• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,812 posts in this topic

Good point regarding liquidity...rarity is a good thing, but if there's too few copies in circulation,  there's no active market for people to follow/manipulate/hype. 

Case in point...the biggest pound-for-pound DC copper book value-wise is the Sandman 8 variant. Good luck finding one. If you do track one down, good luck convincing the owner to sell.  GPA shows a whopping 4 sales since January 2020. It's just not built to be hyped the same way the much more liquid keys of the era are. There's 87 copies on the census total. So far this year, 305 copies of Secret Wars 8 have sold in 9 8. 

Best of DC #10 is an underrated book,  but the growth in it is going to have to be driven by organic demand for the same lack of liquidity reason you mentioned- there's just not a big profit motive or supply for dealers or speculators to push it.

On 12/6/2021 at 6:27 PM, MAR1979 said:

The Batman's Penguin-centric HBO Max spinoff series starring Colin Farrell has been confirmed.

The first ever published Origin of The Penguin was in Best of DC #10 from Dec 1980 (cover dated March 1981). It's a very difficult book to find in high-grade that should be a minor Copper Age Key but alas will never be.

Reasons why the book will never be hot on eBay (or anywhere else) despite today's Penguin announcement.

1) It's a DC not a Marvel
2) It's a DC not a Marvel
3) It's a DC not a Marvel
4) CGC Census population is very low. Hot books must have enough high-graded copies so that there are always 6-10 on eBay at any given time. In additional most dealers must have a large stock of the book in 9.6 and 9.8. It's pretty much impossible to manipulate the market when the book is very difficult to find in high grade.
5) Did I mention It's a DC not a Marvel ?

A DC character can get a new TV show with a somewhat "famous" talent as the lead and the characters books will go almost nowhere. However all it takes is the slightest false rumor of some only seen once Marvel Character potentially receiving a mere off-the-cuff mention in a Marvel film or TV series and the book will spike to near 1K. Example; Marvel Team-Up 131 "White Rabbit"

Best_of_DC10.thumb.jpg.60db77699cd668879ac5107ad2aaa4d4.jpg

Yeah I do own the above slab as I'm a rather big collector of small digests, but I really just wanted to rant again about how DC books never and will "go nuclear". Tiny bumps at best for DC, outliers are nearly but not quite nonexistent.

6) Forgettable cover

7) Origins are not hotly collected

8) It's a digest

On 12/10/2021 at 8:25 AM, 1Cool said:

I finally got around to looking through the boxes last night and pulled out 22 copies of ASM 365 and 18 copies of Spiderman 2099 #1!  My fingers are crossed that the market for both of them doesn't collapse by lunch :( 

Submit the top 3 copies of each, and sell the rest raw....just in case.^^

On 12/23/2021 at 11:03 AM, ThothAmon said:

I can play. 

image.jpg

To further prove DC is not Marvel:

Using that top cover - Shining Knight, Dr Midnight, Steel, Hawkman, and Starman  have all appeared on DC live action Television in either or both 2020 and 2021 yet their appearances have NOT gone up even a dime!

If that run-off-mill book was a Marvel and the 5 characters mentioned had been on a Marvel TV show it might be $200 in 9.8....

Stargirl has a very well done TV show. 1st app of the character "Stars and STRIPE 0" now sits unsold at $150 in CGC 9.8.    Then look at 9.8's prices commanded by Kate Bishop's 1st app or Echo's 1st app or even the White Vision WCA 47 nonsense.   My guess Naomi's 1st app will have little or no demand as well.   This is why DC book's except for outliers do not get hot at best they get momentarily lukewarm.   Folk's Mr Bones Infinity Inc's will not be an outlier no matter who drew the 1st app.  Anyone spending 3 figures on it thinking it's an "investment" will be sadly mistaken.

P.S. Then you have the MTU with White Rabbit commanding 4 figures at one point this year. A one and done throwaway character - Seriously WTF?  Yet  Courtney Whitmore (Stargirl nee Star Spangled Kid II) 1st app will be under $100 in CGC 9.8 with little interest in 2022 and that's the title Character of an on-air DC TV show.  I Like DC but they are so dwarfed by Marvel its nearly unbelievable.

Edited by MAR1979

A lot of bidding and a lot of watchers (44 to be precise) on Moon Knight #57 9.8.  It's a Stephen Platt issue so someone may confuse it for a Todd McFarlane and is collecting for that? :shiftyeyes:

Marc Spector: Moon Knight #57 CGC 9.8 HIGH GRADE Marvel KEY Stephen Platt Cover | eBay

Edited by whetteon

On 12/23/2021 at 10:36 AM, MAR1979 said:

To further prove DC is not Marvel:

Using that top cover - Shining Knight, Dr Midnight, Steel, Hawkman, and Starman  have all appeared on DC live action Television in either or both 2020 and 2021 yet their appearances have NOT gone up even a dime!

If that run-off-mill book was a Marvel and the 5 characters mentioned had been on a Marvel TV show it might be $200 in 9.8....

Stargirl has a very well done TV show. 1st app of the character "Stars and STRIPE 0" now sits unsold at $150 in CGC 9.8.    Then look at 9.8's prices commanded by Kate Bishop's 1st app or Echo's 1st app or even the White Vision WCA 47 nonsense.   My guess Naomi's 1st app will have little or no demand as well.   This is why DC book's except for outliers do not get hot at best they get momentarily lukewarm.   Folk's Mr Bones Infinity Inc's will not be an outlier no matter who drew the 1st app.  Anyone spending 3 figures on it thinking it's an "investment" will be sadly mistaken.

P.S. Then you have the MTU with White Rabbit commanding 4 figures at one point this year. A one and done throwaway character - Seriously WTF?  Yet  Courtney Whitmore (Stargirl nee Star Spangled Kid II) 1st app will be under $100 in CGC 9.8 with little interest in 2022 and that's the title Character of an on-air DC TV show.  I Like DC but they are so dwarfed by Marvel its nearly unbelievable.

Yeah, they're called Marvel Zombies for a reason.

Also, while the White Rabbit is no Dr. Doom, neither is she a one-and-done throwaway.

On 12/23/2021 at 6:19 PM, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, they're called Marvel Zombies for a reason.

Also, while the White Rabbit is no Dr. Doom, neither is she a one-and-done throwaway.

Did not realize had few dozen appearances the past 38 years.  Well worth the $1000 for MTU 131 then </sarcasm>