• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Ultimate Nick Fury first appears in Ultimate Team-Up #5

Maybe... but doesn't look like Sam Jackson to me.

ultimate_nick.thumb.jpeg.ba8a45fcddbd9cc9081e4f23f75934bd.jpeg

1 hour ago, peted76 said:

and Thor a mental patient?...

I liked that part of the initial run of the Ultimates.  Yes, it has become an overused trope that the hero is really nuts and playing out all these make-believe super-heroics in his head.  But given how new the Ultimate Universe was at the time, you really thought Millar might be going to go there, making this Thor kind of a tragic psychotic mascot for the others to humor/babysit.  As I recall, the eventual reveal was pretty cool.

3 hours ago, Zonker said:

I've been wondering if it would be worth speculating on Ultimates #1 as the first appearance of the Samuel L. Jackson Nick Fury, and hence the first glimpse at MCU continuity?  hm :whistle:

or has that ship sailed already?  zzz

I thought that was an issue of ultimate team-up? It is currently a $20-25 book, give or take, in nice shape, although i am sure 9.8 copies are a ton

On 5/24/2021 at 10:59 AM, cd4ever said:

I can't even put Byrne in Miller's category.  Byrne did some very nice work for a long time.  Miller changed everything. Like the Beatles.  Along with Alan Moore. 

Step away from the crack pipe. Step away.

49 minutes ago, the blob said:

yeah, ultimate team up 5 is months before ultimates 2: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Ultimate_Marvel_Team_Up_Vol_1_5

is he not referenced by name in #5? or are you picking #2 because that's where they basically admit he is a samuel jackson clone?

I'm going by the visual depiction, first shown in The Ultimates #2, and made explicit by the comment in the pic from the above post from The Ultimates #4.

The page from Ultimate Team-Up #5 just doesn't do it for me.  From the palette used by the colorist, I guess maybe this Nick is African American, you cannot really tell, but certainly doesn't scream Samuel L Jackson like the later appearances do.  I dunno, feels like they already pulled a retcon in the Ultimate universe, between Ultimate Team-Up and the subsequent launch of The Ultimates.  

ultimate_nick.thumb.jpeg.ab1e7443aa14a29413aa62ef0667b8b5.jpeg

8 hours ago, Zonker said:

I've been wondering if it would be worth speculating on Ultimates #1 as the first appearance of the Samuel L. Jackson Nick Fury, and hence the first glimpse at MCU continuity?  hm :whistle:

or has that ship sailed already?  zzz

Ship already sailed. First appearance of other characters people are speculating on. It's cooled off, but you're not going to find it for cheap on eBay anymore. 

9 hours ago, Zonker said:

I'm going by the visual depiction, first shown in The Ultimates #2, and made explicit by the comment in the pic from the above post from The Ultimates #4.

The page from Ultimate Team-Up #5 just doesn't do it for me.  From the palette used by the colorist, I guess maybe this Nick is African American, you cannot really tell, but certainly doesn't scream Samuel L Jackson like the later appearances do.  I dunno, feels like they already pulled a retcon in the Ultimate universe, between Ultimate Team-Up and the subsequent launch of The Ultimates.  

ultimate_nick.thumb.jpeg.ab1e7443aa14a29413aa62ef0667b8b5.jpeg

OK, I agree, I had never seen the inside of the book, but sellers on ebay like to pimp it. I guess it is the first "ulimate" nick fury, and we all know what the "ultimate" nick fury is supposed to look like, so....but yeah, this guy isn't even bald

9 hours ago, the blob said:

anyone can ask whatever they want

If Elfquest ever gets picked up for a show or movie that price will be cheap very quickly.

46 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

If Elfquest ever gets picked up for a show or movie that price will be cheap very quickly.

$3100? You think a show makes it $5000? $10000? I understand Special edition 15 seems to make anything plausible