• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Wolverine 1 is credited as first Patch by CGC and came out in ‘88 .  MCP 10 is ‘89

CGC doesn't always get these things right. 

1990 Marvel Comics Card #37 (Wolverine) / MINT / HipComic

I think the point is, he might wear a patch before that issue but doesn't assume the different persona, 'til he does.

Edited by PeterPark

1 hour ago, BrooksR said:

Marvel age had original stories? I thought it was a promotional news kind of thing?

The annuals sometimes had short stories (like 4 pages) to promote an upcoming comic. It might be that same annual that had a teaser for Damage Control. I think Annual 3 was entirely told as if it was a talkshow, illustrated by Fred Hembeck.

22 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The annuals sometimes had short stories (like 4 pages) to promote an upcoming comic. It might be that same annual that had a teaser for Damage Control. I think Annual 3 was entirely told as if it was a talkshow, illustrated by Fred Hembeck.

Speedball also

On 5/22/2021 at 4:07 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 5/22/2021 at 3:33 PM, tvindy said:

The Ultimate universe seems to have some staying power.

Really? Isn't it dead?

Thats a little unfair. You cant deny the popularity in the early 2000s for several years. 
I hated the Ultimate universe, but it had its fans for many years. 

On 5/23/2021 at 6:55 PM, the blob said:
On 5/23/2021 at 3:42 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

Seriously? Lee, Mcfarlane, Lefield, Silvestri, Portacio, Jae Lee. That’s about half of the true copper age guys that define the era. Pump the brakes on that Byrne and Miller stuff.

Hard to define an era when you become relevant toward the end of it. 

Agreed Byrne, Perez, and Miller easily in that age. 

10 hours ago, cd4ever said:
On 5/23/2021 at 7:09 PM, Jeffro. said:

When those guys showed up, Byrne and Miller were still tearing it up. 

I can't even put Byrne in Miller's category.  Byrne did some very nice work for a long time.  Miller changed everything. Like the Beatles.  Along with Alan Moore. 

:whatthe: Thats a joke right? 

Byrne's work deserves to be right there next to him and Perez each for their own reasons. 

1 hour ago, MyNameIsLegion said:

Imagine if we'd been stuck with the David Hasselhoff Nick Fury and not the Sam Jackson Nick Fury!

That would have been legendary.  Hopefully without the shirt Baywatch style. 

Patrick

20 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I actually liked these better than Man of Steel

F83937DD-8A0E-493B-917F-144F113F7CB9.jpeg

77F7111F-4A07-4EBA-B152-DA199DCA4943.jpeg

I think Alan Moore superhero books should also be going up!  He changed the medium, and he wrote very few superhero comics (not counting Swamp Thing).  Maybe these two Superman stories, DC Presents 85, Superman Annual with Mogul, and Killing Joke?  That's all I can think from the top of my head. 

Enough of the Byrne, Perez, Miller discussions.  Is Groo considered Copper Age?  Destroyer Duck #1 has been exploding on eBay . averaging $500 nowadays in CGC 9.8!

2 hours ago, MyNameIsLegion said:

umm, I wasn't joking. 1998

Nick-Fury-Agent-of-SHIELD.thumb.jpg.05ac65dd575216a6f14a180a595cadfd.jpg

I remember watching this when it came out. Had low expectations (maybe that was key), but really enjoyed it. The Hoff pulled off the look as well. I need to find a copy and re-watch it. Probably doesn't hold up... 

1 hour ago, jick said:

I think Alan Moore superhero books should also be going up!  He changed the medium, and he wrote very few superhero comics (not counting Swamp Thing).  Maybe these two Superman stories, DC Presents 85, Superman Annual with Mogul, and Killing Joke?  That's all I can think from the top of my head. 

Enough of the Byrne, Perez, Miller discussions.  Is Groo considered Copper Age?  Destroyer Duck #1 has been exploding on eBay . averaging $500 nowadays in CGC 9.8!

Batman Annual #11, I believe, with Clayface as the villain.

1 hour ago, jick said:

He also did a Clayface (3rd version) Batman story in Annual #11, a couple of issues of the 1980s Vigilante series, one of the hypothetical Phantom Stranger origin stories, and I believe a 2-part Green Arrow backup story in Detective Comics.  But my favorite Alan Moore DC (not Watchmen) super-hero story is the JLA appearance in Saga of the Swamp Thing #24:

684863.jpg.bb10e1dd063080353ae6089ae9bce096.jpg

9 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

The MCU took as much from the ultimate universe as they did from the regular versions 

I've been wondering if it would be worth speculating on Ultimates #1 as the first appearance of the Samuel L. Jackson Nick Fury, and hence the first glimpse at MCU continuity?  hm :whistle:

or has that ship sailed already?  zzz

47 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I've been wondering if it would be worth speculating on Ultimates #1 as the first appearance of the Samuel L. Jackson Nick Fury, and hence the first glimpse at MCU continuity?  hm :whistle:

In the MCU, I think the 'Ultimates' should really be credited with 'more' than it does. As in, it visually heavily influenced the Avengers movies. Nick Fury, Cap's costume, Black Widow and Hawkeye as SHIELD partners... however it did go a bit dark at times if I remember, wasn't Hulk a killer and Thor a mental patient?...so, maybe we all just forget about it and move on. 

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

Ultimate Nick Fury first appears in Ultimate Team-Up #5