• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

I think Wolverine's 2nd appearance is worth more than his first.

Probably not, although some ultra-high-grade copies of Giant-Size X-Men #1 might give Hulk 181 a good run.

Because Wolverine definitely doesn't appear before those two books in Hulk 180, right? hm

Nope.

First appearances = $$$. Second (or other early) appearances = zzz

Not that I'm saying it should be that way, it just is.

(thumbs u

Which of course, is why you should accumulate the hella outta 2nd Apps. (thumbs u

:whee:

large.jpg

Probably not, although some ultra-high-grade copies of Giant-Size X-Men #1 might give Hulk 181 a good run.

You've missed the last couple of years, where the board literalists will not tolerate 181 being called 'first appearance', despite the fact it's come to be hobby shorthand for whichever book the hobby has chosen to collect as most important to a character's introduction.

Because Wolverine definitely doesn't appear before those two books in Hulk 180, right? hm

Not in any relevant way, no.

Remember, these are NOT sportscards with a lone static image on them, these are multi-page comics that were originally R-E-A-D.

You've missed the last couple of years, where the board literalists will not tolerate 181 being called 'first appearance', despite the fact it's come to be hobby shorthand for whichever book the hobby has chosen to collect as most important to a character's introduction.

No, I know exactly what kind of revisionist sportscard-history is going on here, and my reply directly targeted that.

Nope.

Pretty broad statement and really depends on the value of their 1st app.

No, it has more to do with Overstreet and which appearances got listed and increased in price - look at Saberetooth, more people are probably looking for his 3rd-6th appearances than far more valuable/important characters.

Overstreet? People still look at/buy that?

Nope.

No, it has more to do with Overstreet and which appearances got listed and increased in price - look at Saberetooth, more people are probably looking for his 3rd-6th appearances than far more valuable/important characters.

yes, lots of people.

Nope.

I read it for the articles. :insane:

Definitely. It comes in handy when pricing out books/collections that you are buying. Buy at a % of OSPG and sell at market rates. lol

Nope.

(thumbs u

Which of course, is why you should accumulate the hella outta 2nd Apps. (thumbs u

large.jpg

Now is that her second appearance? She has a cameo in the previous issue doesn't she? No, seriously, not trying to start that argument again. Bloody gorgeous copy you have there Hado! Love your Spider Woman set.

Nope.

Yes, they still look at it, but this has more to do with how many people looked at Overstreet through the decades and how that ingrains onto our hobby.

A lot of current books are only worth something because OS told us they were for years. Like Sabretooth's 4th appearance.

Nope.

Yes, they still look at it, but this has more to do with how many people looked at Overstreet through the decades and how that ingrains onto our hobby.

A lot of current books are only worth something because OS told us they were for years. Like Sabretooth's 4th appearance.

I look at it primarily to base pricing of collections. It is a standard reference that both buyer and seller can accept. It does not hurt that it usually undervalues key books relative to their online graded prices, but it is catching up.

Nope.

I look at it primarily to base pricing of collections. It is a standard reference that both buyer and seller can accept. It does not hurt that it usually undervalues key books relative to their online graded prices, but it is catching up.

+1. This is exactly how I use it as well.

Remember, these are NOT sportscards with a lone static image on them, these are multi-page comics that were originally R-E-A-D.

I'm not sure how you want to number them, but if Hulk #181 and Giant-Size X-Men #1 are the first and second appearances of Wolverine, that implies that prior books like Hulk 179 and Hulk 180 are not part of the Wolverine appearances.

We can all agree that Hulk 179 is unrelated to Wolverine, but it's tough to also throw out Hulk 180, when it has more Wolverine than the amount of "first appearance" of Darkseid in Jimmy Olsen #134.

Hulk 180 has more Wolverine than the three arm panels of Doomsday's "first appearance" in Man of Steel #17.

We can defnitely agree that Hulk 181 has "more Wolverine", but Hulk 180 has "more first appearance" for Wolverine than many (market-recognized) "first apperance" comics for other characters.

Jimmy Olsen 134, while a cameo first appearance, was the first of many cameos and non cover appearances so it gets more street cred than the Hulk 180 which was followed by the full classic cover and story we all know and love in Hulk 181.

I'm not sure how you want to number them, but if Hulk #181 and Giant-Size X-Men #1 are the first and second appearances of Wolverine, that implies that prior books like Hulk 179 and Hulk 180 are not part of the Wolverine appearances.

We can all agree that Hulk 179 is unrelated to Wolverine, but it's tough to also throw out Hulk 180, when it has more Wolverine than the amount of "first appearance" of Darkseid in Jimmy Olsen #134.

Hulk 180 has more Wolverine than the three arm panels of Doomsday's "first appearance" in Man of Steel #17.

We can defnitely agree that Hulk 181 has "more Wolverine", but Hulk 180 has "more first appearance" for Wolverine than many (market-recognized) "first apperance" comics for other characters.

Exactly what does "market-recognized" mean? Everyone recognizes that the first Wolverine panel is in Hulk 180. But 181 has more demand, and since there is no (significant) difference in supply between 180 and 181, 181 is more expensive. The other examples you provided do not have the same (equal) supply relationship between the 180 equivalents and the 181 equivalents, so market (pricing) data is irrelevant.

Nope.

Sabretooth's 4th app will be worth something again once they do something interesting with the character again.

Just like Thanos's 4th appearance became worth something again once Thanos became relevant again.

With that said, Thanos is more likely, at this point, to remain high up in the Evilsphere of collectordom due to him being a key cog in the movies. The movie folks don't seem to be able to figure out what to do with Sabretooth.

Nope.

(thumbs u

large.jpg

Now is that her second appearance? She has a cameo in the previous issue doesn't she? No, seriously, not trying to start that argument again. Bloody gorgeous copy you have there Hado! Love your Spider Woman set.

Too true and I still need to get a copy of #29, I guess that wouldn't be a cameo would it?

Second Full appearance I suppose, let's go with that :sumo: