets that to include ads, articles in news magazines, and other such non-story content "appearances."

Whether you agree with it or not, it says right there:

ads, articles in news magazines, and other such non-story content = "first time that a character appears anywhere"

"...in a comic book." is implied. Because that's what we're talking about. They clearly didn't feel the need to specify that they weren't talking about original art or concept sketches. Lots of other definitions could also be twisted if you didn't take the "in a comic book" implication along with them.

I'm starting to think cops don't heat up anymore.

Mods just might be where it's at . . . :whistle:

Bad typo in your listing. People won't be able to find it.

Yes, most annoying . . . (shrug) And, of course, eBay is inflexible on even correcting a typo . . . I may cancel and restart, but it does have 121 views and 12 watchers.

That's not what he's saying. He's trying to use poorly done parts of the OPG to justify his insane POV that ads and previews are actual first appearances. Forget about brief story appearances.

First depiction regardless of where it's presented does not equal first appearance. Never has, never will.

Exactly, and I always imagine these poor deluded fools with a closet-full of Hulk 180's thinking.. "just a few more years and everyone will accept this as his first appearance and I'll be rich! Hahahahahaha!"

As someone who's main goal is to collect all sorts of comics rather than sell I can tell you that if anyone is doing that then it's pretty dumb. That doesn't mean that having a stack of Wolverine's true first appearances isn't desireable. Just take out the aspect of profit for a second. I know that is tough around here but not everyone is hear to make a buck. I want 180, 181, and a host of other Wolverine keys ( yes that includes 80 and that Foom issue) in my collection. Sometimes I have to have a comic only for the cover knowing that the story is cause once and a while the art or image is all that matters. But I also want the ones that are worth nada but are key to the history and development of the character. Just don't tell me that cause people place more value on one book over another that it replaces the truth.

Yes, and "the truth" is that "first appearance" has always held the connotation amongst collectors that it was an appearance in the context of a story, not a literal interpretation of a visual of a character regardless of context.

Except Ween interprets that to include ads, articles in news magazines, and other such non-story content "appearances."

ads, articles in news magazines, and other such non-story content = "first time that a character appears anywhere"

"...in a comic book." is implied. Because that's what we're talking about. They clearly didn't feel the need to specify that they weren't talking about original art or concept sketches. Lots of other definitions could also be twisted if you didn't take the "in a comic book" implication along with them.

I think "in a comic story" would be more accurate, as there are characters whose first appearance was in a magazine (e.g. Starlord or Rocket Racoon) or graphic novel (e.g. New Mutants), and it would be disingenuous to call their first appearances in a comic a first appearance without the qualifier regarding format.

I think "in a comic story" would be more accurate, as there are characters whose first appearance was in a magazine (e.g. Starlord or Rocket Racoon) or graphic novel (e.g. New Mutants), and it would be disingenuous to call their first appearances in a comic a first appearance without the qualifier regarding format.

I thought New Mutants first appear in an issue of Amazing Heroes. And before you say that it's only a preview how do you account for the cover. According to some people here that issue cannot be their first appearance. But they are on the cover. Many of the board members who disagree are saying that the first appearance needs to be in a story discounting the fact that many collectors buy comics only for the cover art ( see AH! and others) Can you say that the issue is a first cover but not a first appearance. I think not. If we just follow Overstreet's long standing and easy to understand definition there is no problem and we can then call Marvel GN Novel 4 their first appearance in a comic story. and New Mutants 1 their first comic book appearance.

I thought New Mutants first appear in an issue of Amazing Heroes. And before you say that it's only a preview how do you account for the cover. According to some people here that issue cannot be their first appearance. But they are on the cover. Many of the board members who disagree are saying that the first appearance needs to be in a story discounting the fact that many collectors buy comics only for the cover art ( see AH! and others) Can you say that the issue is a first cover but not a first appearance. I think not. If we just follow Overstreet's long standing and easy to understand definition there is no problem and we can then call Marvel GN Novel 4 their first appearance in a comic story. and New Mutants 1 their first comic book appearance.

The easiest thing to understand is that Overstreet's longest used definition is "THE COMIC BOOK PRICE GUIDE" in very large letters on the front cover.

Apply everything you read inside it to COMIC BOOKS.

Or is that too easy?

I snagged one of these for 25 cents in NM the other day. I have never seen this book in the wild. I'm not selling though despite the temptation to flip for a nice payday. Nice listing you have there though.

No one appreciates how tough this book is to find until they start looking. I found one back when I was reading JSA and it took me a couple of years. His book will sell well although I would have done a BIN on it. I think I have only found 2 copies in 7+ years of looking on and off.

Edited by Fastballspecial

I snagged one of these for 25 cents in NM the other day. I have never seen this book in the wild. I'm not selling though despite the temptation to flip for a nice payday. Nice listing you have there though.

No one appreciates how tough this book is to find until they start looking. I found one back when I was reading JSA and it took me a couple of years. His book will sell well although I would have done a BIN on it. I think I have only found 2 copies in 7+ years of looking on and off.

sold at least 3 here for $5 each in the past 3 months. :censored: GSIMS lol

Edited by paperheart