• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

Seriously? Lee, Mcfarlane, Lefield, Silvestri, Portacio, Jae Lee. That’s about half of the true copper age guys that define the era. Pump the brakes on that Byrne and Miller stuff.

Hard to define an era when you become relevant toward the end of it. 

46 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

All modern artists

Miller and Byrne ruled the copper age 

Throw Perez in there too, if we’re including DC 

I feel like perez is the next level only because I don't know him for being a writer too. 

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

Hard to define an era when you become relevant toward the end of it. 

Did babe ruth define the dead ball era? No. He ushered in the next era. Line those guys. Except silvestri. He might have as a publisher, not as an artist.

3 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:
On 5/20/2021 at 3:35 PM, the blob said:

Byrne and, arguably, Miller were THE artists of the copper age, so maybe they really started it back in 77 or 79...

Seriously? Lee, Mcfarlane, Lefield, Silvestri, Portacio, Jae Lee. That’s about half of the true copper age guys that define the era. Pump the brakes on that Byrne and Miller stuff.

When those guys showed up, Byrne and Miller were still tearing it up. 

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:
10 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

wouldn't use comic book sales as an ultimate indication of the true popularity of a character. When it comes to a character like Superman who is a part of American culture perhaps like no other comic book character, It's more than just comic books. You have to look deeper than that. Remember, everyone knows who Superman is. Not nearly as many know who Wolverine is, despite that fact that us comic book fans would like to think otherwise.

I understand what you are saying.  My 78 year old Mom knows who Superman is but not Wolverine.  But at the end of the day, he is currently not moving the needle in the medium he helped put on the map.    

Perhaps but we're talking about overall popularity and moving the needle in the medium is only a very small part of that popularity. Wolverine will never be the cultural icon that Superman, Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man are. Hell, Scooby Doo is a larger cultural icon than Wolverine is. 

5 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

I get the feeling you didn't live through the Copper Age. I grew up in the 80s and fell in love with comics during that period. Byrne, Miller & Perez were the three kings of the era. Zeck to a lesser degree. Then you saw the first flickers of the rock star artists arrive with Art Adams, Peter Hsu & Tim Vigil. And then finally the true rock stars of McFarlane, Lee, Liefeld & Gang arrived on the scene to define the transition away from the Copper Age and into the Modern, or whatever age lie in-between.

Edited by Legion HQ

12 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

??? Those guys might have been working a bit in the (later) Copper age, but they didn't define anything until the following age.

McFarlane was definitely big for a few years before the widely accepted end of the Copper Age. Liefeld, too, to a lesser extent. Jim Lee was just getting going, but was probably second only to McFarlane for at least a year during Copper. But the idea that they defined the following age is just another indication that we need another age. Because I see a wide variety of styles being popular as indicative of comics now, whereas the flashiness of "the Image style" (not that they were all the same, but definitely they tended to be similarly all in-your-face) was definitely a driving force then.

14 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

When those guys showed up, Byrne and Miller were still tearing it up. 

I can't even put Byrne in Miller's category.  Byrne did some very nice work for a long time.  Miller changed everything. Like the Beatles.  Along with Alan Moore. 

15 hours ago, the blob said:

I feel like perez is the next level only because I don't know him for being a writer too. 

I understand what you mean, but while he was the artist on Wonder Woman up to #24, he was the writer up to #62.

3 hours ago, PeterPark said:

My understanding was that he showed up with the patch before, but in that issue says "call me Patch" or something like that. Do you have a picture of the preview in marvel age annual 4?

MCP 10

ED1255FB-95F2-4363-99F8-BCBEAD485324.jpeg