• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

I took into consideration just buying a 9.8 but early bongo comics are something I cherish in mint condition. Im waiting for a Simpsons Comics 10.0 to go on sale hopefully in the foreseeable future. I went ahead and got it because it's something Ill keep for myself long term. Im happy to own it!

Hey guys, Im new to the boards and I thought I'd come here for some advice. Im considering purchasing a CGC 9.9 Itchy and Scratchy comics #1 but before I send an offer, what do you guys think is a fair price for this book from 1993. CGC 9.8's usually go for around $40-$50.

I'm sure you can find something else to spend $3-400 on than an itchy & scratchy 1 9.9

Doesn't that go for pretty much any expensive comic purchase? Buy what you want.

This is true. Personally, I'd go the 9.8 route on it and save myself 300+/- bucks.

But, based on the last recorded sale (3-4 years ago), $300-350 for the 9.9 doesn't seem like a totally off the wall number.

I agree. Just go with a 9.8. I doubt you can tell the difference between a solid 9.8 and a 9.9.

I thought this was a forum for junkies who prize rare graded books. Why are y'all tryin' to get this guy to settle? I say spend the extra 300 and buy the more rare book otherwise what's the point of collecting anything that's encapsulated?

Edited by MrWeen

Hey guys, Im new to the boards and I thought I'd come here for some advice. Im considering purchasing a CGC 9.9 Itchy and Scratchy comics #1 but before I send an offer, what do you guys think is a fair price for this book from 1993. CGC 9.8's usually go for around $40-$50.

I'm sure you can find something else to spend $3-400 on than an itchy & scratchy 1 9.9

Doesn't that go for pretty much any expensive comic purchase? Buy what you want.

This is true. Personally, I'd go the 9.8 route on it and save myself 300+/- bucks.

But, based on the last recorded sale (3-4 years ago), $300-350 for the 9.9 doesn't seem like a totally off the wall number.

I agree. Just go with a 9.8. I doubt you can tell the difference between a solid 9.8 and a 9.9.

I thought this was a forum for junkies who prize rare graded books. Why are y'all tryin' to get this guy to settle? I say spend the extra 300 and buy the more rare book otherwise what's the point of collecting anything that's encapsulated?

I see, it's your book . . . :baiting:

My book now (;

My book now (;

Congrats to both of you! :applause:

I sold a Preacher #42 9.8 for $300 something in October. I was unaware of another sale though, and the price was actually just a placeholder "no one is going to buy this and I'll reprice it when the show gets going " price. I guess someone disagreed with me lol . Did junk sell his on the boards? Mine is the only one on GPA...

whatever, he might be a pain in the rear, but he has inspired me not to sell myself short on some of my listings

it is getting harder to acquire good stuff on the cheap, why give it away?

An Avengers 316 in raw NM+ should fetch $40. :preach:

I have a raw 316 newsstand, a solid 9.6, which I should have already listed on ebay, actually.

He did prompt me to sell about 6 dead on 9.8 raw copies of Preacher #42, that I had average at $40 BIN's a piece....then a bit after that Junkdonkey sold a CGC 9.8 copy for around a $300 BIN on :tonofbricks:

....but not that I could have sold more than 1 CGC 9.8 copy at $300.

That was a first to the market sort of buy.

I do have 1 raw 9.8 copy left though, gonna have it signed/sketched by Fabry then graded onsite at Wizard Philly in a few months.

....the time of the Preacher is-a comin'.....

I do love me some Copper Age books

NIce 2 dollar bin find at the Atlanta comic con today, found 2 more but gave them to a friend.

photo 20160207_103654.jpg

Only perverts look at that cover and think there is some rape/sex subtext there.

meh

Well you see what's wrong here too...

I got a question and didn't want to start a whole new thread to ask it, so I'm asking here.

Let's say you have a comic that goes for $100 in CGC 9.6 and you have a raw 9.6 to sell. How do you determine what price to sell it for? Do you start it low as an auction as see where it goes? Do you check what other raw 9.6s have recently sold for and price it accordingly? Or do you use some sort of % multiplier?

Thanks for your input.

I got a question and didn't want to start a whole new thread to ask it, so I'm asking here.

Let's say you have a comic that goes for $100 in CGC 9.6 and you have a raw 9.6 to sell. How do you determine what price to sell it for? Do you start it low as an auction as see where it goes? Do you check what other raw 9.6s have recently sold for and price it accordingly? Or do you use some sort of % multiplier?

Thanks for your input.

You just pick a price out of the air. lol

No, low-priced auctions blow.

Yes, check out other sales - Why shouldn't you get what others have got?

Yes, if you're confident in the grade, and have a good selling reputation, subtract cost of grading and shipping and a slight premium for the value of slabbed copies.

Thanks for your input.

frankly, i do not think there is a real formula.

i think the less common the book in general, the better % of the cgc price you can get for a raw copy, but that's not always the case.

divad posted a bunch of x-men 4 sales results. it seems that raw likely 9.6-8 copies sell for $6-$7 whereas slabs are $60-$100. i do not think the ratio would be the same for many BA books were you don't see so many high grade raw copies floating around in the wild. i sold a bunch of non-key early/mid 80s Batmans and was pleasantly surprised at how many went in the $8-$20 range, but they were really nice 9.6 and some 9.8 potential books (with the $8 ones being more mid-80s).

Agree with Divad on a formula...but there is really jot a precise formula that can be applied for every bookx as Blob noted.

The "formula" comes down to knowing the demand for a specific book and extrapolating its' raw value.

Somewhere between charging too little and charging too much. :grin: