• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

On 5/18/2021 at 11:59 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Or, for that matter, Wolverine 1 from 1982 and Ronin 1 from 1983 that TMNT 1 was "parodying". 

Byrne and, arguably, Miller were THE artists of the copper age, so maybe they really started it back in 77 or 79...

20 hours ago, the blob said:

Byrne and, arguably, Miller were THE artists of the copper age, so maybe they really started it back in 77 or 79...

I wouldn't call Byrne's X-Men work Copper. I would say Alpha Flight feels solidly Copper though. Arguably his FF run as well, although most place those early issues in the Bronze Age. If we look at the titles that Byrne and Miller were popular for both writing and illustrating, that doesn't happen until 1981 & 1982.

Speaking of Byrne, I think his Man Of Steel work is undervalued.

That was the first time Superman has been rebooted with a revised origin. It was made 48 years after Superman's first appearance, and today we are 35 years away from MoS. It eft lasting and permanent changes to the mythos and served as a template for every succeeding reboot and retelling of Superman,'s origin, including the Lois and Clark tv series or Superman TAS cartoon.

Yet, MoS 1 by Byrne, despite its low cgc 9.8 pop report is only a $100 book. I don't see it losing any value but I feel it's a copper age key with a big upside. Actually it's very hard to find MoS 1 regular edition at 9.8 being offered for sale on eBay.

1 hour ago, jick said:

That was the first time Superman has been rebooted with a revised origin. It was made 48 years after Superman's first appearance, and today we are 35 years away from MoS. It eft lasting and permanent changes to the mythos and served as a template for every succeeding reboot and retelling of Superman,'s origin, including the Lois and Clark tv series or Superman TAS cartoon.

Yet, MoS 1 by Byrne, despite its low cgc 9.8 pop report is only a $100 book. I don't see it losing any value but I feel it's a copper age key with a big upside. Actually it's very hard to find MoS 1 regular edition at 9.8 being offered for sale on eBay.

I'm not disagreeing that it's probably undervalued, but I think a lot of the revised origin in the comics was a reflection of what they did in the highly popular Reeve movie.

4 hours ago, jick said:

Maybe this was the beginning of the copper age.  

His eyes went all Shaq-Fu in that pic. 

Patrick

steel-helmet-2.jpg

3 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I'm not disagreeing that it's probably undervalued, but I think a lot of the revised origin in the comics was a reflection of what they did in the highly popular Reeve movie.

Byrne kept Ma and Pa Kent alive up to his adulthood - which carried on to future revisions of Superman.  Byrne also took out the Superboy in Smallville part, which opened the door for numerous non-Clark Kent Superboys.

Byrne made Lana know that Clark had powers.  I am not sure if that continued in succeeding revisions of Superman.

He also changed Luthor from mad scientist into a business tycoon - but I think the credit to that belongs to Marv Wolfman.

But yes, I also did see a lot of the Reeve movie in his origin - with the farm and Kansas connection.

Byrne's Man Of Steel was dated 1986 so it was the "first" revision in print - and Batman Year One and Perez's Wonder Woman followed (and those two books are more examples of undervalued books for me!)

The Superman series that followed also started the trend (not sure if it's good) or issues being renumbered to number 1's again!  Every publisher followed suit especially in the 90's.

The post-Crisis reboots set the stage for Marvel reboot stories like the Ultimate line of comics or even Byrne's Spidey Chapter One, or even that time when the Image Comics creators briefly took over the MCU in the 90's and the issues went back to #1. 

So having said all of that, I MoS 1 deserves more love than it's currently getting now.  But actually while they sell for such a low price on eBay (maybe $100 to $120) I hardly see any 9.8's listed, it's even been a while since the regular #1 has been listed.  It could be collectors realizing that the pop reports are quite low that it's not worth their time to sell it as it would be very hard to find again.

15 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Agree, and the early issues of his Superman run 1 thru 22. 

What's kinda crazy is that a key Marvel book from around the same time could easily sell for $600 in CGC 9.8, but recently a CGC 9.9 of Superman 1 only went for that much. This might end up being a major bargain:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324524072010?hash=item4b8f245c4a%3Ag%3APtgAAOSwxjZgUKUj&nma=true&si=sYFZpAP8jgg2HhKdrZ3u8RpT1os%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

What's kinda crazy is that a key Marvel book from around the same time could easily sell for $600 in CGC 9.8, but recently a CGC 9.9 of Superman 1 only went for that much. This might end up being a major bargain:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324524072010?hash=item4b8f245c4a%3Ag%3APtgAAOSwxjZgUKUj&nma=true&si=sYFZpAP8jgg2HhKdrZ3u8RpT1os%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Yeah, that's a decent price for that 9.9.   

Talked about this before, but Superman went from being the most popular hero in the World in the 1930's-1950's, to maybe not even in the Top 10 today.  Changes in society, morals, likes, the darker-grittier Superheroes seem to have lapped him in popularity.    His Comics seem to follow that logic.   I still have him as my favorite DC character.  

Edited by Mercury Man

18 hours ago, jick said:

The Superman series that followed also started the trend (not sure if it's good) or issues being renumbered to number 1's again! 

Nope. Superman was renamed Adventures of Superman and a new title was added.

18 hours ago, jick said:

The post-Crisis reboots set the stage for Marvel reboot stories like the Ultimate line of comics or even Byrne's Spidey Chapter One, or even that time when the Image Comics creators briefly took over the MCU in the 90's and the issues went back to #1.

Marvel just cancels their titles to relaunch them with new #1s because their sales plummet after the first issue. They put no effort into rebooting or changing continuity in any intelligent or intelligible way. Their alternate universes/timelines are only supplemental and deservedly short-lived.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Nope. Superman was renamed Adventures of Superman and a new title was added.

This is basically what Marvel did with X-Men. X-men became Uncanny X-men, and then they introduced a new X-Men title. Granted the time lines are way different, since the X-Men title change happened long before they introduced a new title.

17 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Yeah, that's a decent price for that 9.9.   

Talked about this before, but Superman went from being the most popular hero in the World in the 1930's-1950's, to maybe not even in the Top 10 today.  Changes in society, morals, likes, the darker-grittier Superheroes seem to have lapped him in popularity.    His Comics seem to follow that logic.   I still have him as my favorite DC character.  

https://72point.news/visit-anaheim-americas-favorite-superhero

52 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:
3 hours ago, JTLarsen said:

Interesting, but yet Superman and Action are not in the Top 50 for sales on Comichron the last two months

I wouldn't use comic book sales as an ultimate indication of the true popularity of a character. When it comes to a character like Superman who is a part of American culture perhaps like no other comic book character, It's more than just comic books. You have to look deeper than that. Remember, everyone knows who Superman is. Not nearly as many know who Wolverine is, despite that fact that us comic book fans would like to think otherwise.

Edited by Jeffro.

On 5/20/2021 at 3:35 PM, the blob said:

Seriously? Lee, Mcfarlane, Lefield, Silvestri, Portacio, Jae Lee. That’s about half of the true copper age guys that define the era. Pump the brakes on that Byrne and Miller stuff.

2 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

Seriously? Lee, Mcfarlane, Lefield, Silvestri, Portacio, Jae Lee. That’s about half of the true copper age guys that define the era. Pump the brakes on that Byrne and Miller stuff.

??? Those guys might have been working a bit in the (later) Copper age, but they didn't define anything until the following age.

9 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

wouldn't use comic book sales as an ultimate indication of the true popularity of a character. When it comes to a character like Superman who is a part of American culture perhaps like no other comic book character, It's more than just comic books. You have to look deeper than that. Remember, everyone knows who Superman is. Not nearly as many know who Wolverine is, despite that fact that us comic book fans would like to think otherwise.

I understand what you are saying.  My 78 year old Mom knows who Superman is but not Wolverine.  But at the end of the day, he is currently not moving the needle in the medium he helped put on the map.