• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,812 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2021 at 9:37 PM, divad said:

I thought she was the definition of "a one-and-done throwaway," but what do I know . . . (shrug)

:bigsmile:

All I know is that I’m eventually going to feel stupid buying a copy to fill that hole in my MTU run. It’s always been a run that I’ve mostly pulled out of dollar boxes.  I’m not a 9.8 guy, so it looks like I will feel $30 stupid, not $500 stupid, but still.

On 12/23/2021 at 11:09 PM, jick said:

Man Of Steel #1 by Byrne.. the regular cover. Low census report (I think around 100 at 9.8), and Byrne's Marvel stuff been getting lotsa love lately. His DC Man of Steel hits the nostalgia spot for many. 9.8 already hit $200, I think this has nowhere to go but up.

Low-ish census due to low values in past. Now after decades it's finally worth it to some to submit for grading.  We've seen this before as the census numbers climb on a large print run DC book values will drop as demand sinks.  Yeah in short term especially it will go up, but IMHO it is not a good investment for very long, it will fall below $100 in 1-2 years. It's huge print run Non Batman DC after all....

BTW folk I'm not anti-DC, in fact from mid 80's until I stopped collecting in 2011 due to the hubris of Lee, Johns, Didio.  I was a huge DC buyer with my purchases easily outnumbering Marvel + Independents combined. I was a fan of DC's deep rich tapestry until that was destroyed by the aforementioned who trio actions showed they cared merely about increasing their short-term Corporate Bonus amounts at the expense of the future and then current fans. 

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/23/2021 at 7:37 PM, divad said:

I thought she was the definition of "a one-and-done throwaway," but what do I know . . . (shrug)

:bigsmile:

Be careful. You're upsetting my 9.8 Rabbit (captured raw in the 80's) <3

On 12/23/2021 at 11:09 PM, jick said:

Man Of Steel #1 by Byrne.. the regular cover. Low census report (I think around 100 at 9.8), and Byrne's Marvel stuff been getting lotsa love lately. His DC Man of Steel hits the nostalgia spot for many. 9.8 already hit $200, I think this has nowhere to go but up.

This book? :wishluck:3420535B-5C6C-4774-BCF8-C3723A29BB39.thumb.jpeg.74c19a478dbc02646809623c2f771830.jpeg

On 12/23/2021 at 11:36 AM, MAR1979 said:

To further prove DC is not Marvel:

Using that top cover - Shining Knight, Dr Midnight, Steel, Hawkman, and Starman  have all appeared on DC live action Television in either or both 2020 and 2021 yet their appearances have NOT gone up even a dime!

If that run-off-mill book was a Marvel and the 5 characters mentioned had been on a Marvel TV show it might be $200 in 9.8....

Stargirl has a very well done TV show. 1st app of the character "Stars and STRIPE 0" now sits unsold at $150 in CGC 9.8.    Then look at 9.8's prices commanded by Kate Bishop's 1st app or Echo's 1st app or even the White Vision WCA 47 nonsense.   My guess Naomi's 1st app will have little or no demand as well.   This is why DC book's except for outliers do not get hot at best they get momentarily lukewarm.   Folk's Mr Bones Infinity Inc's will not be an outlier no matter who drew the 1st app.  Anyone spending 3 figures on it thinking it's an "investment" will be sadly mistaken.

P.S. Then you have the MTU with White Rabbit commanding 4 figures at one point this year. A one and done throwaway character - Seriously WTF?  Yet  Courtney Whitmore (Stargirl nee Star Spangled Kid II) 1st app will be under $100 in CGC 9.8 with little interest in 2022 and that's the title Character of an on-air DC TV show.  I Like DC but they are so dwarfed by Marvel its nearly unbelievable.

Trying to think of what happens to the value of stuff after the consensus is that it’s not collectable.

#Comics

On 12/25/2021 at 1:21 PM, JTLarsen said:

Trying to think of what happens to the value of stuff after the consensus is that it’s not collectable.

#Comics

It goes down in price. 

From 1961-present the chasm between Marvel and DC book is growing.  Outside of Batman and Joker who are usually as hot as B-level Marvel Characters, The only recent outlier's are seemingly Harley Quinn and Black Adam - Shazam is perhaps equal to a C- level Marvel Character.  Sandman has started to freezer chill.  TV Shows don't help DC, Large Budget Motion Pictures Don't help DC.  It's just the way it

.Smart Money purchases only Marvel. True collectors also purchase DC and realize stagnation is the standard.

On 12/25/2021 at 1:52 PM, MAR1979 said:

It goes down in price. 

From 1961-present the chasm between Marvel and DC book is growing.  Outside of Batman and Joker who are usually as hot as B-level Marvel Characters, The only recent outlier's are seemingly Harley Quinn and Black Adam - Shazam is perhaps equal to a C- level Marvel Character.  Sandman has started to freezer chill.  TV Shows don't help DC, Large Budget Motion Pictures Don't help DC.  It's just the way it

.Smart Money purchases only Marvel. True collectors also purchase DC and realize stagnation is the standard.

Seems like it should be a great time to buy up some DC, but....1F027B00-C1A2-4423-8557-D92F10933B8B.gif.3293a4f3d9e53fd12953db8a48b0c7ee.gif

On 12/25/2021 at 1:20 AM, MAR1979 said:

Low-ish census due to low values in past. Now after decades it's finally worth it to some to submit for grading.  We've seen this before as the census numbers climb on a large print run DC book values will drop as demand sinks.  Yeah in short term especially it will go up, but IMHO it is not a good investment for very long, it will fall below $100 in 1-2 years. It's huge print run Non Batman DC after all....

BTW folk I'm not anti-DC, in fact from mid 80's until I stopped collecting in 2011 due to the hubris of Lee, Johns, Didio.  I was a huge DC buyer with my purchases easily outnumbering Marvel + Independents combined. I was a fan of DC's deep rich tapestry until that was destroyed by the aforementioned who trio actions showed they cared merely about increasing their short-term Corporate Bonus amounts at the expense of the future and then current fans. 

On 12/25/2021 at 11:43 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

This book? :wishluck:3420535B-5C6C-4774-BCF8-C3723A29BB39.thumb.jpeg.74c19a478dbc02646809623c2f771830.jpeg

Yes this book.

I just checked census report, there's onlly 74! That could perhaps be the smallest population for a key 80's era Byrne book.

It's actually the special collector's edition version that has a much higher population at cgc9.8 with 191.

So I think this Byrne book is a sleeper. It just crossed the $200 mark for the first time in the last eBay sale and I think it is heating up. It's just that not many are out there and these hardly pop up on eBay.

On 12/25/2021 at 5:11 PM, jick said:

Yes this book.

I just checked census report, there's onlly 74! That could perhaps be the smallest population for a key 80's era Byrne book.

It's actually the special collector's edition version that has a much higher population at cgc9.8 with 191.

So I think this Byrne book is a sleeper. It just crossed the $200 mark for the first time in the last eBay sale and I think it is heating up. It's just that not many are out there and these hardly pop up on eBay.

Is it really a “key” though? Superman books seemed to have an “event of the century” every few years in the 80s and 90s. And Byrne, good, but does he make it a key? And it’s DC, so there that…. I just don’t see it.

On 12/25/2021 at 10:22 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Is it really a “key” though? Superman books seemed to have an “event of the century” every few years in the 80s and 90s. And Byrne, good, but does he make it a key? And it’s DC, so there that…. I just don’t see it.

To me in traditional sense I agree with you that it would not be a Key. That said it is a really great rebranding of superman in The Man of Steel which unlike many attempts at doing this to other characters has failed this is one of those that stuck.   This added by the reset to superman #1  before , so this combination with John Byrne Mini . I can see why there would be draw on it's own. 

Although almost every hype these days comes from movie speculation and they are in the works for Man of Steel 2. 

Funny as whoever picks my CGC board Raffle this year gets one of the Special Raffle Editions with letter that was this in TPB form. (You had to fill out survey cards that were in a few comics to enter to win) also foot note the aforementioned Superman #1 had those raffle forms in them. 

On 12/25/2021 at 11:52 AM, MAR1979 said:

It goes down in price. 

Smart Money is publisher and title and genre agnostic. It knows the patterns of the cycles and makes money on Marvel, DC, Fox, Timely, EC, etc. 

There are plenty of DC books that have spiked and generated great returns the past few years as well if you know where to look. Smart money played that properly as well.

Edited by kimik

On 12/25/2021 at 6:11 PM, jick said:

Yes this book.

I just bought a copy about a month ago, though it was the collector’s edition. To me, it highlights the realities of the Marvel vs DC lemmings… I bought a CGC 9.8 for $40. That’s insane… there are so many DC (and indie) bargains right now that common sense says it’s time to stock up. This book is a great example of a current bargain.

Edited by Brock

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the Man of Steel mini series one of the first books to use variant / alternative covers?  I am trying to remember when variant or alternative covers became "a thing" and this series seems to be one of the first I recall.

On 12/26/2021 at 1:25 PM, DWL said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the Man of Steel mini series one of the first books to use variant / alternative covers?  I am trying to remember when variant or alternative covers became "a thing" and this series seems to be one of the first I recall.

Yup

1st variant cover (thumbsu

On 12/25/2021 at 1:52 PM, MAR1979 said:

It goes down in price. 

You should research the difference between absolute and relative. Marvel appreciating faster doesn’t mean DC is dead. Marvel is hot because of movies and TV. Lots of DC are appreciating, too. Because of comic collectors. 

On 12/27/2021 at 2:25 AM, DWL said:

It was also perhaps the first direct reboot of Superman, or perhaps any major A-list comic character.  This is what started a slew of reboots.  I think Superman's original has been rebooted 100 times since this one.

Of course Superman went through an indirect, soft reboot when there was that transition from Earth One and Earth Two crossing over from the "leaping" Superman of Siegel and Schuster to the "flying" Superman -mostly from the Boring to Swan era?

But Man of Steel 1 is the first comic to make reboots fashionable, and it was a template for thousands of other reboots that have since followed - both from Marvel and DC.  So I guess it is a key issue in that way.  And the population is only 74 at 9.8 which is crazy low!